IGNORED

Who Created the Activision Box Art?

The Eyeball Mural

Maybe I have missed the answer to this question. I've looked through the old threads about who did Atari 2600 box artwork, and of course the Art of Atari book thread (which will answer most of the questions anyone has ever had about Atari's art and artists), but does anyone know who created the box art for the first wave of Activision games for the Atari 2600? I'm asking about the artworks with the bold and simplistic line art, the bright solid colors, the rainbow motion stripes, etc.

Perhaps they were the work of a single artist, or perhaps the style was art-directed with multiple artists employed. Do we know who did the art, who was art director or packaging designer, who designed the Activision logo, etc.?

The only bit of knowledge I have is that the typeface used on those designs looks to be Futura Bold (or some similar weight of Futura).

Any info, or pointers to existing forum threads or external sources of information, is very appreciated!

• Like 3

I still think someone should make an Activision Anthology Remix that makes the games look like the box art, smooth lines with Bit Trip Runner style rainbow trails.

I've thought so, too. With all the attempts we've seen to update/remake old games with new graphics, it's amazing that nobody's already tried to do this.

I'd have to check my notes but off the top of my head.

Marshall Rogers did Title Match Pro Wrestling

Frank Cirocco did Kung Fu Master

Frank Cirocco did Commando

Looking over old emails I found one from illustrator Denis Nolan.

In part it reads.

>> Yes, Worm Whomper, Frostbite Bailey, Pressure Cooker and Private Eye are mine.

I'm talking about the first wave only, and Atari 2600 games only.

From my original post: Does anyone know who created the box art for the first wave of Activision games for the Atari 2600? I'm asking about the artworks with the bold and simplistic line art, the bright solid colors, the rainbow motion stripes, etc.

I have all the art for the boxes and labels completed and could possibly remake them with the cover art in a very short period of time if there's people that are interested. Actually I have hundreds of Atari 2600 reproduction labels completed and for sale.

Here's some of the ones I offer...
Atari: Children's, picture, text only, text with numbers, Sears pictures and Sears pictures unproduced art.
20th Century Fox standard and red
Absolute Entertainment
Activision
Apollo
CBS Games
Coleco
Epyx
Konami
M-Network
Mythicon
Parker Brothers
Spectravision

All labels have the text Reproduction Label on them and are machine cut so it peels off a sheet just like a retail sticker.

I've spend hundreds of hours and a ton of money reproducing these.

I also have the artwork for the complete Activision and Apollo boxes and am considering reproducing these as well.

• 2 weeks later...