IGNORED

How easy is it to recap a Vectrex?

Tickled_Pink

As some might know, my Vectrex died on me about 3-4 years ago. It just suddenly stopped working. I get nothing except crackling in the neck bulb of the CRT.

I suspect it's a power board issue but have no idea if the CRT is working. So my plan is to take out the boards and do a rebuild, starting with a recap. I'll work on the logic board first. If I can get that working and producing something, such as sound, then I know I have a fair chance of getting some of the other stuff working. Whether or not I'll ever get the rest of it working is another thing but it'll at least give me the option of selling the boards as refurbs or keeping them as spares for when I get another machine.

I've never recapped anything before, though, so how hard/easy is it on the Veccy? My worry is trying to do the power board because of the voltages involved. Are there cap kits available in the UK?

I've recapped Power boards before. The biggest thing with these tubes is discharging them. I would say once that is done, you can pull the boards out and order the needed caps if you don't find a kit specific to that monitor.

I've read before, people clamp a heavy wire on a screwdriver and the other end to a chassis/ground. Slide the screwdriver tip under where the large wire goes into the back of the tube. Big pop/crackling as 30-40,000 volts jumps out.

I'd get some good insulated gloves myself.

After that you can check the Caps on the power board for a charge/discharge them.

I'd say if the caps are shot you probably won't have to worry about those holding a charge as much as that tube.

• 7 years later...

I'm also about to do a recap, however, I'm quite nervous about it. According to one repair manual I've read:

Following a capacitor replacement: vector undulation, buzzing louder than normal, main heatsink on the power supply board hotter than normal. This problem can occur due to the lack of a metallized hole on the C404 and C411 capacitors. Ensure that you have applied tin on both sides of the PCB for these capacitors. Check the continuity between the Vectrex ground and the corresponding pin of the capacitors.

Of course, I'm also concerned about getting lit up by 6,000 volts, however, my machine hasn't been powered on for 3-4 months, so the CRT should've discharged by now.

Wish me luck - one day, I'll have the gumption to do it!

Repair manual Vectrex 20230327.pdf

Edited by Retro Jack

On 8/6/2023 at 10:05 PM, Retro Jack said:

I'm also about to do a recap, however, I'm quite nervous about it. According to one repair manual I've read:

Of course, I'm also concerned about getting lit up by 6,000 volts, however, my machine hasn't been powered on for 3-4 months, so the CRT should've discharged by now.

Wish me luck - one day, I'll have the gumption to do it!

Repair manual Vectrex 20230327.pdf 3.74 MB · 1 download

Yes, many of the vias on the Vectrex aren't really true vias and so the Vectrex is one of the systems where I purposely high water install the caps so I can apply solder to both sides of the PCB for each lead to make sure everything is making proper contact. There are also two caps under the large heatsink on the power board that you need to get replaced. So once you remove that heatsink and get them out, I highly suggest installing them on the back side of the PCB so that they can be gotten to much easier in the future, and also be separated more from the heat in that area.