IGNORED

The Compact Computer 40 (CC40)

WHHAATT? You've successfully implemented an SD cartridge for the CC40? While I work my way back through 27 pages, is there a Github etc. with documentation?  (It's in the first post, isn't it?) Edit - it was two posts away. I must learn the art of patience.

Edited by towmater

On 12/11/2020 at 12:16 PM, arcadeshopper said:

I would love to go into a story meeting and start taking notes on a CC40, making me king of the wonks (for a few minutes anyways, until I realize it has turned to ridicule) I gather this is not programmable in an Arduino Uno of the older style with the DIP socketed Atmega 328 chip? Also I wonder why the crystal+caps and not a simple resonator when the CC40 is slow in comparison... is that timing needed for the SD card?

Edited by towmater

29 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

They are in my shop

I'm starting to grok this now. The hexbus is the small connector that would lead to an external drive, and the multicart would be ideal to load Memo Processor, so it is better to have both devices? I initially thought the hexbus was the internal-ish cartridge connector.

Edited by towmater
  • Like 1

I'm starting to grok this now. The hexbus is the small connector that would lead to an external drive, and the multicart would be ideal to load Memo Processor, so it is better to have both devices? I initially thought the hexbus was the internal-ish cartridge connector.

Yes correct cart for packaged software drive for storage for entered and data

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

After successful implementation of the SD storage solution for CC-40 and TI-74 I was wondering, have some of the experts here (Jim Brain, Peter Engels, etc.) implemented a replacement solution for the TI-74 Pascal Module (TI-74 Cartridge "LEARN PASCAL”)? Beyond Basic, I would love using the SD solution for storing/testing with Pascal programs and data files. I remember reading some time ago (although can’t remember where) about someone sharing the original IT Learn Pascal cartridge image, so that it could be copied/used on a compatible EPROM for the TI-74 expansion slot. Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks!   

2968E877-7A6D-4160-95BC-6C4721D4F0F0.jpeg

Hi Hugo,

if you own a 32kB RAM-Module for the TI-74, you can use RWRAM.C74(B74) to load the PASCAL-ROM-Image (or any other Image) into the RAM-Module. This works with HEXTIr and TIIF2. After that NEW ALL, RUN "PASCAL" will start the PASCAL-Interpreter without any problems. Since the RAM-Module is buffered by a small battery, the contents is not lost if you change the module. I do it that way.

Peter

• Like 2

On 12/9/2020 at 8:23 PM, brain said:

Version 0.9.3.3 released:

https://github.com/go4retro/HEXTIr/releases/tag/v0.9.3.3

Some bug fixes (access beyond an EOF) and the unlink open file command implemented.

Peter Engels should take all credit.  I just merged in his changes.

I get an error during compilation stating that the sketch is too big for my Uno... Anything I can trim out?

Hi Hugo,

if you own a 32kB RAM-Module for the TI-74, you can use RWRAM.C74(B74) to load the PASCAL-ROM-Image (or any other Image) into the RAM-Module. This works with HEXTIr and TIIF2. After that NEW ALL, RUN "PASCAL" will start the PASCAL-Interpreter without any problems. Since the RAM-Module is buffered by a small battery, the contents is not lost if you change the module. I do it that way.

Peter
Where do I get this file?

2 hours ago, Vorticon said:

I get an error during compilation stating that the sketch is too big for my Uno... Anything I can trim out?

Temporarily, you can comment out line 232 in config.h (turns off printer).  It appears the sketch is right at the limit of the size, and depending on how I compile it, it's too big.  I'll see if I can trim a bit (it's only over by 75 bytes when it compiles too big.  I was able to compile it with all functions on, but it looks like it depends on what has been cached.

Or, you can use avrdude to load in the precompiled files in the m328-arduino directory, which are compiled using the native makefile system, and are smaller (The Arduino IDE compilation is not as compact, 29K versus 32K).

Jim

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pengels said:

Hi Hugo,

Peter

Thanks Peter. Unfortunately don’t have a RAM Module for the TÍ-74. I also read somewhere somebody building those as it is nearly impossible getting one these days. Any experience on that? I think the fake model that comes with each TI-74 could be adapted to store the EPROM and battery... 

Thanks Peter. Unfortunately don’t have a RAM Module for the TÍ-74. I also read somewhere somebody building those as it is nearly impossible getting one these days. Any experience on that? I think the fake model that comes with each TI-74 could be adapted to store the EPROM and battery... 
I just picked-up a bundle on eBay for a reasonable price and likely erased the 32k ram without considering it might still have data stored.. the 8k ram had elevator sw on it

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Vorticon said:

Hi Vorticon,

you can comment out the lines 231 & 232 in config.h (#define INCLUDE_SERIAL #define INCLUDE_PRINTER). The SD-interface doesn't have neither a printer nor a serial interface, therefore these modules are not needed for normal operation. They are used for debugging purposes. I wonder, why these modules are activated by default. The Sketch will be reduced to about 28kB after that and an additional advantage is, that the PC-324 can be used at the same time on the Hexbus.

Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pengels said:

Hi Vorticon,

you can comment out the lines 231 & 232 in config.h (#define INCLUDE_SERIAL #define INCLUDE_PRINTER). The SD-interface doesn't have neither a printer nor a serial interface, therefore these modules are not needed for normal operation. They are used for debugging purposes. I wonder, why these modules are activated by default. The Sketch will be reduced to about 28kB after that and an additional advantage is, that the PC-324 can be used at the same time on the Hexbus.

Peter

Thanks that did it. Of note is that there are 2 sections that have these INCLUDE statements and both have to be commented out. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pengels said:

Hi Vorticon,

Peter

Not to be pedantic, but the SD-interface *DOES* have a printer and a serial interface, depending on how folks configure their hardware.  I will concede that they are less used than the SD interface, but I don't think we can say they are unneeded for normal operation.  If you were using the printer or the serial, they absolutely are needed ?

But, yes, you can comment one or both out, and reduce the code size.

Jim

4 hours ago, Vorticon said:

Thanks that did it. Of note is that there are 2 sections that have these INCLUDE statements and both have to be commented out. 

I think there are actually 3 sections, maybe even 4, but that's because the config.h file is set up with various "hardware configs", and config #3 is the Arduino config.  That's the only one you need to uncomment.  I put the defines in each config separately so each hardware variant could choose which features to enable (you could technically enable the serial and parallel without the drive functionality).

Jim

• Like 1