IGNORED

SpartaDOS X 4.48

drac030

Many thanks.

* FDISK now placed by default in the SIDE, SIDE2, MyIDE-2-ROM builds.

This is most welcome, and it appears I updated the current build archive just in time. :) Since U1MB's SDX is the presiding DOS when the U1MB PBI/SIDE combo is in use, if FDISK finds its way into the default U1MB (and perhaps IDE Plus 2.0) ROMs as well, it might completely relieve me of the need to maintain and host custom SDX ROMs at atari8.co.uk at all (although U1MB now supports 192, 256, and 320KB SDX ROMs).

• Like 1

Yeah: I understand that in the 192K and 256K builds, the presence of FDISK means evicting some MAN files, etc. Personally I wasn't bothered about having the partition editor on CAR: in the first place, but I was urged to create something which could be placed there (since it appears many users expect to find the partition editor built-in and are disappointed/confused if it's not there), and I must admit it's rather convenient.

In any case: whatever is most agreeable. I don't mind continuing to host customised U1MB/Incognito builds if necessary (indeed the Incognito build is a necessity, since there is otherwise no unique version, and COLLEEN.SYS is required for 800 mode).

Edited by flashjazzcat

I am just wondering why the newest beta version of the IDE+20 does not have the newest Z.SYS driver on CAR:. Could it be an oversight or not needed for this rom because of the Z: CIO driver: in the Bios15.rom.

I just have downloaded the ROM image and it does:

post-6049-0-81187000-1476606174_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having trouble with 4.48 on SIDE2 (with Ult1MB SDX disabled).

I can't type double characters.

For example best I can get is:

BASIC OF

If I type a different character, then backspace, then F, I can finish the command.

(Also happens in Altirra similarly configured.)

Also BASIC OFF gives 170 file not found. How do I turn off basic? Is it possible to turn off basic in Ultimate1MB as well, or am I stuck with the options given?

Thanks! :)

Edited by AbeOwitz

• 3 weeks later...

I have already added the U1MB 192k and 320k builds to the CVS, so these should appear with a next beta. As about adding FDISK to them, I wonder if there are no objections from e.g. people who use the U1MB but not an APT compatible storage.

Just a quick question drac030 do these and the U1mb have the toolkit commands built into the builds as well? Just wondering as thats how Flash was building them.. not asking you to do it.. just wondered if you did. I really need to learn how to do this stuff myself :)

Also sorry if this is a stupid question, but im not finding a repository anywhere just the sdx page where I pick a specific ZIPed version to download. How do I pick either the 192K or 320K build?

James

Edited by Bikerbob

Since you can use UFLASH to modify that space, you can do this task all from within the Atari. The TK disk is published as an .ATR which contains several subdirectories and .ARC files buried within. I wrote a batch script which can unpack all of that automatically. See this posting for details. Since you are dealing with U1MB and or SIDE, I will assume you have plenty of space to unpack everything to, be it RAM disk, a compact flash card, or what have you. Once you get the batch script in your Atari and in a folder that's in your path you would do this:

• Make your current working drive and directory where you wish the root of where everything unpacks to.
  • Enter this command: -RUNPACK A: (this assumes A is where the TK disk is)
  • Go grab some coffee, come back, and enjoy relaxing while your Atari takes care of the tedium for you.

Hey Fuji man, should this work to a PCL drive? I want to unpack the toolbox to a pc disk.. so I can use SDXimager to add the files I want to the rom.

I have run your bat. to a atari drive and I got a drive nak partway through .. but the pcl - I can put up a screen shoot, but it bows out pretty quick.. I only get through a handful of directories before it drops.

I am using RespeQT and the toolkit mounted there.. then either to a PCL directory.. or to my xf551 DSDD -- both did not finish.

James

edit - ok re-read see I need to copy the toolkit image to something larger FIRST? to extract it? so to copy everything.. all files in directories, am I using copy or is there a way to copy tree? or am I using the /r switch on copy?

Edited by Bikerbob

@bikerbob

• A PCL device should work as well as any other "disk" destination with an appropriate amount of storage.
  • Any device NAKing is an issue outside of the batch I would think.
  • There is no need to copy the TK to something larger 1st. The batch itself copies all the TK files to the CWD, processes (expands) them, and then deletes the .ARC files (if expansion was successful) after itself. It does not touch the original source of the TK. What you end up with is the original source where it was to start with, and a fully unpacked version in the CWD. For this reason, where you unpack to needs to have enough free space (at least temporarily) to contain both the packed and unpacked TK.

Have you configured your SDX to utilize ENV.SYS ? You need the expanded environment space available to RUNPACK.BAT, as it uses recursion which can get a bit hungry.

Also, you are in fact using SDX 4.48 (or later) right? If I remember right, in earlier versions of SDX you could not have PCL: be a CWD.

Edited by fujidude

After using PCL myself, I got some funkiness too, though not any NAKs. I've always expanded to "hard drive" or huge ramdisk, and done so without incident. Whatever the issue is, it's likely to do with the DOS, DOS driver(s), or the various DOS utilities invoked by my script. Also I should point out that I use Altirra, not real hardware. Can you try expanding to a ""hard disk" and see how that goes for you?

