IGNORED

Open Source Atari XE case (130XE/800XE style)

Matej

OSXEC project:

Here will be place/blog for my infos about my own 3D printed case project for Atari 800XE/130XE and even it will works with 65XE too - with extra eci hole.

Now my question is: What extra ports do you want to have there??? I plan to have +2x cich for audio, 1x audio switch hole what else (VBXE users???, extra OS switch hole???, sd card port for internal SDdrive???)?

Also I will try to do more space in joystick ports area so you will be able to use standard cannon 9" connectors...

There will be possibility to print them in any color and even transparent with glowing UV effect.

But I will be able to print max 4x per week...

After I will make final version of my 3D printed design I will do crowdfunding for real plastic molding (indiegogo)...

As Atari cases design rights are fully owned by Atari company I will be strongly inspired by their design but it will be not exact 1:1 copy.

So It will be my very own design - own style of air holes for example.

I will release my design as opensource on my homepage as I will use opensource tools (CAD etc).

So you will be able print cases by yourself (or in 3d printing service near your home).

Who is interesting in to have new XE case (it is not pre-order but market research)? (similar project as C64 cases)

BTW who owns big CNC here and is from EU (for mold forms prototypes)...???

• Like 6

I'd be cool to be able to put the MIST inside ;), like these guys did:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/a1200housing/new-amiga-1200-cases-made-from-new-molds/description

(i'd like to see the total cost of keyboard + case, but it's really tempting, doesn't matter what the price will be ;)).

3D printed both top and bottom cirrca 60Euro - 100Euro with no keyboard its depends of type and quality of fillament...

Molded can be cheaper... But only in bigger series plus mold form is very very very high priced.

Curious, are you aiming for a whole new design or basically imitating the current XE design? Any concept sketches?

It will be my original design (as I do not own any rights or patents). But I will need respect PCB and keyboard and all ports. So measurements

will be almost same. And yes it will NOT looks like ZX Spectrum or C64 :D. I will post my sketches and renderings soon...

Planned improvements:

- 2x stereocinch hole (stereo audio out)

- 1x stereojack hole (earphones)

- 2x switch hole (stereo, rom)

- sd card hole (SDrive / SIO2SD)

- 2x extra LED hole (stereo signal, fdd/hdd reading)

Possible include:

- ??? HDMI? or VGA? connector hole (VBXE) -> which one?

- ??? 2x USB connector hole (for future)

- ??? Ethernet RJ-45 hole (LAN)

- ??? SIO D-SUB15 hole (SIO alternative)

Edited by Matej

count me in for one please

what colours will these come in? just Atari Grey?

or any colour? what about transparent?

I am using only "Made in EU" fillaments of highest quality.

Colors:

PAGE 1

http://fillamentum.com/collections/pla-extrafill

PAGE 2

http://fillamentum.com/collections/pla-extrafill?page=2

Crystal Clear TRANSPARENT colors:

http://fillamentum.com/collections/pla-crystal-clear-filament

UV Resistant (color will stays "forever" same):

http://fillamentum.com/collections/asa-filament

??? Wooden !!! (but first I need to learn how to print them correctly!!!):

http://fillamentum.com/collections/timberfill

And TOP and BOTTOM case can be in DIFFERENT COLORS (TWO COLOR CASE)!

Edited by Matej

Sounds groovy!

Though I think if someone were to take a new case to the next level using injection molds, and probably have all of our mouths watering in the process, a 1450XLD case would be an absolute freakshow! Pi, miST or ITX inserts for the upper drive areas would be incredibly cool, too. A lot of room and general aesthetic appeal with a 1450XLD case. The next issue would then be settling on a keyboard. One can dream right? :)

• Like 2

To get a project like this realistically stick to one case design at the start, I think an xe style would be brillant - look to the recent Amiga 1200 for ideas on what else to incorporate but I think support for mounting a mist or a raspberry pi would go a long way to increase support.

Support popular 3rd party add ons, but focus on getting the design and building the first few done, that can help fund further development. As its opensource look maybe setup a project donatation page as well?

To add to all this maybe someone can start condidering a new 8-bit motherboard - along the lines of the AMiga and C64 reloaded boards?

Barnie

I always liked the look of the Mega ST cases. I wouldn't bother trying to put a keyboard in the new case, make a pizza box case and let users bring whatever keyboard they want.

Plus, a Mega ST style case would allow for more room for any mods.

Plus, a Mega ST style case would allow for more room for any mods.

Practicality means that decisions have to be made on what compatibilty is required:

1. What Motherboards can be used?

2. If the Motherboard used is from a system that has all all in one design what do you do with the keyboard? Complexities can be introduced because a keyboard interface may be required

I think a poll may be a good idea to at least get some idea of what would be the most popular idea for a case.

