IGNORED

Jumpman level design contest

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Any news on that? As a big Jumpman fan I hope there will be a all-new-levels Jumpman game soon! :)

I have several unreleased Jumpman Under Construction Games. Especially the game Collection Of Torture is insanely good! :) Maybe something could be used for the new Atari Jumpman?

https://mega.nz/#!T1Y0GLhD!baR_ZQ3KB1-KS1G15VelofpFrB91HeLMCQ9ZdQTyc-c

Edited by cwscws
  • Like 1

The project has been on my back burner but is not forgotten. I hope to get back to it soon. I think Rob is similarly busy with other things — like enhancing Omnivore, the tool we use to create the Jumpman levels.

Any news on that? As a big Jumpman fan I hope there will be a all-new-levels Jumpman game soon! :)

I have several unreleased Jumpman Under Construction Games. Especially the game Collection Of Torture is insanely good! :) Maybe something could be used for the new Atari Jumpman?

https://mega.nz/#!T1Y0GLhD!baR_ZQ3KB1-KS1G15VelofpFrB91HeLMCQ9ZdQTyc-c

• Like 1

Great news! :)

I was always a fan of the Windows remake Jumpman Under Construction as this is so extremely close to the original game WITH a level editor (every level can have an individual script, too!) that this game was a dream come true! Unfortunately the programmer abandoned the project for unknown reasons. But version 0.3 is fully useable.

If the same goal could be reached with Omnivore this would also be a dream come true! :)

I do not know how to install a Mac version of Omnivore but as far as I can see on the screenshots there is no possibility to combine single levels to a complete game? Or is this possible? Can level dependent scripts be added?

If the same goal could be reached with Omnivore this would also be a dream come true! :)

I do not know how to install a Mac version of Omnivore but as far as I can see on the screenshots there is no possibility to combine single levels to a complete game? Or is this possible? Can level dependent scripts be added?

I haven't figured out how to make a DMG, so I distribute a Mac app inside an archive file. To install it, get the .tbz image from https://github.com/robmcmullen/omnivore/releases/tag/1.0rc4and run tar xvf Omnivore-1.0rc5-darwin.tbz which will extract it into an Omnivore.app directory, which can then be run like a normal Mac app: open Omnivore.app

Level scripts are supported in Omnivore; there's even a built-in Mac/65-compatible assembler so you don't have to leave Omnivore to test it.

But you're right, there's currently no way to create a complete game using Omnivore. Omnivore only builds an xex where you can test the level that you're editing. At the moment, Kevin and I were just planning on gathering up levels by hand, but when we get closer to actually having enough levels to make Jumpman 2 it might make sense to automate it. We're just not far enough along yet.

As Kevin mentioned, I'm knee-deep in a big enhancement of Omnivore that will include some tools to seriously improve the ability to create and debug custom code for levels. It's still months away, I think, but it's going to be worth it. :grin:

(Edited to clarify about bundling levels into a complete game)

• Like 2

Omnivore is available for Windows, Linux, and MacOS. Yes, it's totally possible to combine single levels into a compete 32-level game.

Level-dependant scripts: sure. We've created several levels that include machine language code for controlling bad guys, special features, etc. I've published commented code to several of the original levels, and several of my own, so that other people can learn how to do it. See http://atariage.com/forums/topic/259304-jumpman-levels-with-custom-code/and http://atariage.com/forums/topic/252267-jumpman-hacking/ for more on that.

-Kevin

• Like 1

Yes, it's totally possible to combine single levels into a compete 32-level game.

So I said it is possible, Rob says it isn't. :) It is possible, but it's a manual process with a lot of copy-pasting. We haven't done it because we're waiting until we have a whole passel of new levels, then we can decide what order they should go in for the new version of Jumpman.

So I said it is possible, Rob says it isn't. :) It is possible, but it's a manual process with a lot of copy-pasting. We haven't done it because we're waiting until we have a whole passel of new levels, then we can decide what order they should go in for the new version of Jumpman.

