IGNORED

SpartaDOS X 4.48

drac030

I already know a pretty easy to use way to do this with MS Word 2010 (likely other versions too but I can't vouch).

That's the exact method I use (in Word 2016). Ensure heading levels are applied in the document, generate a TOC, then save as PDF, not forgetting to select "Create Bookmarks using Headings" in the file selector's "Options" dialog (which will prove the separate bookmark pane). That is literally all there is to it, although I'm not certain the SDX documentation is prepared with MS Word.

Edited by flashjazzcat

I'd forgotten about the link pane in stand-alone PDF readers, but nevertheless there's really no need for clickable links to be ugly. See Phaeron's Hardware Reference Manual, Ultimate 1MB Alt BIOS Manual, etc, for clickable TOC links which do not look like URLs. Thankfully the fact most browsers are now able to read PDFs removes the need to install bloatware such as Adobe Reader. icon_smile.gif

If you are able to use the functionality of your PDF reader, this is quite easy and looks like this, when the reader obeys the presettings of the PDF:

post-18804-0-49445700-1470344255_thumb.png

This is the start view and you can use the link pane and/or leaf through the PDF in book view.

The user guide is done with the tools stated at the beginning of the document.

If you are able to use the functionality of your PDF reader, this is quite easy and looks like this, when the reader obeys the presettings of the PDF:

Yes, I remember it well but I no longer install PDF readers since browsers handle them quite nicely. The bookmark pane is perfectly functional, but clickable TOC entries are more convenient still (especially on mobile devices). Just a suggestion, anyway.

That's the exact method I use (in Word 2016). Ensure heading levels are applied in the document, generate a TOC, then save as PDF, not forgetting to select "Create Bookmarks using Headings" in the file selector's "Options" dialog (which will prove the separate bookmark pane). That is literally all there is to it, although I'm not certain the SDX documentation is prepared with MS Word.

I figured that, as I've seen your work. I was offering to share my knowledge of it with Walter or anyone else who was interested. I quoted your message only because it laid out the end result of what can be done.

Yes, I remember it well but I no longer install PDF readers since browsers handle them quite nicely. The bookmark pane is perfectly functional, but clickable TOC entries are more convenient still (especially on mobile devices). Just a suggestion, anyway.

Ah, so here we go ... it's about using small screen viewing devices, I see. On a desktop monitor the bookmark pane is the best solution (imo) as it provides always a view on the structure of the document whereas from a link in the document's TOC only enables to jump into it and then ... where am I .. go back to the TOC, look up again ... jump ...

I should try seeing how it might be done in Libre Office too.

If you find an easy way this would be nice, as long as it works with Open Office.

Edited by GoodByteXL

LibreOffice Writer is what I use for my Hardware Manual and it's pretty similar to Word in that PDF bookmarks are created from the outline headings. You do have to plan your heading styles, particularly if you want a level cutoff where sub-headings no longer appear in the TOC.

There are a couple of annoyances. One is that Writer doesn't deal very well with appendices -- it takes some ingenuity (read: hacking) to get a separate Appendix numbering scheme to appear in the TOC and number properly. Another is that you cannot have text appear in a label entry in the TOC without it also appearing in your document. This was a problem in the register reference, where I needed to put both the address and symbolic name in the TOC entry but wanted it formatted differently in the actual page. The ugly workaround was to put the desired TOC entry in the document with the heading style, but in 1pt white text, and then use other styles for the actual visible text.

LibreOffice Writer is what I use for my Hardware Manual and it's pretty similar to Word in that PDF bookmarks are created from the outline headings. You do have to plan your heading styles, particularly if you want a level cutoff where sub-headings no longer appear in the TOC.

