IGNORED

Atari confessions. Confess your sins

totallyterrificpants

1. Until 8 years ago I thought the VCS was an primitive, upgraded pong console.

2. I only like to code for the console. (But I get the upcoming handheld so that will change)

3. I used my 7800 and Harmony Cartridge mostly for play-testing Stay Frosty 2

Edited by roland p
  • Like 1

I threw away all my boxes. Too much clutter! Darn it...

I left Atari gaming for over 10 years because I thought it was too archaic. SEGA!

I only owned the 2600 for a little over a year, BITD. It was fun but frustrating how watered down the games / ports were. Even so I owned way more games than my neighbors. Traded up to 5200.

I bought Haunted House instead of Adventure.

I LOL'd when I saw the 7800 on the Hills store shelf, with better looking Asteroids pictures, back in the mid 80's. Didn't buy one until about 2010.

When I finally played 7800 around 2010, I LOL'd at the horrible sound in mostly every game I owned.

Hello, my handle is iesposta and I was a teenage hardware hacker.

Sold my Atari VCS replacing it with ColecoVision Expansion Module #1.

I had to file the plastic opening wider to play the fantastic ram cart Starpath Supercharger games that came on cassette tape.

I added an extra connector to use a joystick to operate the console switches to make playing Activision's Starmaster and probably Starpath's Phaser Patrol easier.

Christmas 1980 or 81 my Uncle gifted my 2 brothers and I an Atari VCS.

A bit later my mom and I won an Atari VCS from a radio contest where you had to find 3 numbers from clues and then had to use those to open a safe, the trick being you needed to know how entering numbers into a safe's dial works with the 2nd number entered counter-clockwise past the first number. Most people didn't know this and even having the correct numbers spinning them in going from one to the next will not work.

We sold that Atari VCS unopened as we already owned one.

I bought Intellivision II and Vectrex cheap from RadioShack during the mid-80s videogame price crash, loving Snafu and Shark! Shark!, Minestorm and Star Castle as reasons to purchase those. (Best friend had the original Intellivision so I did not need to buy the great games because I would play them at his house.)

P.S. Shawn, I love that Marlboro Soup Avatar!

This is the rest of it:

gallery_29575_716_25544.jpg

1. My childhood 2600 was a Coleco Gemini.

2. I never call the 2600 a VCS. Before "2600" was on the Vader my family just called it "the Atari." Then Atari Corp. cemented it as the 2600 with their award winning commercials.

3. I repair Atari consoles in my free time and give them to friends and colleagues in an attempt to spread the disease of Atari collecting to my circle. It's beginning to work.

4. I enjoy playing Atari Pac-Man on the black & white setting.

Edited by atariLBC
  • Like 3

4. I enjoy playing Atari Pac-Man on the black & white setting.

You're not alone on that one.

Thought of another thing I do that's probably an Atari sin. My favorite paddle game is Super Breakout on progressive mode. All other modes could be left off of that cartridge and I would never notice.

• Like 4

I didn't own a VCS until 1997. My family had a Colecovision, then a Commodore 64. After that I mostly lost interest in video games (though I briefly considered buying a 2600 Jr. in 1989) until the PS1, which I was mainly interested in for the collections of classic arcade games and those mostly awful new versions of Frogger, Centipede etc.

I don't like Yars' Revenge or Megamania.

I like VCS Donkey Kong.

• Like 1

Made a pull-toy for my sister out of a heavy-sixer. Had casters rammed into the bottom screw holes. And it could hold nearly 60 pounds before sagging. RF cable was pretty strong too. Once that ran its course it served as a front bumper and skidplate on my sled.

Blasphemer!

Edited by D Train

Story time. I went to Toys 'R Us and my parents bought me Tower Toppler as a kid.

I took it home to play it, and it was... well, broken. The game wouldn't start; there was some sort of software glitch.

It looked like the levels were just repeating, but wouldn't start.

We took it back to Toys 'R Us, and got a new copy. I took it home and plugged it in. Same thing.

I told my Dad that we had to take it back, at which point he said "did you read the instructions?"

At that point I did. Apparently, if the difficulty switch is in a certain position, it rotates through the levels as a "level select" sort of mode.

So, I sent a perfectly working game back to Toys 'R Us, all because I didn't read the instructions.

• Like 4

I know I'm going straight to hell for this one, but I really must admit that I don't care for the original Heavy Sixer color output much at all. It's too pastel-y or something. Some games are affected more "adversely" (Ms. Pac comes to mind) than others, but overall, the palette just isn't how I remember it all throughout the 80's with my Vader. Love everything else about the H6'er, just not its flickery strobe-like, over the top colors. :)

I don't like Pitfall all that much, and I really enjoy E.T.

My first cartridge was Solar Storm, and I didn't know that it was a paddle game. When it didn't work with my joysticks, I took the whole system back to the store for exchange. I did that twice. :P

Edited by hizzy
  • Like 1

I don't love or hate the CX-40s.

My first 'Atari' was a Coleco Gemini.

The 7800 Prolines don't cramp my hands. Perhaps my hands are exactly the right size for them?

In my defense, while I could take or leave the stick, I absolutely love the action of a minty fresh CX-40 fire button. Who needs a game when you have that awesome button and a thumb to push it with? :grin:

• Like 3