IGNORED

7800 Cart issues

scotty

My 7800 works great. However.... When I play 2600 games, carts slide in and out like they should. 7800 games for some reason, the system does not want to let them go. I have like 8, and they all do the same thing. Strange, as I know they are the exact same size. I can put them in several 2600's and compatibles I have, and they come out no problem, but in the 7800, the system does not want to let go of them. I can easily pick up the system by the cartridge in the cartridge port, and have no worries of it dropping.

I would like to add my experience with this particular problem.

I own three Atari 7800's:

1. An Atari Inc. model with expansion port

2. An early Atari Corp model with expansion port

3. A late model Atari 7800 without expansion port

Here are my observations:

With the Atari Inc. made Atari 7800, all 7800 cartridges slide in and out effortlessly, and "lock-in" with the same feel of a 2600 console. Imagic and Activision games also insert perfectly too.

The Atari Corp 7800 with expansion port, requires some effort to insert 7800 cartridges, but not too bad. Now Imagic and Activision cartridges, are another story. They definitely give me some trouble - not terrible though. Sometimes I can get them to work, sometimes not.

Finally, with the Atari 7800, without expansion port....God help you! Better break out the rubber mallet in order to insert 7800 cartridges. Activision and Imagic cartridges - not happening!

I do not disagree with Al's expertise a bit, but I figure the 7800 was drastically cheapened over the years and this contributes to the problem.

I do not disagree with Al's expertise a bit, but I figure the 7800 was drastically cheapened over the years and this contributes to the problem.

This would not surprise me at all. I have never made a note of which 7800 consoles have been difficult to insert cartridges into, but with your post I may have to start doing so.

..Al

Is there a SIMPLE way to tell the difference between the 3 units without reading the tag on the bottom? For instance, can you look at a pic on eBay and tell what version it is?

No.

Again, from my experience, if you find a console with an expansion port, you should have better luck with cartridges fitting properly. The early consoles appear better built - they feel heavier and more solid.

Edited by AtariKid81