IGNORED

"Nintendo issues DMCA notice against that really good Metroid II fan remake

JamesD

Pissed off about the Nintendo Power thing, though. I really could use a high-quality digital archive of those.

I downloaded a couple PDFs before they got pulled and I gotta say those were anything but high quality. I don't understand why someone would go through the trouble of scanning all of those pages only to save it in a low-res format with text that is barely legible and images that look like runny watercolors.

And reward the IP thief?

Yes, in this case, absolutely. The amount of effort and quality that was put into this remake is far beyond remarkable. We're talking commercial-grade quality here. This is something Nintendo could release as-is, on their Virtual Console, without any kind of modification whatsoever(aside from the game's name on the title screen, obviously) and Nintendo fans would absolutely love it.

In Nintendo's place, I would have tried to strike a deal with the guys behind AM2R to have the game properly released on a Nintendo console, be it Wii U, NX, or perhaps even 3DS. This is where AM2R really belongs, IMHO.

• Like 6

Yes, in this case, absolutely. ....

So now the quality of the theft decides .... whatever.

It's true that if big N liked it they could have contacted the guy, but it is their decision, period, no amount of "it was awesome" matters.

IP copyright is all about restricting who can do what and basically without permission of the rights holder whatever you do you're sitting at the side of the road with your pants down .... enough said.

Big N is notorious for going after anyone that touches their IP, they want to control the complete narrative of it, period, there are no grey areas.

Yes, it does. Sorry, but it just does. Also, the word "theft" implies some kind of money was made from this remake, and there wasn't.

This is BS.

If I just came and stole your car, not sell it, just keep it, there's no money "made" if we do not account for your loss, it is still theft, the loss is what counts and not the money made which can be zero.

With IP linked to "stories" the loss is a loss of control, big N wants to control the complete mythology of its characters, and that means each and every appearance they make, including letting them rot for years on end (no matter what the fans think).

And no, breaking the law but being judged on how good it was done after the fact it's just not right and actually invites anyone to steal/copy anything in the "hope" that the fans love it.

• Like 1

Yes, it does. Sorry, but it just does. Also, the word "theft" implies some kind of money was made from this remake, and there wasn't.

Actually theft implies that the original owner has lost what they had. Which still didn't happen anyway.

However the making of money would convert the "copyright infringement" from non-commercial to commercial - which use to imply larger penalties, although every time they update copyright law to make it more punitive, they keep breaking down this separation.

There -are- companies that do what you'd do. Nintendo isn't one of them however, and everybody that does a remake/parody/lets play video/etc by now should know they aren't. Their stance on this is EXTREMELY old. (As in, you can see them mentioning the dos and donts (mostly donts) on how to use their IP to fans in the Spring 1989 issue of the Nintendo Power Flash in Canada.

In short. People should learn to leave Nintendo's IP alone. Nintendo doesn't want their help or free publicity. People should just do something new or find a company that appreciates fans.

• Like 3

Actually theft implies that the original owner has lost what they had. Which still didn't happen anyway.

Given that in order to make the game they had to "copy" the character and/or its semblance and name they did steal its identity which is what the copyright laws are about: who gets to make/use a "copy" (of the character/name in this case) in an authorized way thus without stealing any identity.

In short. People should learn to leave Nintendo's IP alone. Nintendo doesn't want their help or free publicity. People should just do something new or find a company that appreciates fans.

^^^^ well said ^^^^

It is really all that there is to it.

On another note I have a friend tied to VideoGame development, the creative kind of guy, during his search for a publisher for his work he cared mostly about maintaining control of the mythology surrounding the world in which his game took place .... that is to say that the very creative guys are very jealous of their creations in all facets, not just what ended up in the actual game but all connections and background surrounding it.

The main issue with people taking an established franchise character and put their spin on it is rarely one of quality (albeit sometimes it is) but one of ideas ..... the character is already popular and it's easy to ride on that popularity "for free" so to speak. Whether that is a labor of love (like a fan made game) or simply a way to get popular fast (an unauthorized spoof perhaps) or to make a buck out of it is not even the issue.

According to the laws of many countries those characters are the property of their relative copyright holders and that's it, they are their work and you don't have the right to replicate/copy/use them without their authorization, and that stands until they get released in the public domain that is.

However the making of money would convert the "copyright infringement" from non-commercial to commercial - which use to imply larger penalties, although every time they update copyright law to make it more punitive, they keep breaking down this separation.

There -are- companies that do what you'd do. Nintendo isn't one of them however, and everybody that does a remake/parody/lets play video/etc by now should know they aren't. Their stance on this is EXTREMELY old. (As in, you can see them mentioning the dos and donts (mostly donts) on how to use their IP to fans in the Spring 1989 issue of the Nintendo Power Flash in Canada.

It really is pathetic how IP holders have controlled the narrative that copyright infringement is theft. And copyright wasn't supposed to last forever, yet it continues to lengthen. There are many ways to protect one's IP and still allow fans to have their fun. But Nintendo always chooses the worst way possible to protect their assets. Watch the recent Jim Sterling video about emulation (especially the end) and tell me how great Nintendo is.

