IGNORED

The Compact Computer 40 (CC40)

8 minutes ago, Hugo Cervantes said:

Thanks again Jim. I succesfully implemented the diagram circuit (image above), including ground connection for pins 8 & 9 as you suggested. I was able as well to flash my Arduino UNO with the latest SRC.INO with no problem, so I tested it after connecting my TI-74 with the ribbon cable. Unfortunately I am not able yet to save/load programs. After typing SAVE "100.TEST" with a small program loaded, I am getting E0 I/O ERROR 39 "100". Any ideas/suggetions? 

During my troubleshooting, I tested my SD card reader with basic Arduino libraries and it works fine (read/write files), so that's not the issue. I tried as well to turn the clock function off (as you indicated on your comment above), however, I was not able to find CONFIG_CLOCK=1 in config.h. Should I look somwhere else? 

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions. I think I am pretty close to get this working! 
Hugo 

Sorry, I have to remember to quit answer these later in the evening (and yet here I am doing it again).

Line 222 (or around there, my local copy has some newer changes):

#define INCLUDE_CLOCK

You need to comment that line out to:

//#define INCLUDE_CLOCK

Make sure it's the one under the :

#elif CONFIG_HARDWARE_VARIANT == 3
/* ---------- Hardware configuration: Arduino with low power sleep---------- */

text.

See if that helps.  If not, let me know, and I have one of those boards, I can quickly set up the test here.

14 hours ago, brain said:

Sorry, I have to remember to quit answer these later in the evening (and yet here I am doing it again).

Line 222 (or around there, my local copy has some newer changes):

#define INCLUDE_CLOCK

You need to comment that line out to:

//#define INCLUDE_CLOCK

Make sure it's the one under the :

#elif CONFIG_HARDWARE_VARIANT == 3
/* ---------- Hardware configuration: Arduino with low power sleep---------- */

text.

See if that helps.  If not, let me know, and I have one of those boards, I can quickly set up the test here.

Thanks again for your quick reply... still no luck. I found/commented  "#define INCLUDE_CLOCK" as indicated. The only change I noticed is I am getting now E0 I/O ERROR 255 "100". It wouldbe great if you are able to test this latest version on your board  as I am almost sure my circuit is fine according with your diagram for SC card. Thanks! 

Well, I tested it, and it works here (I did get a few #39 errors early, but can't seem to reproduce).  Is it possible to send me some pics of you wiring of the dockbus port and cbaling to the ti-74?  I tested on my TI74 using my hexbus to dockbus converter, but I can't get it to fail here.  I did find a bug in the PRN subsystem, but I don't think it makes a difference here. I also used the Arduino 1.8.13 IDE, but I doubt that would be an issue.

Something else you (and others) can try.  At the top of the config.h file, there's:

//#define CONFIG_UART_DEBUG

Given the additional code space needed for debug, you'll have to comment out #define INCLUDE_SERIAL, #define INCLUDE_CLOCK, or #define INCLUDE_PRINTER to get a small enough code file to upload to the Arduino.

Uncomment that and fire up the internal serial monitor in the Arduino IDE, and after  flashing the app (it should be set to 115200bps, but change if needed), it should greet you with "HEXTIR ... 0.9.3.1" When you execute a HEX command, debug should show up on the console.  THat debug data is helpful as well.

Jim

Edited by brain
Add info
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

Are the hexbus and dockbus ports free of physical coincidence? Can I use it on my CC-40 then move it to the 74? or is it choose one, and adapt for the other via a cable? 

I'd like a little more clarity on your question, but I'll try to answer:

The DockBus and Hexbus connectors are completely different, but they are electrically compatible.  If you install both connectors (1x10 under the board, 2 2x4 connectors on top), you will not be able to plug into both DockBus and HexBus at the same time (by design, as I don't think that is supported), but you can use either a DockBus cable or a HexBus cable to connect to the unit.

Jim

• Like 2

13 hours ago, brain said:

I am prepping a new PCB run.  Any suggestions before I move forward (mounting holes, etc.?)

The unit has dual hexbus ports and a dockbus port, as well as power and activity leds.  It does include a real time clock and headers for the 2 serial ports.

HEXTIr_v1.1 PCB.png

Shut Up And Take My Money Futurama GIF - ShutUpAndTakeMyMoney Futurama Fry GIFs

? ? ?

17 hours ago, brain said:

I'd like a little more clarity on your question, but I'll try to answer:

The DockBus and Hexbus connectors are completely different, but they are electrically compatible.  If you install both connectors (1x10 under the board, 2 2x4 connectors on top), you will not be able to plug into both DockBus and HexBus at the same time (by design, as I don't think that is supported), but you can use either a DockBus cable or a HexBus cable to connect to the unit.

