IGNORED

The Atari 5200 Podcast (New Podcast)

David Alexander

On 12/30/2019 at 10:35 PM, David Alexander said:

The episode is in the can. We had to fight through cold's, congestion and technical issues but at least Ballblazer & Rescue on Fractalus is recorded. Now on to editing :).

Thank you, I have really enjoyed listening to your episodes.  Your podcast has me thinking of either getting my original Atari 800 down from my attic, or moving over to getting a 5200.  I'm still pissed that I missed out on Fractulus when I was growing up. How I wish now, that I could have played that with my dad.  I am lucky and know it, so I'm just being "can't think of word".  I have so many great memories of co-piloting Star Raiders and Sub Commander, and F-15 Strike Eagle.  Cheers man!, appreciate what you do. 

• Like 1

Today I put up a review of the Maker Matrix Atari 5200 controller along with gameplay footage of it in action playing Popeye, Ms. Pac-Man, Gorf, Tempest. Star Wars the Arcade Game, and Beamrider. 

The verdict:  I really am glad to be an owner if this gamepad. It works well with more than 90 percent of the 5200 library, and actually has full analog capability. The only games that may not work well are the ones that don't do well with an autocentering joystick (ie. Missile Command and Star Wars Arcade).

Check it out:  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ave1 said:

Today I put up a review of the Maker Matrix Atari 5200 controller along with gameplay footage of it in action playing Popeye, Ms. Pac-Man, Gorf, Tempest. Star Wars the Arcade Game, and Beamrider. 

The verdict:  I really am glad to be an owner if this gamepad. It works well with more than 90 percent of the 5200 library, and actually has full analog capability. The only games that may not work well are the ones that don't do well with an autocentering joystick (ie. Missile Command and Star Wars Arcade).

Check it out:  

Gyruss does not work and also Bounty Bob Strikes Back. I also had odd issues with Popeye. I will have to try and go through all the games to see about the others.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 5:39 PM, AtariBrian said:

Gyruss does not work and also Bounty Bob Strikes Back. I also had odd issues with Popeye. I will have to try and go through all the games to see about the others.

I tried Gyruss and couldn't go right. When I plugged in Missile Command I noticed that the cursor was slightly off center (skewed slightly to the left), so I think my 5200 could stand to have a very small potentiometer adjustment. Gyruss may require things to be perfectly centered in order to move the ship to the left and to the right by circular stick movements around the edges.  In other words, I think Gyruss could possibly be made to work with the Maker Matrix controller. 

When it comes to Bounty Bob and Popeye not working correctly on your system, I believe the problem may be related to your potentiometer needing an adjustment.  Popeye works great with it on my 5200.  Here's a video that shows Bounty Bob working with the Maker Matrix controller (go to 5 minutes 25 seconds in): 

On 1/17/2020 at 12:06 PM, David Alexander said:

Update Video:

Wireless 5200 controllers gbros style clarification

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtqeYGITEcM&feature=emb_logo

This is truly a great discovery. With only two adapters that are readily available for purchase, the 5200 games are working with a variety of controllers. Nice! 

I put up a video four years ago that had to do with using wireless adapters from the 80s to accomplish getting NES controllers working on the 5200.  The adapters weren't necessarily easy to find and the wireless range was less than 8 or 10 feet.  Then about 3 years ago I did another video adding an 8bitdo NES Retro Receiver to the chain of adapters to get PS3, PS4, Wii, and WiiU controllers working on the 5200.

What the Youtuber, kssfury (who is 0078265317 at Atariage), has done here is considerably less expensive and simpler to accomplish.  And the wireless range is considerably extended. I will have to get these adapters and see how this is working on my own 5200.  

This experiment looks like a great success :)

10 hours ago, ave1 said:

This is truly a great discovery. With only two adapters that are readily available for purchase, the 5200 games are working with a variety of controllers. Nice! 

I put up a video four years ago that had to do with using wireless adapters from the 80s to accomplish getting NES controllers working on the 5200.  The adapters weren't necessarily easy to find and the wireless range was less than 8 or 10 feet.  Then about 3 years ago I did another video adding an 8bitdo NES Retro Receiver to the chain of adapters to get PS3, PS4, Wii, and WiiU controllers working on the 5200.

What the Youtuber, kssfury (who is 0078265317 at Atariage), has done here is considerably less expensive and simpler to accomplish.  And the wireless range is considerably extended. I will have to get these adapters and see how this is working on my own 5200.  

This experiment looks like a great success :)

Thanks.  On facebook the atari 5200 podcast group.  One person said they cannot hear me.  Could you hear me.

13 minutes ago, ave1 said:

Yes- heard every word. Once you get a camera stand and can get more close-ups of the controllers and equipment, things will be even better :)

I don't make a ton of movies so I don't have the same professional setup as wired up retro.  Once you get the adapters you will have to do another wired up retro.

13 hours ago, David Alexander said:

Internet and sound difficulties could not stop me from calling in and doing a promo for the Atari 5200 Podcast and Edladdin Controllers

https://www.facebook.com/TheAtari5200Podcast/videos/1288273634689988/

Sorry new link here: https://www.facebook.com/TheAtari5200Podcast/videos/256844581965619/