Hey all. How many people that play Intellivision games own an ECS (hardware or emulated)?

I have a game in the works (destination is a cartridge), and it would be cool to use the extra sound chip in the ECS, but I don't want to make something that will please like 6 people. 100 people, I could do....

post-31694-0-38949700-1469473339_thumb.png

(not actual size)

Thanks.

• Like 2

I suspect most of the people here already own the ECS. It is way cheaper than the Keyboard Component. ;-)

If you are only using the extra sound chip on the ECS, make it optional. If your game does not detect an ECS is attached, just drop the extra channels of sound and let the user hear reduced sound quality (user's choice). Some homebrews already do this so you would not be doing anything new there.

Regarding loading from tape - is it not possible to write a cassette loader that loads machine language and data from the cassette?

My understanding is no... unless you insert a cartridge that has code to load code from a cassette. However, at that point you might as well put to code in the cartridge itself and skip the cassette entirely.

Just do what makes the game's development process fun for you. If you want ECS sound, then add it in. Who cares if only you get to hear it ;).

I'll echo this.

Personally, my ECS stays on it's box most of the time, since it's such a pain to bring it out and hook it up whenever I casually feel like playing Intellivision. I also currently don't have the space to leave it out and hooked up all the time. I suspect it's the same with others.

However, if I ever have the ECS out, it'll be cool to get some enhancements for at least some games.

In the end, like GroovyBee said, who cares? Just do what you think will be cool and fun for you. :)

dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

I have an ECS.

Regarding loading from tape - is it not possible to write a cassette loader that loads machine language and data from the cassette?

The ECS only had 2k of 8bit ram. Even if you could expand this I think programs need at least 10bit ram for executable code.

The keyboard component had 16k of 10bit ram. It was designed to automatically load and run cp1610 programs from tape. At that time 16k cartridges would have been expensive but that changed quickly.

----------------------

Setup a poll to see about ECS ownership/usage. If you're not a collector I think there's little reason to have one. World Series Baseball is impressive but I dont know how many people like playing it (same goes for Super NFL Football). MindStrike looks interesting but Ive never played it. The ECS needs a killer app. Its not an issue for anyone using emulation.

Like mostly everyone else, my time is limited, so although it would be fun to add "ECS enhancement" to what I am working on, I don't want to sink unnecessary time into it if it won't be seen or appreciated by most ("guns or butter" problem). I do software stuff for a living, and although lots of things can be done, they should not necessarily all be done.

I was thinking that just having a bare ECS might be OK, without needing a keyboard.

The ECS does need a kind of "killer app". I played Mind Strike a lot in the 90's. I didn't play the ECS Baseball because full-boat the whole horizontal hardware contraption took over the entire entertainment center (ECS+Keyboard+Intellivoice+Intv) for something I didn't play that much.

EcsWithIntellivoice02.png

The ECS only had 2k of 8bit ram. Even if you could expand this I think programs need at least 10bit ram for executable code.

The keyboard component had 16k of 10bit ram. It was designed to automatically load and run cp1610 programs from tape. At that time 16k cartridges would have been expensive but that changed quickly.

----------------------
Setup a poll to see about ECS ownership/usage. If you're not a collector I think there's little reason to have one. World Series Baseball is impressive but I dont know how many people like playing it (same goes for Super NFL Football). MindStrike looks interesting but Ive never played it. The ECS needs a killer app. Its not an issue for anyone using emulation.

Thanks for the idea about the poll. I think I'll try that.