IGNORED

Apple IIc woes

sparkdrummer

I've had this computer for many, many years. Last time I used it (over 20 years ago) it worked fine. I decided to fire it up this morning and got the following screens.

post-39776-0-79275800-1470749822_thumb.jpg

Couple of zeros on the screen - occurs every time power is cycled.

post-39776-0-53963600-1470749891_thumb.jpg

Did the 2 apple keys CTRL reset and got this.

post-39776-0-21514600-1470749956_thumb.jpg

Got this screen with a copy disk I have - No other disk will give this screen - most spin for a moment and then give a string of characters along the bottom.

I tried seeing what rom version I have but apparently my n key isn't working so no PRINT.

Anyway, I know nothing of these machines - Any Apple help?

I was kind of figuring that it was a memory issue - wanted to run it by experts though.

I believe this is a first issue IIc - so it's probably got many ram chips, right?

Anybody on this forum do IIc repairs?

I don't know if my tired old eyes can do these repairs anymore.

BTW - Thanks for the help!

Exactly. Bummer they saved $0.27 per machine by soldering it in, too.

Oh the real economics of manufacturing

You save about 27 cents per chip without sockets which at what 8 ram chips is about 2.16 dollars a machine

Now sell what Wikipedia says was an average of 100,000 machines a year for four years... and your saving 864,000$ in 4 years ... in 1980's money (we all wish we could do that)

Yea that's worth a few retro grumps fussing about having to buy. 9.99 desoldering iron ~ 30 years later

Yes I do //c repairs usually the hold up is getting parts

Edited by Osgeld

Now sell what Wikipedia says was an average of 100,000 machines a year for four years... and your saving 864,000$ in 4 years ... in 1980's money (we all wish we could do that)

Of course, the other side of the coin is you solder in the sockets for the chips and charge the end user $2.50 more per machine.

Users don't balk at an extra $2.50 on a $1300 machine.

Users/repair places are happy.

Apple pockets about $34k... ;-)

desiv

Edited by desiv
  • Like 1

//c is a non expandable almost sealed machine with a possible 25 year lifespan, why would anyone care back then

also dont forget labor, you have to hand insert sockets they are almost impossible to machine place like chips

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After fumble farting around I got the bad memory chip replaced and the damn thing works. It looks like it is equipped with rom 0. Any tips on mods or whatever on this machine? Also, is there anyway to get programs from the Internet to this computer?

Many thanks again to Osgeld for his offer of help!

Well, I've tried running adtpro on my pc running Windows 98se and looks I don't have Java installed on it. I'm wondering if it will even work on this machine?

No idea. With Windows that old, you might try plain old ADT (not ADTPro). See ADT 2007_2:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/adtpro/files/dos-adt/ADT%202007_2/