IGNORED

The Atari 5200 Podcast (New Podcast)

David Alexander

Very cool! I wonder how is the progress coming with the 5200 Black Edition? Has Mr. Puchner given any further updates on that? Just wondering.

Ralf Puchner to Atari 5200 Fanatics! onMarch 31 at 6:03 PM

Today I’ve played around in improving the CX52 controller. First improvement is an automatic centering.

So moving controller to any direction let them automatically return to middle. The solution is purely mechanical, less than $1 and so simple that i wonder Atari had not implemented themselves at release of system.

Next is to improve the fire buttons.

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.puchner/videos/2292301391046698/

Please see the link above.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Looks like a pretty good deal! Everything looks in pretty good condition. Do let us know how the controllers have held up.

Hi, I got this off eBay and the seller doesn't ship to Canada so its being shipped to my podcast co-host Steve.

He will check it out for me than if its all OK he will then ship to me in Canada :)

I can use my 2600 Adapter with it and I always wanted to add a two port to me collection.

• Like 1

Hi Sramirez2008, I think I saw a post where you bought a motherboard from Best and got your two port working again.

If that was you how easy was it to swap the mother boards as my new 2 port 5200 just shows a black screen, thanks.

It's literally a swap, very easy. The only thing to look out for are the pins towards the front of the console (see ~8:15 of the this video). The pins hold the board in place.

I also purchased a new RF cord, but you could unplug the one from your old board into the new one if you wanted. :)

• Like 1

It's literally a swap, very easy. The only thing to look out for are the pins towards the front of the console (see ~8:15 of the this video). The pins hold the board in place.

I also purchased a new RF cord, but you could unplug the one from your old board into the new one if you wanted. :)

Thanks so much.

• Like 1

Update on the eagerly anticipated Atari 5200 Console from Ralph Puchner along with news about his other console offerings.

10530945_1436171469993032_67315169304041

Ralf Puchner to The Atari 5200 Podcast

I completed the Universal Analogue Video (UAV) connector for Atari 2600 in terms of VGA and RGB. So finally I'm the only one delivering out of the box PAL consoles with HF/AV/S-Video/HDMI/VGA and RGB (SCART) signals. Instead of let the customer find the right combination customers are able to connect their beloved retro machines with certified adapters, so delivering outstanding video output.

On the other side are the "Black Edition" variants of the console offering built in HDMI support with additional unique features like switchless pause and enhanced 2600 compatibility (like the Atari 7800 Black Edition).

A 3rd option is dedicated to collector items like heavy sixer or brand new 5200 consoles: an adapter to directly connect without modding the console itself.

Finally any research, development and testing on 2600 and 7800 consoles will find their way to the 5200 offers as well.

Sadly not every adapter is working 1:1 on each console but the overall concept will be implemented.

We already qualified adapters for VGA and RGB for the Atari 5200 Universal Analogue Video connector meanwhile. So this console will start with HF/AV/S-Video/HDMI/VGA and RGB (SCART) compatibility from the beginning.

The HDMI mod prototype exists nearly two years now. I quickly observed there are additional features required to satisfy the video needs on Atari 5200 consoles as well as the controller side.

The huge chassis requires additional enhancements as well to be cleaned and restored properly specially as it suffers from scratches all the time.

That's why I decided to split the offers. 5200 Consoles boxed or mint won't be modified and offered with the adapter and addon's like Atari 2600 module or trackballs.

4-port machines will be modded for Universal Analogue Video connectors and two port machines re-incarnates as "Black Editions".

All offers gets new CX52 internals with autocenter and function key enhancements. Option 2 and 3 includes a simple stereo core. There will be also a suitcase for shipping.

A lot of people always ask for status/project state.

At the beginning it was a question of priority as I was also in development for the best Coleco Vision and Intellivision consoles which were completed.

2019 is in focus of Jaguar controllers and Atari 5200 - and this will happen.

The Atari jaguar controllers are ready for production but cost calculation were an issue so there are currently on hold due to economically reason until I find a way to reduce costs or bundle them with other options.

Atari 5200 projects are currently in the end-game state. Universal Analogue Video connector has been completed, simple stereo core is working fine and the CX52 improvements together with new mylars has been tested.

The only missing part is a small video circuit enhancement allowing better screen centering. The chip performing this task is currently in prototype stage. If it will be completed I will immediately order the new HDMI boards for the Black Edition. The new front plates are already there and waiting for first prototype assembly. Then the only remaining part is the suitcase required for shipping.