Barnie

Matej interesting ideas :) And a different take on what I have in mind ;)

I started an alternative enclosure project of my own a short while back based on an XEGS motherboard, only mine is going in an entirely different direction. I wanted something a bit more industrial with no internal keyboard. Similar to the concept people have been using where they take a PC tower to house their A8 and all of it's upgrades. But my enclosure will be completely custom. So here's what I have in mind...

There is an on-line service for creating custom machined aluminum panels and enclosures called Front panel Express.

Fgpizkg.png

They provide this free software that will run on Windows, Mac's, or a Linux box, which allows you to create whatever your mind can dream up (within the confines of what they can machine). It works a lot like ExpressPCB where you use their free tools to design a PCB, and then simply click to order it.

Anyway if you look at the picture of the enclosure above and my simulated panels below, you'll start to see where I'm going with this.

Front Panel

uB5s01F.png

Rear Panel

g7WhSde.png

Yep now you see why I am designing the TK-II-STEREO board :grin:

It won't be cheap, probably costing $200 for just the enclosure alone, but it will be rather unique and have a certain coolness factor. I'll be starting a separate topic on this when manufacturing has begun.

- Michael

• Like 5

That case needs an s-video out. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope not required for my use. I'll always be using the HDMI output since all my TV's are modern and do not have S-Video inputs anyway (besides the HDMI up-converter is fed by Bryan's UAV using up it's S-Video output). Of course if this were being built for someone else they might have a differing opinion on this. And of course they would want a PBI, a cartridge port, and a built-in this, and a built in that, ect., ect.... good thing I'm not planning on selling these ;).

So here are the specs.

• Motherboard: XEGS
  • Internal Hard Drive: SIDE2
  • External Hard Drive: SIO2PC-USB
  • Extended RAM, multiple OS & Language/Game Slots, built-in SDX, R-Time 8: U1MB
  • Video: HDMI Up-Conversion & Standard Composite via UAV
  • Audio: Dual Pokey Stereo via TK-II-STEREO board
  • Stereo/Mono Switching: U-Switch like control via TK-II-STEREO board
  • Keyboard: Stock XEGS connection and dual PS/2 via TK-II-STEREO board
  • Parallel Port: Dual Joystick Ports

Future plans might be to put in 65816 so CPU will be socketed.

I think this makes for a pretty good and compact package. And since virtually everything I need can be gotten as either an ATR or XEX via the internal or external Hard Drives, I won't miss the cartridge port.

Although this is being designed for my own use, I will as usual upload all the design files so that someone else can either duplicate my work or add their own customization's to it.

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 2

So getting back to the original topic... a 3D printed case.

Has this technology improved to the point where it approaches injection molded quality? Because what I remember seeing looked a bit crude, with a strange surface finish where you could still see the layers that were deposited to make up the piece. Also curious as to the cost to have an entire case printed by a typical outside 3D printing service.

- Michael

Nope not required for my use. I'll always be using the HDMI output since all my TV's are modern and do not have S-Video inputs anyway (besides the HDMI up-converter is fed by Bryan's UAV using up it's S-Video output). Of course if this were being built for someone else they might have a differing opinion on this. And of course they would want a PBI, a cartridge port, and a built-in this, and a built in that, ect., ect.... good thing I'm not planning on selling these ;).

So here are the specs.

• Motherboard: XEGS
  • Internal Hard Drive: SIDE2
  • External Hard Drive: SIO2PC-USB
  • Extended RAM, multiple OS & Language/Game Slots, built-in SDX, R-Time 8: U1MB
  • Video: HDMI Up-Conversion & Standard Composite via UAV
  • Audio: Dual Pokey Stereo via TK-II-STEREO board
  • Stereo/Mono Switching: U-Switch like control via TK-II-STEREO board
  • Keyboard: Stock XEGS connection and dual PS/2 via TK-II-STEREO board
  • Parallel Port: Dual Joystick Ports

Future plans might be to put in 65816 so CPU will be socketed.

I think this makes for a pretty good and compact package. And since virtually everything I need can be gotten as either an ATR or XEX via the internal or external Hard Drives, I won't miss the cartridge port.

Although this is being designed for my own use, I will as usual upload all the design files so that someone else can either duplicate my work or add their own customization's to it.

- Michael

That's an excellent specification would make a good list of features for an Atari 8-bit "reloaded" Motherboard that had all the new features on board.

3D printers aren't as good as mass produced cases, but that neeeds investment. It's fasinating reading the latest A1200 update regarding case production.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/a1200housing/new-amiga-1200-cases-made-from-new-molds/posts/1648875

Barnie

• Like 1

Quite some time ago I did get as far as prototype stage with my "Reality Station" concept, lots of time, effort and money. I've got to the point where I want to revisit the whole "home computer" concept and that includes where retro computing overlaps with computers such as the raspberry pi. I think its essential that these ideas are at least partly owned by the community.

