IGNORED

Centipede Trakball in the AA Shop

Andromeda Stardust

Can you have 2 trackballs for 2 player games? Because what made thr 7800 version great was two players simultaneous option.

I can not spend another 100 for a rare trackball from usa for one game so I guess it does not matter to me but to some it might be possible.

Is there a diy for making a trackball that would work?

Can you have 2 trackballs for 2 player games? Because what made thr 7800 version great was two players simultaneous option.

I can not spend another 100 for a rare trackball from usa for one game so I guess it does not matter to me but to some it might be possible.

Is there a diy for making a trackball that would work?

I dunno honestly I don't think a lot of players own two trackballs but good idea. Two player simultaneous with a joystick and a trackball might cause handicap. According the the page, 2-player mode is alternating in this game.

BTW, I had a lot of fun playing the 2600 conversions on my Harmony cart. My CX-80 operates as a CX-22 so I'm gooood... 8)

Did Albert just silently release this in the AA store? I just found this lying around in the AA Shop and bought one:

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1067

7800_CentipedeTrakball_Cart_description.

:lust:

It was a discussion on the Eeevil Facebook that prompted this being added to the store. Just FYI ...

No, it's been there for at least 6 months.

I added it a few days ago. :)

..Al

If this had been added six months ago, I would have bought it then! Too bad the H2 isn't ready yet. I got a CX-80 trackball (works same as CX-22) a while back to play the new 2600 TB hacks people are making, and the Millipede hack was crazy addictive. I even modded my CX-80 with a 2.25" 8-ball I ordered from PoolDawg as a drop in replacement for the old worn one... ;-)

Well...now I finally have to get a trak ball.

"Centipede Trak-Ball will also work with many CX-80 Trak-Ball controllers as many of them operate internally as a CX-22."

Any way to tell which ones? Like, by serial number or something? Because the CX-80 is pure sex compared to the CX-22, and I'd much rather have an 80.

• Like 1

Well...now I finally have to get a trak ball.

"Centipede Trak-Ball will also work with many CX-80 Trak-Ball controllers as many of them operate internally as a CX-22."

Any way to tell which ones? Like, by serial number or something? Because the CX-80 is pure sex compared to the CX-22, and I'd much rather have an 80.

Yes CX-80 is the bees knees. My understanding is that the vast majority of CX-80s were manufactured to work as CX-22s.

The few that operate with true "gray code" were overstock that were factory modified and repackaged to be compatible with ST Mouse. Those would have taken the gray signal directly from the encoder chip and applied them to the joystick outputs.

Either way there is no way of knowing the operation without testing it in a game. The case with CX-22s is even worse, because the first runs produced have no native TB output at all, the TB/JS switch being totally absent.

CX-80s tend to be a bit expensive but you can get lucky with a cheap offer on eBay sometimes. I think I paid $30 for mine. It was covered with brown film, likely from a smoker's home. Took me a while to clean it with TP and alcohol, but operation was super smooth and nice once I got it cleaned inside and out. The CX-80s have "gold dot" contacts underneath the buttons, not the horrid dome switches like the CX-22 has.

I'm trying to recall what NTSC Centipede does on a PAL 7800. I don't think it's that bad actually.

If someone with access to both PAL and NTSC 7800s wants to buy one and give their feedback, feel free to share their findings. But I would not recommend anybody in PAL land be the guinea pig unless they have access to play on an NTSC system. Maybe someone can run the ROM in Prosystem emulator under PAL mode and give feeback...

Sexy...

attachicon.gif7800 CX80.JPG

Even Sexier...

attachicon.gifProsystem JS.JPG

Love that joystick!

I consider it right-handed, but perhaps that's just me...(I know we're all ambidextrous at this point any way...). I'm actually having Edladdin build me a Coleco model with the stick in the middle and two buttons on either side so I can use it either way...

• Like 1

Love that joystick!

I consider it right-handed, but perhaps that's just me...(I know we're all ambidextrous at this point any way...). I'm actually having Edladdin build me a Coleco model with the stick in the middle and two buttons on either side so I can use it either way...

The joystick was first mentioned in this thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/231679-7800-arcade-joystick-sale/?hl=%207800%20%20prosystem%20%20joystick

...and I ordered it from UberArcade's website: http://classicjoysticks.com/

• Like 2

The joystick was first mentioned in this thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/231679-7800-arcade-joystick-sale/?hl=%207800%20%20prosystem%20%20joystick

...and I ordered it from UberArcade's website: http://classicjoysticks.com/

I built my own but not everyone is that crafty. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

What other 2600 trackball hacks are out there? I might need to pick one up when I get a Harmony cart.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/243453-atari-2600-trak-ball-games/

= = = = = = = =

Really there are three TB standards: CX-22, ST, and Amiga. IMO "CX-80" mode is a misnomer and published hacks should drop this vernacular. CX-80 is either CX-22 or ST. There is no way to tell without opening it up or testing it in software.

CX-22 (joystick only, CX-22)

Wico Trackball (joystick only)

CX-80 (CX-22, ST)

ST Mouse (ST)

Amiga Mouse (Amiga)

First run CX-22 have no JS/TB switch and cannot be used in native TB mode. If you get a CX-22, make sure it has a mode switch. Ask seller if it has the switch before buying! Wicos and switchless CX-22s require internal modification to use in native trackball mode.

Most CX-80 behave the same as CX-22. A few were factory modded to be compatible with Atari ST. CX-80 are also nicer build quality than CX-22. ST mode trackballs also have double the spatial resolution of CX-22 mode trackballs due to the encoding algorithm.

Mice suck. Not arcade friendly. Fortunately most of the 2600 TB hacks have versions available for all three modes. Test the ROMs on a Harmony to make sure they work with your trackball before purchasing a cart!

• Like 3