Jim

Thanks, yes, with both connector types populated on the pcb, but only one in use at a time. That's perfect. I would definitively support this with a purchase.   I was afraid looking at the pcb layout that it was a choice that had to be made at the time of assembly.

On 11/14/2020 at 2:36 PM, brain said:

Well, I tested it, and it works here (I did get a few #39 errors early, but can't seem to reproduce).  Is it possible to send me some pics of you wiring of the dockbus port and cbaling to the ti-74?  I tested on my TI74 using my hexbus to dockbus converter, but I can't get it to fail here.  I did find a bug in the PRN subsystem, but I don't think it makes a difference here. I also used the Arduino 1.8.13 IDE, but I doubt that would be an issue.

Something else you (and others) can try.  At the top of the config.h file, there's:

//#define CONFIG_UART_DEBUG

Given the additional code space needed for debug, you'll have to comment out #define INCLUDE_SERIAL, #define INCLUDE_CLOCK, or #define INCLUDE_PRINTER to get a small enough code file to upload to the Arduino.

Uncomment that and fire up the internal serial monitor in the Arduino IDE, and after  flashing the app (it should be set to 115200bps, but change if needed), it should greet you with "HEXTIR ... 0.9.3.1" When you execute a HEX command, debug should show up on the console.  THat debug data is helpful as well.

Jim

Still not good luck... I think part of the problem could be my dockbus wiring as I am not using any converter. Could I send you directly (trying not to saturate this forum) by email or other method some pics of my wiring? My email is hugoc57@hotmail.com. I activated as suggested the debug option, but not getting more information than this when entering SAVE "100.TEST" at my TI-74... which may indicate an issue with wiring, right? 

Capture1.JPG

Edited by Hugo Cervantes

11 minutes ago, Hugo Cervantes said:

Still not good luck... I think part of the problem could be my dockbus wiring as I am not using any converter. Could I send you directly (trying not to saturate this forum) by email or other method some pics of my wiring? My email is hugoc57@hotmail.com. I activated as suggested the debug option, but not getting more information than this when entering SAVE "100.TEST" at my TI-74... which may indicate an issue with wiring, right? 

Capture1.JPG

Sure, email sent.  For others, PM or (better still), fire off a note via the contact form at go4retro.com and I'll email back, and then we can converse via email.

The above says the bus is not correct, so that narrows things down quite a bit.

JIm

11 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

Thanks, yes, with both connector types populated on the pcb, but only one in use at a time. That's perfect. I would definitively support this with a purchase.   I was afraid looking at the pcb layout that it was a choice that had to be made at the time of assembly.

+1.  For someone who has both systems, it helps.  Might I also suggest that you sell the eight pin f-f cables, @brain.  And maybe the 2x4 cables, as options.

OK, anyone have an enclosure I should try to fit?  I'm looking at Hammond units, but nothing is reaching out.  The current PCB is 38.10x81.92mm, but I can finesse it a bit for a good case.  If I went a bit wider, I could put the DockBus and HexBus connectors in parallel on the back, with a Mini USB for power and the switch int eh back.

Let me know if anything looks interesting.

Jim

I understand, but I thought someone else figured out a solution.  If not,I'm not sure how I will be able to address the issue.  These long IDC 2x4 connectors are nothing I have seen available anywhere.  I typically use a regular IDC cable and a 2x4 arduino header/socket combo:

Like the 2x4 one in this set: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arduino-MEGA-Stackable-Female-Header-Pin-Shield-Kit-5x8-1x10-1x-2x3-1x-2x18/121561736528?hash=item1c4da4e550:g:0T8AAOSwPhdU0e48

Jim

• Like 1

3 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

Nope if you try the modern IDC cables they are too wide to fit in the hexbus ports on the cc40 and peripherals

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Would these work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-Double-Row-DuPont-2-54mm-Rainbow-Cable-Ribbon-Jumper-Wire-Female-Female/264011141771?hash=item3d784a528b:g:xrYAAOSw3BFcf3JN

I'm using the 1x8's with the 74 with no issue.  I haven't tried the 2x4 ones yet for the CC-40.

36 minutes ago, acadiel said:

Would these work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-Double-Row-DuPont-2-54mm-Rainbow-Cable-Ribbon-Jumper-Wire-Female-Female/264011141771?hash=item3d784a528b:g:xrYAAOSw3BFcf3JN

I'm using the 1x8's with the 74 with no issue.  I haven't tried the 2x4 ones yet for the CC-40.

I bought both kinds. We'll see.

Jim

On 11/16/2020 at 11:57 PM, brain said:

Sure, email sent.  For others, PM or (better still), fire off a note via the contact form at go4retro.com and I'll email back, and then we can converse via email.

