IGNORED

The Atari 5200 Podcast (New Podcast)

David Alexander

If anyone's wondering where Atari got the inspiration for the Analog joystick controllers, this might be a contender, from 1978:

https://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=2&c=726

interton_vc4000_1.jpg

and this from Radofin , apparently released in Deutschland in 1976:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1292_Advanced_Programmable_Video_System

450px-Acetronic-MPU-1000.jpg

I always thought they got the idea from the Analog computer joysticks, like the early Apple and IBM ones.

• Like 3

On 2/16/2020 at 7:39 PM, classicgamer74 said:

Thanks for posting this.  I have really become a big 5200 fan.  I can't wait to get my own someday.  If any of you guys have one you'd like to part with, please PM me. 

Glad to share but cant part with any of my 5200 systems as that great man Charlton Heston said "From my cold, dead hands."

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2020 at 1:25 PM, sramirez2008 said:

Berks Four, an A8 conversion for the 5200. Thanks to @Nojeee @Wrathchild @playsoft and anyone else that helped make this available for the community.

Thanks for the heads up

If you have an Atarimax cart, Berks Four - 5200 Version available right here: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/302297-berks-four-5200-version-64kb/

• Like 1

Got a new video up on the Genesis Retro Receiver discovery for the 5200 made by our Atariage compatriot 0078265317.  This enables a variety of bluetooth controllers (ie. Dual Shock4, Switch joycons, Xbox One controllers)  to work on many 9 pin controller systems- including the 5200 if you have an Atariguy1021 Masterplay Clone or a Lowbudget M.P. Clone.

Here's the video: 

And there's a way to get SNES and Gamecube controller compatibility, as well, which I go into explaining within the presentation.  This was a fun one to make!

9 hours ago, ave1 said:

Got a new video up on the Genesis Retro Receiver discovery for the 5200 made by our Atariage compatriot 0078265317.  This enables a variety of bluetooth controllers (ie. Dual Shock4, Switch joycons, Xbox One controllers)  to work on many 9 pin controller systems- including the 5200 if you have an Atariguy1021 Masterplay Clone or a Lowbudget M.P. Clone.

Here's the video: 

And there's a way to get SNES and Gamecube controller compatibility, as well, which I go into explaining within the presentation.  This was a fun one to make!

With all these controller alternatives today I think we can finally lay to rest the reason that people would not want to pick up an Atari 5200 today. Its a great system, its track ball cannot be beat and has some of the best arcade ports around for 1982.

Take that MJR & AVGN

3rdr07.jpg

2 hours ago, David Alexander said:

With all these controller alternatives today I think we can finally lay to rest the reason that people would not want to pick up an Atari 5200 today. Its a great system, its track ball cannot be beat and has some of the best arcade ports around for 1982.

Take that MJR & AVGN

3rdr07.jpg

I think the Atari 5200 is a good gaming system as well.  However, one still has to tackle the controller issue no matter what, and for some that is a non-starter.  I was fortunate when I owned my 5200 I had two working controllers, but even so some games just didn't work well with it.  Still, it is a good gaming system that deserves a lot less hate and more love.  But, an Atari 8-bit computer is still very much a viable and understandable alternative to the 5200.  Just my opinion and two cents.

My 2 cents is that the Atari 5200 Trakball makes many of the 5200 analog games stand head and shoulders over their 8 bit Atari computer counterparts.  One of those got released in 2012- Tempest... and there are many great homebrews/conversions regularly coming out for the 5200, not to mention the many great controller options for the 5200 digital games these days that it's really a system worth owning. 

I made a little mistake in the video that had to do with what adapters are needed to get that whole wireless controller system working.

This evening I tried plugging the Genesis Retro Receiver into the Masterplay Clone directly (without using with either the Best Electeonics cable or the Seagull78 in between them as I had shown in the video) and it's working.  I could've sworn that it wasn't working that way two evenings ago when I initially tried it.  But, it appears it's working now.

I guess, there's only a Masterplay Clone and an 8bitdo Genesis Retro Receiver required then.

7 minutes ago, ave1 said:

I made a little mistake in the video that had to do with what adapters are needed to get that whole wireless controller system working.

This evening I tried plugging the Genesis Retro Receiver into the Masterplay Clone directly (without using with either the Best Electeonics cable or the Seagull78 in between them as I had shown in the video) and it's working.  I could've sworn that it wasn't working that way two evenings ago when I initially tried it.  But, it appears it's working now.

I guess, there's only a Masterplay Clone and an 8bitdo Genesis Retro Receiver required then.

I though the same thing.  Thought I needed a seagull 78.  But later realized it works without.

8 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

I though the same thing.  Thought I needed a seagull 78.  But later realized it works without.

I must've overlooked it... or something truly just altered in the 8bitdo adapter (which I think is pretty unlikely,  but possible).

Steve redid his prior video to correct some inaccuracies. So here is his updated "Play Your Atari 2600, 5200, & 7800 with Dual Shock 3&4, XBox One, Wii & Switch Controllers (Vid#48)" Enjoy and please like and subscribe if you find his video's to be of benefit to you :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZjQzZurivM

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

And steve, thanks for the reshoot.

Steve redid his prior video to correct some inaccuracies. So here is his updated "Play Your Atari 2600, 5200, & 7800 with Dual Shock 3&4, XBox One, Wii & Switch Controllers (Vid#48)" Enjoy and please like and subscribe if you find his video's to be of benefit to you :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZjQzZurivM

• Like 1