IGNORED

How do you store your collection?

liquid_sky

Quite a few of the boxes I have are in poor shape so I have been putting the boxes on a shelf after taking the cartridge out. I've got all of my boxes on a DVD storage unit, all of my cartridges in a shoebox, and all of my instructions in a zip lock by my cartridges. Suffice to say, it looks pretty terrible. I want to be able to enjoy the artwork of these boxes but I don't want to put them through the wear and tear of actual usage (I know, I should just get a Multicart lol.. working on it)

So.. what are your solutions? Some boxes I've got have been gently taped back into place with clear tape, is this a good idea or does it take away from the value? Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd ever collect CIB, my Atari games are all loose cart but with the O2 it's actually not that expensive to 'do it right'.

PPS, what's your recommended multi-cart, since I know this is probably the best idea down the line :D

Don't why they decided to release US games in cardboard boxes. Over here in Europe, only the first released games came in cardboard. Later on they switched to plastic boxes, much nicer. I keep the boxes in storages now, since i use my multicart.

• Like 1

Don't why they decided to release US games in cardboard boxes. Over here in Europe, only the first released games came in cardboard. Later on they switched to plastic boxes, much nicer. I keep the boxes in storages now, since i use my multicart.

The artwork on the US boxes is pretty awesome though.

I've got stuff all over the place at the moment, stored in different ways.

I've got my loose Coleco, Intellivision, Bally, boxed Odyssey 2, boxed+loose Channel F and Studio II, and most of my loose 2600 carts up on track shelving (along with 7800, 5200, and red 2600 boxes). Below the section of track shelves that holds my Intellivision carts, I've got a nice old computer desk with hutch that my family's had since the early '90s--with the slide-out keyboard tray it's clearly meant for some form of PC or something with a detached keyboard, but right now it houses my TRS-80, the top shelf of the hutch is all boxed Intellivision and Aquarius titles, the "cubby" shelf of the hutch houses books, manuals, and binders for the system I have set up there are the moment (right now it's TRS-80 stuff). There's a shelf underneath the desk that runs along the length of it that I fit four plastic bins full of different Atari controllers (one box for CX40s and CX10s, one for paddles and driving controllers, one for keyboard controllers, and one for my favorite third-party joysticks).

In the TV console in my gameroom I've got all my 3DO and N64 stuff, and one of those plastic media cases full of Dreamcast games. In the closet of my game room, I've got two nice wooden 4-shelf storage units (each ~6' tall) stuffed with boxed consoles and accessories--Atari 5200, Color Computer 2, Color Computer 3, Tano Dragon, Video Arcade II, Coleco Gemini, C64, VIC-20, TI-99/4a + PEB + monitor, Aquarius, four different Intellivisions, Channel F + Channel F System II, and some loose stuff shoved in the cracks. There's a shelf along the top of the closet that holds my boxed Odysseys (1, 100-500, 2) and some boxed Pongs and Coleco accessories.

Next the the chair in the gameroom, I've got two CD towers that hold my VIC-20, TI-99/4a, Color Computer, and Atari 400/800 carts/tapes; my C64 stuff doesn't quite fit. On the other side of the chair is an end table; about a hundred NES carts are just stacked on top, and below is a crate full of gaming magazines and books both old and new. On the wall opposite the desk is a fairly nice CD cabinet (yay hand-me-downs!) with tinted glass doors that houses most of my third-party 2600 carts, and on top of that another 100ish NES carts are stacked up. There's also another medium-height bookcase that is packed with my boxed C64, IBM, and Apple games, as well as various system manuals and generic computer books from the '80s; a Vectrex and a case of loose Odyssey cartridges sits on top.

Then in the basement, I've got two massive four-decker shelves my father-in-law built for us with 2x4s and sheets of shelving board (I'm guessing 9'w x 7'h x 3'd or something); the top two decks are plastic totes containing loose/unboxed systems, sometimes two or more to a tote, about 20 totes in all--there are some Apple IIe rigs, a IIc, and some misc. monitors and TVs there as well. The third deck is actual functional computer setups: Commodore 64, MC-10/Timex 1000, TRS-80 Model II + Disk Expansion, Apple IIe Platinum, Compaq Portable, and TI-99/4a. Bottom deck is Rubbermaid bins of Atari/Commodore controllers, bins of NES controllers, bins of Sega controllers, bins of power adapters and power cords and video cords and switchboxes and stuff, a TRS-80 Line Printer VII, an Apple printer, a boxed Imagewriter II, and a couple other boxes of miscellany.

It's not nearly as organized as it sounds, though. I've got a lot of other stuff that's sort of homeless right now, like my other Vectrex, a box full of all my 5200 and 7800 carts, and the boxes of Jaguar stuff I'm hanging onto for my brother while he's doing grad school. Lots of stuff just kind of sitting out, on the floor, wherever. That's my project for the rest of the summer.

Edited by BassGuitari

I use these:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60275812/

and use these shelf boxes that fit perfectly in the cubes, they can hold cartridges\boxes and sets of controllers.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10300319/

I have quite a few of those IKEA shelves around the house, when people come over I usually say welcome to the land of cubes. lol

• Like 1