• Like 3

Definitely I can't wait to see this project come to fruition and see what all it can do. I will be very interested in seeing the finished product and might just have to splurge on getting this. Please keep the information following on this as this looks to be a really cool development for the 5200.

Update on the eagerly anticipated Atari 5200 Console from Ralph Puchner along with news about his other console offerings.

10530945_1436171469993032_67315169304041

Ralf Puchner to The Atari 5200 Podcast

I completed the Universal Analogue Video (UAV) connector for Atari 2600 in terms of VGA and RGB. So finally I'm the only one delivering out of the box PAL consoles with HF/AV/S-Video/HDMI/VGA and RGB (SCART) signals. Instead of let the customer find the right combination customers are able to connect their beloved retro machines with certified adapters, so delivering outstanding video output.

On the other side are the "Black Edition" variants of the console offering built in HDMI support with additional unique features like switchless pause and enhanced 2600 compatibility (like the Atari 7800 Black Edition).

A 3rd option is dedicated to collector items like heavy sixer or brand new 5200 consoles: an adapter to directly connect without modding the console itself.

Finally any research, development and testing on 2600 and 7800 consoles will find their way to the 5200 offers as well.

Sadly not every adapter is working 1:1 on each console but the overall concept will be implemented.

We already qualified adapters for VGA and RGB for the Atari 5200 Universal Analogue Video connector meanwhile. So this console will start with HF/AV/S-Video/HDMI/VGA and RGB (SCART) compatibility from the beginning.

The HDMI mod prototype exists nearly two years now. I quickly observed there are additional features required to satisfy the video needs on Atari 5200 consoles as well as the controller side.

The huge chassis requires additional enhancements as well to be cleaned and restored properly specially as it suffers from scratches all the time.

That's why I decided to split the offers. 5200 Consoles boxed or mint won't be modified and offered with the adapter and addon's like Atari 2600 module or trackballs.

4-port machines will be modded for Universal Analogue Video connectors and two port machines re-incarnates as "Black Editions".

All offers gets new CX52 internals with autocenter and function key enhancements. Option 2 and 3 includes a simple stereo core. There will be also a suitcase for shipping.

A lot of people always ask for status/project state.

At the beginning it was a question of priority as I was also in development for the best Coleco Vision and Intellivision consoles which were completed.

2019 is in focus of Jaguar controllers and Atari 5200 - and this will happen.

The Atari jaguar controllers are ready for production but cost calculation were an issue so there are currently on hold due to economically reason until I find a way to reduce costs or bundle them with other options.

Atari 5200 projects are currently in the end-game state. Universal Analogue Video connector has been completed, simple stereo core is working fine and the CX52 improvements together with new mylars has been tested.

The only missing part is a small video circuit enhancement allowing better screen centering. The chip performing this task is currently in prototype stage. If it will be completed I will immediately order the new HDMI boards for the Black Edition. The new front plates are already there and waiting for first prototype assembly. Then the only remaining part is the suitcase required for shipping.

• Like 2

Definitely I can't wait to see this project come to fruition and see what all it can do. I will be very interested in seeing the finished product and might just have to splurge on getting this. Please keep the information following on this as this looks to be a really cool development for the 5200.

Will do as I am interested in getting one for myself.

• Like 1

Hello to all our listeners and Atari 5200 fans alike. We will be having a new Contest Giveaway soon and the prize for the best answer will be a set of Atari 5200 Super Overlays made by Phil Boland. The question to answer will be something like, Why was the Atari 5200 Analogue Controller the most advanced and best controller of its time? We will update you with more details in our next episode. We hope to hear from you all

post-38693-0-98701800-1557952308.jpg

post-38693-0-67188700-1557952325_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Update on my $99.00 Atari 5200 2 Port complete.

This was shipped to my buddy and co-host Steve who's initial test showed the system was DOA.

Quick order to Best Electronics for a Brand New 5200 2 Port Motherboard.

Steve Replaced the Motherboard and the system now works as New.

Added Bonus is that both stock 5200 controllers work!!!

So all in all $99 plus $50 = $150. (not including shipping)

The system looks immaculate.

Steve will be posting a video on his Wired Up Retro YouTube Channel of the Motherboard Replacement.

Did I get a deal now? What do you guys think?

post-38693-0-82337100-1558269740_thumb.jpg

• Like 1