Sorry for the ambiguity; I edited it after I saw your post, Kevin. :) I meant to convey that it wasn't possible in some automated fashion using Omnivore, not that it wasn't possible at all.

See my post #109 above

Ah, sorry, didn't notice that.

Just tried it - works! :)

Just a question: the objects like bats or ufos and so on are not shown in the level editor? Would be easier if they were visible...

Edited by cwscws

Just wondering how you can do that ? I got a couple of levels and would be great to run to play them in sequence.

Love the editor BTW.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/276317-hsc-season-15-round-4-jumpman-jr/

• Like 1

I would love to know how multi levels could be included in one XEX or ATR. There is talk of Cut & Pasting but into what ?

Glad to hear that you have multiple levels and that you are enjoying the editor! At the moment, the level tester is a single level only. You can make a multi-level version by hand, though. You can simply replace levels in our canonical Jumpman image Jumpman-2016-v1_0.atr available here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/252645-jumpman-practice-any-level/?p=3511124

Each level is 2048 bytes (16 sectors) on the disk, and each is totally independent of any other. So you can just drop your level over any level in the ATR image and then boot that disk image normally. Your level will appear in place of whichever one you replaced.

The easiest way to do this would be to use Omnivore. Open up your level and then use Window -> New View... -> In Hex Editor Tab to get a raw data view, do a Edit -> Select All, then copy all 2048 bytes. Then use File -> Open to open the Jumpman-2016-v1_0.atr. It will open in level edit mode, so you'll have to do the open in Hex Editor Tab like above. Choose the level to replace by selecting it in the Segments list, and then paste the hex data from your level over top of this data. Do that for all your levels, and save it (into a new file!) and you should be able to test.

• Like 2

Glad to hear that you have multiple levels and that you are enjoying the editor! At the moment, the level tester is a single level only. You can make a multi-level version by hand, though. You can simply replace levels in our canonical Jumpman image Jumpman-2016-v1_0.atr available here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/252645-jumpman-practice-any-level/?p=3511124

Each level is 2048 bytes (16 sectors) on the disk, and each is totally independent of any other. So you can just drop your level over any level in the ATR image and then boot that disk image normally. Your level will appear in place of whichever one you replaced.

The easiest way to do this would be to use Omnivore. Open up your level and then use Window -> New View... -> In Hex Editor Tab to get a raw data view, do a Edit -> Select All, then copy all 2048 bytes. Then use File -> Open to open the Jumpman-2016-v1_0.atr. It will open in level edit mode, so you'll have to do the open in Hex Editor Tab like above. Choose the level to replace by selecting it in the Segments list, and then paste the hex data from your level over top of this data. Do that for all your levels, and save it (into a new file!) and you should be able to test.

Looking good. Thanks for the Info :-)

I think the others are all ATRs, they work fine + thanks!

I was trying to debug this problem and finally realized that the XEX files are only named XEX, they are actually ATR images! They are short ATRs in KBoot format:

$ atrcopy redthunder1.xex
redthunder1.xex: ATR Disk Image (size=23808 (186x128B), crc=0 flags=0 unused=0) KBoot Format: 23324 byte executable File #0 (...u. ) 004 KBOOT XEX 183

If you just rename them to e.g. redthunder1.atr, does it boot on real hardware? If not, I'll have to create full-size ATR images when I write them out.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I would like to release a Jumpman 2 this year. I have given myself a deadline of this year's Kansasfest in July to finish Omnivore 2, at which point Kevin and I will start producing levels and will put out the call for submissions.

Along with the graphical level editor, Omnivore 2 will include a built-in emulator and debugging tools. I'm trying to make it as easy as possible to design levels with custom code, because this aspect is what sets Jumpman apart -- each level can have unique features while maintaining the feel of Jumpman.

post-39022-0-71521000-1556988787.gif

• Like 7