Some background:

https://twitter.com/bgiltrap/status/557712612633624576

https://twitter.com/bgiltrap/status/312717783232290816

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/346-this-is-reality-control/

Hopefully I've learnt from my mistakes!

Barnie

• Like 1

That's an excellent specification would make a good list of features for an Atari 8-bit "reloaded" Motherboard that had all the new features on board.

3D printers aren't as good as mass produced cases, but that neeeds investment. It's fasinating reading the latest A1200 update regarding case production.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/a1200housing/new-amiga-1200-cases-made-from-new-molds/posts/1648875

Barnie

Yeah when I first conceived of my tooled metal cased A8, I was first intending to create a new small footprint motherboard to put in it (yep I know... not the first guy to think about doing that). but then my saner self kicked in, and I said "why would I do that?". Anyway still wanting to do the re-cased A8, I started entertaining the idea of using an existing motherboard. But unlike Ben Heck, I didn't want to do a cut 'n' hack job to make it smaller (no offense intended, I think Ben does some great work). Then I started seriously looking at the XEGS, and decided with a few simple mods, it could make the perfect starting point for my project. So here I am about to embark on that journey.

Thanks for the link to the Amiga 1200 Case kickstarter project. That looks like a possible way to go for this project as well.

Quite some time ago I did get as far as prototype stage with my "Reality Station" concept, lots of time, effort and money. I've got to the point where I want to revisit the whole "home computer" concept and that includes where retro computing overlaps with computers such as the raspberry pi. I think its essential that these ideas are at least partly owned by the community.

Some background:

https://twitter.com/bgiltrap/status/557712612633624576

https://twitter.com/bgiltrap/status/312717783232290816

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/346-this-is-reality-control/

Hopefully I've learnt from my mistakes!

Barnie

Wow quite the endeavor! I too like the Raspberry Pi A8 emulation aspect. Seems to be a cheaper approach than something like the Myst, and probably with a better future as well (they'll just keep making faster, cheaper, and more capable versions of the Pi).

- Michael

Wow quite the endeavor! I too like the Raspberry Pi A8 emulation aspect. Seems to be a cheaper approach than something like the Myst, and probably with a better future as well (they'll just keep making faster, cheaper, and more capable versions of the Pi).

- Michael

I think each solution has its pro's & con's - the Mist cores are opensource so can be improved. I do find I prefer MiST to emulation.

Clearly overlaps in use cases for the Raspberry Pi and Mist, which is I I think why the A1200 case offers mounting points for both solutions

I will have a think about a poll with options input would be welcome :) It would be good for the community (and hardware suppliers) to have a reasonble idea of where demand is

Barnie

Barnie

It depends on 3d printing technology https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printing#Processesfor example my 3d printer got 0,05mm extruder.

But stereolithography has no layers... Molded plastics is best. But forms cost like brand new car for example. So for small series it is not ideal technology.

But when there will be RPi and MiST users buying them so why not to make crowdfunding...

• Like 1

I would prefer some sort of community stake holding/shareholding set up not sure of the legalities of that, but I know its been achieved before. Cad designs need to be done and shared, that would allow contributions and variations.

Bounty programmes have been used for some projects. If serious about manufacturing for profit local business support maybe available (including funding)

Barnie

It depends on 3d printing technology https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printing#Processesfor example my 3d printer got 0,05mm extruder.

But stereolithography has no layers... Molded plastics is best. But forms cost like brand new car for example. So for small series it is not ideal technology.

But when there will be RPi and MiST users buying them so why not to make crowdfunding...

fascinating video by Bill Herd regarding the C116 . In an alternative reality this probably would have wiped out the ZX Spectrum. Instead Jack left, the market moved forward hence the Atari ST.

Consider cost of manufacture number of components etc.

Just to throw out some thoughts using Jack's principles of controlling cost + elements of opensource .

Open Source Case(s) with ability to mount MiST & Rasberry Pi. Fund new projects such as an 8-bit reloaded PCB & finally a cost reduced MiST based system all in one with keyboard no legacy ports and HDMI

Barnie

• Like 1

I will release my "Atari" cad files as open source. And I will be happy to get support from other 3d printers owners. I will be not able to print them in large volumes.

Also you will be able to modify them as you want. Only thing you will needs to keep is my name and my website on that design as I will be original designer.

For example designed by Matej / www.matej.tech and modified by your name...

Yep I will probably just make paypal donation button on my page. To pay my webdomain, webserver fees and fillaments for prototypes.

And as I wrote when there are another people with 3d printers here let me know!!! Local printing is better for lower cost, ecology...

Maybe in far far future I will make SBC only cases (RPi, Olimex, MiST, mini-ITX) and they will be closed source (I will be selling them on my webshop).

But first lets do XE case!!! Thats far future from now...

Edited by Matej
  • Like 2