The above says the bus is not correct, so that narrows things down quite a bit.

JIm

Jim, sent you last night some pics and info via email. Just would like to confirm if you received. Tks!!

• 2 weeks later...

I am happy to share with you another successful implementation of Jim Brain’s Arduino-Based SD Storage Solution, for a Texas Instruments TI-74 BasiCalc.  

Main differences on my project are:

1) I was not able to get/buy an Arduino-UNO SD Card Logging Recorder DataLogger ModuleShield, so I am using the standard Arduino SD Card Module.

2) This is for a Ti-74, therefore I am implementing for a Dockbus (10-pin) port instead of the CC40 Hexbus (8-pin) port.

Points to consider:

1) The standard Arduino SD Card Module DOES NOT have an integrated clock; DOES NOT have/support as well Card Detect and Write Protect pins. Fortunately this can be solved (as per Jim’s great support/advice) by simply connecting Digital pins 8 and 9 at the Arduino Uno card to ground. With this, both functions return present and non-write protected all the time.

2) Obviously, all programs and other files will be saved to the SD card with no date/time stamp, which is not a major issue, but with the advantage that latest code, shared by Jim at Github (HEXTIr version 0.9.3.2), does not require any modifications to be complied on the Arduino, and successfully run for a TI-74 connected to it.

3) I used Arduino IDE version 1.8.13

4) There was an old Fritzing diagram showing wiring for the standard Arduino SD card module, BUT it was outdated and had some errors/omissions. Please check attached here a new version, showing updated required grounding and pin assignments.

5) I started by implementing my prototype on a breadboard (see attached picture). Once correct functionality was confirmed, I migrated it to a regular Arduino Protoshield Borad (see attached picture) for the final version.

6) Trying to emulate a bit the Logging Recorder DataLogger ModuleShield, I glued the Arduino Standard CD Module to the Arduino Protoshield Borad. 

6) So far, I have successfully tested OLD, SAVE, RUN, VERIFY and LIST using a standard SD card formatted to FAT32.

Hope this may help others willing to replicate. 

Arduino Diagram-HC.JPG

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

IMG_5752.jpg

• Like 5

On 12/1/2020 at 12:49 AM, Hugo Cervantes said:

I am happy to share with you another successful implementation of Jim Brain’s Arduino-Based SD Storage Solution, for a Texas Instruments TI-74 BasiCalc.  

Main differences on my project are:

1) I was not able to get/buy an Arduino-UNO SD Card Logging Recorder DataLogger ModuleShield, so I am using the standard Arduino SD Card Module.

2) This is for a Ti-74, therefore I am implementing for a Dockbus (10-pin) port instead of the CC40 Hexbus (8-pin) port.

Points to consider:

1) The standard Arduino SD Card Module DOES NOT have an integrated clock; DOES NOT have/support as well Card Detect and Write Protect pins. Fortunately this can be solved (as per Jim’s great support/advice) by simply connecting Digital pins 8 and 9 at the Arduino Uno card to ground. With this, both functions return present and non-write protected all the time.

2) Obviously, all programs and other files will be saved to the SD card with no date/time stamp, which is not a major issue, but with the advantage that latest code, shared by Jim at Github (HEXTIr version 0.9.3.2), does not require any modifications to be complied on the Arduino, and successfully run for a TI-74 connected to it.

3) I used Arduino IDE version 1.8.13

4) There was an old Fritzing diagram showing wiring for the standard Arduino SD card module, BUT it was outdated and had some errors/omissions. Please check attached here a new version, showing updated required grounding and pin assignments.

5) I started by implementing my prototype on a breadboard (see attached picture). Once correct functionality was confirmed, I migrated it to a regular Arduino Protoshield Borad (see attached picture) for the final version.

6) Trying to emulate a bit the Logging Recorder DataLogger ModuleShield, I glued the Arduino Standard CD Module to the Arduino Protoshield Borad. 

6) So far, I have successfully tested OLD, SAVE, RUN, VERIFY and LIST using a standard SD card formatted to FAT32.

Hope this may help others willing to replicate. 

Arduino Diagram-HC.JPG

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

IMG_5752.jpg

Hello @Hugo Cervantes 

that is exactly what I would like to recreate for my TI-74.

Thank you 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wolhess said:

Hello @Hugo Cervantes 

that is exactly what I would like to recreate for my TI-74.

Thank you 

Hello Wolfgang, 

Go for it!! It is really not that hard to implement, and you will get lots of fun and interesting working hours with your TI-74 once you have a program/data storage solution. I can help with any questions that you may have, and for sure Jim and other experts here will be happy to assist as well. 

Good luck!  

• Like 1