I will upload a screen shot tonight.. Still did not work. All it did was copy all the directories over from the first level then got an error 138 all entries are full or something.. and dropped out again.

I created a new HD partition on APE and tried to expand it all there.. But so far I have not had the luck you have with your script.

James

@bikerbob

Have you configured your SDX to utilize ENV.SYS ? You need the expanded environment space available to RUNPACK.BAT, as it uses recursion which can get a bit hungry.

Also, you are in fact using SDX 4.48 (or later) right? If I remember right, in earlier versions of SDX you could not have PCL: be a CWD.

I am using 4.48 but I was not aware of the env.sys - do I just run it from a command prompt? or is that one of the items I need to get out of the toolkit?

James

Hey Fujiman, I have a question.. if the env.sys is required.. is it not possible to put that at the front of the .bat file? or check for it? I am no expert with SDX yet, but I was not aware that env.sys was needed to run your script. I guess I could re-read back to page 4 and see if you mentioned that it was needed.. I love the a8 and the people here on Atariage, sometimes though people assume you know about things when you dont. :)

James

Hey Fujiman, I have a question.. if the env.sys is required.. is it not possible to put that at the front of the .bat file? or check for it? I am no expert with SDX yet, but I was not aware that env.sys was needed to run your script. I guess I could re-read back to page 4 and see if you mentioned that it was needed.. I love the a8 and the people here on Atariage, sometimes though people assume you know about things when you dont. :)

James

I had just posed the same question to myself after reading the previous posts. ;) There is a note (in the form of comments) in the script itself which specifies the requirement. But I agree, it would be far better to check for it programmatically and proceed or communicate accordingly. I'll look into it.

I remember a couple of pages back people were talkng about bookmarks etc in the manual/guide. I am not sure who set the PDF up.. but can it be taken to a printer and easily be sent out to print in book form? I notice the pages are setup in spreads at the moment, but they can be re-organized for printing in book form I assume?

Thanks

James

• Like 1

I remember a couple of pages back people were talkng about bookmarks etc in the manual/guide. I am not sure who set the PDF up.. but can it be taken to a printer and easily be sent out to print in book form? I notice the pages are setup in spreads at the moment, but they can be re-organized for printing in book form I assume?

Thanks

James

As someone who recently printed out the manual and put it into a 3-ring binder, I have definitely been wishing that it was both half the current size AND in some book form for practical reasons.

Too, it would be great to have not just bookmarks, but cross-references (hyperlinks, as well) to commands mentioned during the course of the manual.

While there is a remarkable amount of information in the document, the Index is one of its weakest components, forcing me to flip through pages in the hopes of stumbling across certain references I go looking for.

If I had a choice, I could probably live with the weak Index and lack of cross-references if I could have the manual in around the same size as any Compute! book for the Atari— without having to go to microscopic text through forced resizing of the PDF to print down to that size of a page. O.o

--Tim

Just a quick question drac030 do these and the U1mb have the toolkit commands built into the builds as well?

No, the toolkit commands are not supposed to be built into the cartridge, of course you can add as many of them as you want/can, but the toolkit stuff is/was in fact intended to be kept on a HDD.

Also sorry if this is a stupid question, but im not finding a repository anywhere just the sdx page where I pick a specific ZIPed version to download. How do I pick either the 192K or 320K build?

192k and 320k builds for Ultimate are waiting to be released with a next SDX beta version.

Edited by drac030
  • Like 3

Hey Fujiman, I have a question.. if the env.sys is required.. is it not possible to put that at the front of the .bat file? or check for it?

It is best practice to invoke ENV.SYS from withing the CONFIG.SYS file, via a DEVICE directive.

From the SpartaDOS X 4.48 User's Guide:

8.6.6.2 ENV.SYS - environment extension

Purpose

Environment extension

Syntax

DEVICE ENV

Type

External - on CAR: device.

Availability

As of SDX 4.42.

Remarks

Normally the area where the environment variables are kept is only 256 bytes in size.

This can turn out to be too small for some applications. The ENV.SYS driver allocates

one entire bank of the extended memory (16 KiB) for the environment. Thanks to that

up to 128 variables, 128 characters each can be defined. We strongly recommend

installing the ENV.SYS, if you plan to use pipes and batch files intensively.

Notes: For best results load ENV.SYS before SPARTA.SYS, when the DOS is configured

to USE BANKED, or after SPARTA.SYS otherwise. If used, ENV.SYS and SPARTA.SYS

require one bank each. Therefore reserve 2 banks of extended memory in your memory

configuration for them.

PS: I haven't found a way to check (from a batch file) if ENV.SYS is loaded. I still have a little more looking to do, but I have a feeling there may not be a way without creating a software application to do so.

UPDATE: I cannot find a way for a batch program to determine if ENV.SYS (or any other one is loaded).

Edited by fujidude