IGNORED

Atari confessions. Confess your sins

totallyterrificpants

It's a sin that I hate almost everything about Atari's Pac-Man.

•Every sound is bad, from the start tune, to the twang eating, the pop-wop of the power pellet, to the death of your player.

•The colors!? Couldn't get a static blue maze on black right. Ghost monsters have color, but they all appear to be the same color.

•The sprites. Pac-Man is double line square blocky, and does not face up or down. Hard to see ghost monsters on a blue colored background. (Berzerk is double line, and the robots and player have DOZENS of animation images. Pac gets 3? Right closed, open, open more... mirror bit for left)

•Since Pac is not round with a triangle "mouth", add an ?EYEBALL? that the arcade game left out. That'll make the graphics spectacular.

•Gameplay. Barely any, and it isn't smooth and easy, but frustrating, too slow, and clunky.

•No fruit / item levels, or indication of mazes cleared.

What Atari got right: Pac is yellow. There's an escape tunnel from one side to the other. Four ghost enemies (kinda wish it was 3 so they would show up better). It adds up a score.

Complete agreement here. For people like me who fell in love with the arcade version, everything about this port was an unnecessary slap in the face. We knew we weren't going to get perfection from the 2600 port, but dammit, we knew it could do better than this!

• Like 2

My sins:

* The majority of Activision games are not fun. Yes they took VCS graphics to the next level, but the gameplay is simple and repetitive. Was just playing Barnstorming.. Through the barn, miss the windmill, through the barn, miss the windmill. That's the game! Many are just as simple.

* Pitfall was a technical marvel, but gets boring after about 5 screens. Pitfall II was much better.

* I played the hell out of River Raid when I got it, but now I don't really care for it.

* Don't care much for Asteroids or Breakout

* I actually like ET and can finish it.

* I prefer emulation to real hardware.

• Like 1

Probably but I can tell 2 are Activision and one is Parker Brothers from the shapes so who knows what those might be?

Two Laser Blasts and a Frogger.

Although I did have an unlabeled Activision cart turn out to be Decathlon once.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I plan on buying the Atari Flashback 8 Gold Activision Edition.

Same here first one since FB2+ and I think I'm going to get the new portable too.I like Pac-Man and think it gets too much grief. I understand in terms of arcade authenticity, but in term of being a version of Pac-Man it does the job. I also like to try and think of ways to make Atari games into drinking games.

• Like 1

My biggest Atari sin is probably just that the only Atari I've actually had is my dad's 2600. No 8-bit, no 7800, no Jaguar nor Lynx. I feel like such a poser on here.

That said, I also enjoyed 2600 Pac-Man, and even once programmed a demo recreation of it for Sega Genesis using Devster's BasiEgaXorz tool. Okay, yeah, that might be the bigger sin...

Two of my biggest:

1. I have never completed Pitfall! I can't jump the gods-be-damned crocodiles consistently.

2. Three years ago I passed on a CIB Heavy Sixer in a local shop because I thought "$75 but open to talk about it" was too much.

• Like 1

Apparently its a sin to have an Atari VCS under my telly according to my friends, when I should have a PS 4 or an Xbox One. Hell, im damn proud to have my Atari under my telly, and yes I still play it most days. And its still the one system I would pick from all of them to have under my telly. BTW the Harmony cart is amazing! I love super breakout thats my confession. And now I will say my Hail Marys....

You need new friends.

• Like 1

I plan on buying the Atari Flashback 8 Gold Activision Edition.

Actually if it's as good as the game list is suggesting it will be, I just might buy a Gold 8 as well, or ask Santa for one. I said before I thought the 7 (or was it the 6?) was this close to having an ideal cross-section of first-party and third-party 2600 games. Now, with third-party support from Activision in addition to existing Taito and Konami licenses, and with a strong possibility for at least one Namco game (assuming the Pac-Man license for the portable carries over to the 8 ), we just might get that ideal cross-section. About the only thing still missing would be a Midway/Williams license for Defender, Stargate and Joust.

So yeah, I suppose i'm interested in the 8 too, even when I usually sniff at these things. Is that another sin for me?

• Like 1