IGNORED

Lot of Atari 5200 protos on ShopGoodwill...

Crimefighter

Unbelievable. For that kind of stupid money, I'm ready to toss my 5200 protos on eBay too.

They're common as crap, and not worth much at all, but to see those kinds of prices, screw it. I have a couple dozen, so I guess I'd be looking at several G's. Hells to the yes...

• Like 2

Unbelievable. For that kind of stupid money, I'm ready to toss my 5200 protos on eBay too.

They're common as crap, and not worth much at all, but to see those kinds of prices, screw it. I have a couple dozen, so I guess I'd be looking at several G's. Hells to the yes...

I think the fact they are on goodwill's site might have something to do with the inflated price. I sure hope so anyhow cause that price is nuts.

• Like 1

Pole Position is "rev H"

Centipede is "rev A"

Ball Blazer is 2/29/84

Meebzork is 5/18

Rescue on Fractus is 2/29/84

Xevious is 11/9

Pengo - can't tell

Dig Dug is 171

Pole Position is "rev H" - No idea. I've never heard of a revision H before. All the Rev A's I've run into are the final versions though.
Centipede is "rev A" - Final
Ball Blazer is 2/29/84 - Almost final. This is going to still have the name on the splash screen
Meebzork is 5/18 - This is the final version of the first version. AKA the 'shooting' version.
Rescue on Fractus is 2/29/84 - Same as Ball Blazer
Xevious is 11/9 - AFAIK this versio hasn't been dumped, but it might be the one from the old Sean Kelly multicart since I never could find a date for that one.
Pengo - can't tell
Dig Dug is 171 - Final
There's really nothing interesting in this lot, at least from a new version perspective.

So these protos are worth what say $100 a pop? Looks like someone is paying a g note too much. But then again it is goodwill so they might be righting it off for taxes.

They can't completely write it off on their taxes. They are buying something, not making a direct donation of money. When you buy something from a charitable auction, you can only claim a deduction for the amount you paid over the fair market value. For example, if the fair market value is $100 and you buy it at an auction for $75, there is no charitable deduction allowed. If the fair market value is $100 and you pay $200, you can deduct $100.

Enough of the tax lesson. They're paying too much. Must be nice to have money to spend recklessly.

• Like 1

They can't completely write it off on their taxes. They are buying something, not making a direct donation of money. When you buy something from a charitable auction, you can only claim a deduction for the amount you paid over the fair market value. For example, if the fair market value is $100 and you buy it at an auction for $75, there is no charitable deduction allowed. If the fair market value is $100 and you pay $200, you can deduct $100.

Enough of the tax lesson. They're paying too much. Must be nice to have money to spend recklessly.

Value of these could be taken at the price of say $100 to $200 as a system & games lot so they get a $2k write off. Someone looking to write these off would surely have no issue doing math like that.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave up shopping the Goodwill site some time ago. The prices there are beyond ridiculous. I see a couple of the same buyers on there over and over buying much of the retro gaming items for insane amounts. I guess if you can legally manage to write off some portion of the purchase it makes a little more sense.

There has been speculation that Shopgoodwill bids up their own auctions. There has been a worker that has admitted to bidding on items, but was not clear why. They are so ripe for a class action lawsuit about this.

This has been documented many times. I used to buy on the site regularly, however that was many years ago.

• 11 months later...

That is right. Years ago I bid up a rubber chicken from a coin sites charity auction . Paid around 680.00 and was able to write off 620 . Reason being the chicken was a 5.00 item and the coin value was estimated at 55.00 in flatend out coins. Money went to a good cause. I got a tax writ off and my tax guy was like what the hell seeING in the write offs 1 rubber chicken.