IGNORED

"Nintendo issues DMCA notice against that really good Metroid II fan remake

JamesD

"...
A legal firm representing Nintendo of America sent a DMCA copyright claim to Project AM2R, the home of the remake, as well as the Metroid Database fan site, which was hosting it. There was initially some question about the legitimacy of the letter, but Metroid Database said in a follow-up on Facebook that it had been contacted directly by the attorney involved, “and it appears the notice is indeed legitimate.” Download links on both sites have since been removed.
..."

The torrent is still out there but you'll have to search for it.

http://www.pcgamer.com/nintendo-issues-dmca-notice-against-that-really-good-metroid-ii-fan-remake/www.pcgamer.com/the-impressive-fan-remake-of-metroid-ii-is-out-now//

True. But why doesn't Nintendo just hire them and publish the fan game? Do something like Sega did with Sonic Mania?

And reward the IP thief? That doesn't seem like Nintendo's style, or Disney's for that matter. Either of those companies is in a better position to do something like that than "Atari," though.

I'm surprised fans even bother with crap like that when they know what the swift result will be as soon as they try to tell people about it. Seriously, why waste your time and energy when you could just make something new.

This.

• Like 1

They also hit Archive.org for the Nintendo Power volumes.

I noticed this too.....I totally expected it and its kind of pathetic. They've always been this way. It just tells me they consider their IP as widgets, only to be sold and profit from and nothing else. Heavily guarded like Mickey is to Disney. Even EA throws you some free classics and collections from time to time.

There's some days, I want to sell every piece of Nintendo hardware and game I own and just say fuck it, I'm done with them. Never want to see a mushroom again.

And then the NES mini gets announced....

:P

• Like 2

Sorry, but I just don't have any sympathy for these hobbyists at this point. Yes, your work is admirable, but Nintendo's stance on these matters is well-known, and you knew exactly what would happen. I'm not saying you shouldn't have your work seen and known, I'm just saying you chose the path most likely to get you shut down, and if you're smart enough to have done this, you should have been smart enough to see the endgame.

Pissed off about the Nintendo Power thing, though. I really could use a high-quality digital archive of those.

• Like 4

It's Nintendo's right to shut down anything that that uses their IPs without permission.

It may not seem (to us) to be the smartest move, but it's certainly within their legal rights. My biggest issue with taking down the Nintendo Power archive is that Nintendo itself does not offer an alternative from which to source the magazines. It gets old when companies don't offer a way to purchase/utilize their legacy products, but then those same companies get upset when their consumers find ways around that. I highly doubt many people will want to hunt down the vintage copies of this particular magazine just to satisfy their curiosity. The Nintendo Power archive was a GREAT way to keep fueling the nostalgia that in turn fuels Nintendo sales.

Nintendo Power is a great source of information about games, and it was an AMAZING marketing tool. In fact, doing a formal release of the Nintendo Power archive just ahead of the sale date for the NES Mini would be some great marketing as well.

To be honest, I'm surprised Nintendo allows any of use to use the word "Nintendo" in a sentence without their written permission. LOL.

• Like 7

It's Nintendo's right to shut down anything that that uses their IPs without permission.

It may not seem (to us) to be the smartest move, but it's certainly within their legal rights. My biggest issue with taking down the Nintendo Power archive is that Nintendo itself does not offer an alternative from which to source the magazines. It gets old when companies don't offer a way to purchase/utilize their legacy products, but then those same companies get upset when their consumers find ways around that. I highly doubt many people will want to hunt down the vintage copies of this particular magazine just to satisfy their curiosity. The Nintendo Power archive was a GREAT way to keep fueling the nostalgia that in turn fuels Nintendo sales.

Nintendo Power is a great source of information about games, and it was an AMAZING marketing tool. In fact, doing a formal release of the Nintendo Power archive just ahead of the sale date for the NES Mini would be some great marketing as well.

To be honest, I'm surprised Nintendo allows any of use to use the word "Nintendo" in a sentence without their written permission. LOL.

Agreed on all counts. Nintendo has the right to do this, and cannot be faulted for exercising that right. This isn't even a Disney-like move where they're literally re-writing the laws to their own advantage, Nintendo is just playing the game by the rules.

I really wish there were digital versions of Nintendo Power available for sale, though. I'd gladly pay for that. One thing has occurred to me: the magazine often used trademarked characters from other sources, such as Ninja Turtles, Mickey Mouse, and Star Trek. Do they still have the rights to re-print the magazine with that material intact? Or is it a case where they had the right to print it in 1991, so that right continues today? I wish I knew.

• Like 1

I really wish there were digital versions of Nintendo Power available for sale, though. I'd gladly pay for that. One thing has occurred to me: the magazine often used trademarked characters from other sources, such as Ninja Turtles, Mickey Mouse, and Star Trek. Do they still have the rights to re-print the magazine with that material intact? Or is it a case where they had the right to print it in 1991, so that right continues today? I wish I knew.

That's a good question. I want to say the imagery was used to review, preview or discuss those products (games, TV, movies, etc.) and the images were properly acknowledged as copywritten. I can't see having to pay for the right to use the imagery for anything along those lines.

There could be something wrapped up in rights with the authors of the articles. I know TSR got into some hot water publishing all the (at least then) issues of Dragon Magazine on a CD-ROM and the writers didn't get a cut or something like that.

• Like 2

I'm not saying you shouldn't have your work seen and known

I highly doubt anyone would have noticed or cared if this if it simply resembled Metroid II without being a top-to-bottom remake. See Venture Kid for an example. That kind of goodwill is what Nintendo is protecting, as you know.

In fact, doing a formal release of the Nintendo Power archive just ahead of the sale date for the NES Mini would be some great marketing as well.

If I were them, I'd put high quality copies of the relevant articles (if not the entire issues) of the games that are in the Classic NES Mini. Maybe they're planning that.

It's OK to shut down stuff if you're doing it better. Sometimes Nintendo does that. I wish Atari would do that once in a while.

I highly doubt anyone would have noticed or cared if this if it simply resembled Metroid II without being a top-to-bottom remake. See Venture Kid for an example. That kind of goodwill is what Nintendo is protecting, as you know.

You can't even use the typical pirate excuse of "No one's making money on it anymore" when Nintendo is literally selling the game right this second on the 3DS Virtual Console.

• Like 1