There are a couple of annoyances. One is that Writer doesn't deal very well with appendices -- it takes some ingenuity (read: hacking) to get a separate Appendix numbering scheme to appear in the TOC and number properly. Another is that you cannot have text appear in a label entry in the TOC without it also appearing in your document. This was a problem in the register reference, where I needed to put both the address and symbolic name in the TOC entry but wanted it formatted differently in the actual page. The ugly workaround was to put the desired TOC entry in the document with the heading style, but in 1pt white text, and then use other styles for the actual visible text.

I see, but at least you did a workaround for pdf viewers not following the original pdf standard. The presetting of the SDX User Guide is book style, open bookmark pane and in the pane just open up bookmark level one. The bookmarks do not carry a page number.

Everything being different from that is caused by the pdf viewer and not by the export from the OO writer application. Therefore it might be difficult to satisfy users having pdf viewers not following the pdf standard.

Ah, so here we go ... it's about using small screen viewing devices, I see. On a desktop monitor the bookmark pane is the best solution (imo) as it provides always a view on the structure of the document whereas from a link in the document's TOC only enables to jump into it and then ... where am I .. go back to the TOC, look up again ... jump ...

No, it's not about using small screen devices, since I don't have a PDF viewer on the desktop. Certainly the bookmark pane is a better navigation tool, but I figure if you can have two navigation methods for the price of one... why not? :)

Many thanks for everyone involved in the continuing evolution of SDX! Your efforts are both herculean and massively appreciated!!!

I also notice there is a new version of 'SDXImager' available and look forward to giving it a whirl. I do have two feature suggestions for a future edition. Firstly, would it be possible to allow in-place editing of the 'ALIASES.INI' and 'AUTOEXEC.BAT' files in the same way as 'CONFIG.SYS'? Also, perhaps more useful still would be the ability to export files from the SDX ROM to the user's hard-drive. That would really make the customization process a great deal more comfortable.

Edited by morelenmir

Indeed it is ... stay tuned ...

Guess it is done. Thanks to FJC pointing to the video, it helped to figure out was was done wrong by me. Sent the new version to Drac030 to have it checked.

@fujidude: do you feel the relief?

Remark: browser capable of displaying pdf without addons or external viewers will show the bookmark pane when activated.

Edited by GoodByteXL
  • Like 1

Guess it is done. Thanks to FJC pointing to the video, it helped to figure out was was done wrong by me. Sent the new version to Drac030 to have it checked.

@fujidude: do you feel the relief?

Remark: browser capable of displaying pdf without addons or external viewers will show the bookmark pane when activated.

Good to hear. Yeah I'm relieved because I hadn't even dug into it yet. I've been shopping for parts to make my "upgraded" battery for my UPS. The DC side of my UPS runs on 24V, so I bought 2 12V, group 24, deep cycle batteries, 4 gauge high strand count flexible wire, ring terminal ends, and blah blah blah. I've got to start soldering and putting it together now. Also been moving earth in my backyard with a shovel and wheel barrow. Boy that's been just fantastic fun... not!

• 3 weeks later...

Would it be possible at some point - perhaps in a future small update just for the toolkit - for the VBXE driver to be made in to an *.OVL version which would fit on to the user-space of the Ultimate1MB flash SDX slot? As it stands I cannot boot the U1MB without the SIDE2 in place and have 80-column display and the other advantages of the VBXE as its driver has to reside somewhere on an APT partition on the SIDE2 CF card and be pointed at by config.sys.

Suddenly on typing my question here I wonder if this has been discussed before? I cannot properly remember, but Is it perhaps not possible to use 8k *.OVL files for drivers due to the way in which they are loaded? If so then my apologies for a stupid question.

I cannot properly remember, but Is it perhaps not possible to use 8k *.OVL files for drivers due to the way in which they are loaded?

It is not possible to store files longer than( slightly less than) 8k on CAR: due to its limitations. There are (conceptual) works in progress to overcome this limitation.

Or would it be crazy to request rewriting the CAR: handling code to have it behave like a disk?

Could you be more precise, what do you mean by "behave like a disk"? :)

• Like 1