IGNORED

The Atari 5200 Podcast (New Podcast)

David Alexander

Great episode, just got done listening to it.

I own "The Arcade Game" and kind of enjoy it, but your descriptions of Death Star Battle have me really curious. I need to go play this game and see if it's as insane as you guys make it out to be.

• Like 1

Finished putting together my analogue 5200 controller. A big thanks to Scott Baker for designing the PCB and Thanks to AA Member amiman99 who designed a case. And a huge thank you to my friend Michael who 3D printed the cases for me for free.

Just to answer a question that I have received a few times since posting these pictures. I am right handed so I chose to put the analogue stick on the right side. If you look at the Atari 2600 Joystick the button is on the left and the stick is used by the right hand. When I use my original 5200 controller my left hand uses the fire buttons and my right hand controls the stick. I heard that originally arcade games had the joystick on the right side but later changed it to the left side to make the games harder since most people were right handed. But for me the stick on the right side works just fine :)

post-38693-0-74196100-1552592634.png

post-38693-0-30652700-1552592647_thumb.jpg

post-38693-0-75169700-1552592657_thumb.jpg

post-38693-0-49111200-1552592664_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

That looks awesome! I am sure that should sell real well within the 5200 community.

Finished putting together my analogue 5200 controller. A big thanks to Scott Baker for designing the PCB and Thanks to AA Member amiman99 who designed a case. And a huge thank you to my friend Michael who 3D printed the cases for me for free.

• Like 1

Nice work! Looks cool. How does it feel in your hands and how does it play? Specifically, how does it compare to using a ps2 controller with Scott's ps2 adapter?

I have to try both more but I find that the feel of the analogue stick is similar on both the PS2 adapter and the SM Baker 5200 Homemade controller. I will try to get an updated opinion on our next review episode.

That controller looks great. How did you get the case printed? I want to get that for my controllers. By the way, listened to the episode and it was great! Spot on about the games. I did laugh at the outtakes at the end, particularly with my name. :)

• Like 2

That controller looks great. How did you get the case printed? I want to get that for my controllers. By the way, listened to the episode and it was great! Spot on about the games. I did laugh at the outtakes at the end, particularly with my name. :)

My friend is willing to print one case for $30 and two cases for $50.

Episode 9 Star Wars Arcade and Star Wars Death Star Battle in the can. Capt. Bob will have it posted on the net shorty.

Just finished listening to the episode. Great job guys :thumbsup: BTW, I totally agree that that both games are better left as multi-cart ROMs and that the artwork for ROTJ Death Star Battle would make a great poster!

• Like 1

I realize that I'm late to the party, but I just discovered this game (Sea Dragon) on the forums. Thought I should share this, just in case someone else is unaware.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/224340-sea-dragon/?p=2969593

BTW, if you have a 4-Port, you get a bonus. :)

• Like 2

(Steve) Ever wondered what the rarest 5200 controllers are? You might be surprised to find out that the company behind the rare 5200 game, Meteorites, made a joystick which is among the rarest of the rare for this system... or any video game system for that matter. Check out my presentation for more info:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ralf Puchner to Atari 5200 Fanatics! onMarch 31 at 6:03 PM

Today I’ve played around in improving the CX52 controller. First improvement is an automatic centering.

So moving controller to any direction let them automatically return to middle. The solution is purely mechanical, less than $1 and so simple that i wonder Atari had not implemented themselves at release of system.

Next is to improve the fire buttons.

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.puchner/videos/2292301391046698/

Please see the link above.

• Like 4