IGNORED

Respeqt usage questions

kd0rg

I have played around with RespeQT a bit and have gotten it to work, booted into a few games and demos (atr files), and booted into TurboBasic. It works great.

I'm wondering how I would use drives 2 through 8 ( or more ). Can I make a blank virtual disk and save some basic programs to it? If so, how? I have read the manual but it doesn't make it apparent. Is this similar to the folder option? Now that I think about it, it probably is.

Can someone give me a scenario where one might use all the drives?

Thanks

Well suppose you have a game disk Side A.ATR mounted as D1:. You might have the same disk Side B mounted as D2: and then do a drag and drop swap between them when the game tells you to flip over the disk. Or you might have a blank, formatted .ATR as D2: to use for save files. Pretty much a virtual equivalent of how many folks use or used two physical floppy drives back in the day.

As for D3: - D Whatever: ... that's limited only by your imagination. Format a few DSDD .ATR's and you have quite a bit of storage handy (in 8-bit terms at least) and usable just like you'd use and physical disks in an array of physical drives.

OK, cool. I didn't realize that I could switch disks on the fly but it makes sense. I did not own an Atari computer until year or so ago and have never really used the machines before that.

I will create a few disks ( I see how to do that now ) and play around with it.

Thanks DrVenkman

RespeQt can make disk images for you. Don't forget to format them with the DOS of your choice.

Is there a way to format the disk image with RespeQT or do I need to do that from my 800? I want to create a disk image and add some basic programs to it that I have on my PC.

I see that the disk properties window has a dropdown menu for the filesystem but not sure why as it doesn't seem to do anything if I change it. Would it be used for the folder option?

Edited by kd0rg