• Like 1

OH LOOK! Someone has the billions to bully broke creative people! Maybe Nintendo is just mad that it can't do anything about China and it's absent copyright laws, or that they aren't making much (other than free publicity) off of Pokemon GO! I'm about finished with all of these Nintendo worshipers, too! Nintendo made cool characters but I haven't bought much from them since the Wii (remote controlled Gamecube). I don't like how the guy says not to hate on them (paraphrasing) and lick their boots and grovel at them for raising you. SCREW THEM! FOR REALS! I will play a freaking NES or SNES if I want to have a 'Nintendo experience'!

Turn her red and call her Blam-us, make a permanent hot-coffee mod, give it away! The only reason Nintendo is doing this is because it shows how powerful they are and reminds you that you have to go to them for anything that remotely looks like a game from thirty years ago.

MEH!

(I've been watching these NES worshipers recently on YouTube comparing the NES and the Neo-Geo to a husband cheating (with the NG) on his wife (the NES) and I'm sure it's pushed me over the edge!!)

LONG LIVE SEGA!!

LONG LIVE ATARI!!

KICK OUT THE PLUMBER AND DRIVE A FERRARI!!

Edited by Papa

Would you tiresome "copying is not theft" literalists be happier if we used a different word to describe this? The preferred legal term is "infringement," but that seems like it might be difficult for some to understand, despite being described in plain language for children in the FAQ at http://www.copyrightkids.org/

What if we simply called it "trespassing." Nintendo wants the Metroid II remaker to get off their lawn, legally speaking. It's their right to protect it, their claim is supported by international law, they've done the work of promoting and cultivating the Metroid brand for 30 years. The "modder," however well meaning his intentions, has zero business stepping foot on their stuff without an invitation.

• Like 2

Actually he said "modding is trespassing", but you seem a little worked up and mixing what the law says (for better or for worse) and what you think it should be saying (or if it should exist at all).

If we want to talk about "fair use" of a work that is 30Y old and what we would like it to be then of course we may agree that copyright laws extending for freaking forever (I may not live long enough to see copyrights expire on some of my childhood beloved characters) is probably not what their intended use was for.

On the subject of modding I am not even sure if by current laws a simple bug fix would pass, although imho it should be "fair use" if you bought a crippled game and fixed it via mod so you could actually complete it (Impossible Mission on 7800 comes to mind) but I am not sure.

Fan translations are another messy business as they could infringe on distribution rights in other locales as well as raise adaptation concerns (again not saying it's right or wrong, just that it is) [some countries may get severely offended if the material is literally translated or even distributed while in the country of origin the material may be just mildly sarcastic].

Other than that it is what it is, please check what happens in the music and movie industries, can't use clips unless in particular settings, can't subtitle them yourself and distribute that, can't translate them and run your version etc... etc... and again I may not like it but we should be able to agree on what copyright means.

Patron of the Nerdly arts says modding is theft!?!

Actually he said "modding is trespassing"

What, what? If you're talking about be, I didn't say that. It's certainly not what I meant. Note the use of "asshole quotes" when talking about the "modder." :-)

The Metroid II fan remake isn't modding, it's a remake with the same characters and level designs. Modding, to my mind, would be hacking the original ROM so it looks better or plays differently, while still working on GB-compatible hardware (and emulators).

I think it's interesting that the author of Project AM2R says this (which happens to be the same thing I said):

Please, don't hate Nintendo for all of this. It's their legal obligation to protect their IP.

Instead of sending hate mail, get the original M2 from the eShop. Show them that 2D adventure platformers are still a thing people want.

Perhaps we can agree that AM2R is guilty of stealing attention using Nintendo's IP. Without the Metroid name, it's just another Axiom Verge type game, and wouldn't have received much attention at all.

• Like 2

Yeah. Go buy it, ya deadbeats (you can get it with points, too).

It sure would look nicer with a little higher resolution, and some color, though. :D:grin:

69197-Metroid_II_-_Return_of_Samus_(Worl

Sorry, homie. I own it in real life and I'm probably not inclined to buy it again. :)

Of course Nintendo has a right to (and, honestly, has to) protect their IP. I don't think we truly need the self righteousness about the "IP Thief," tho'. Cat should have made this his own Axiom Verge (which is a great game, btw). It does seem a bit odd that something like this gets struck down, but there are hundreds of Super Mario rom hacks out there for the taking, especially in light of Mario Maker... but they have to protect their copyrights and IP.

As far as companies actually benefiting from works like this and bringing in creators, I believe the guy that wrote either Gens or Kega was actually brought in by Sega to write a Genesis emulator for the Dreamcast. I believe the guy that made Bleem! ended up doing something similar with Sony.

I'm surprised fans even bother with crap like that when they know what the swift result will be as soon as they try to tell people about it. Seriously, why waste your time and energy when you could just make something new.

Because that would require a new idea see programming talent and creativity don't always meld in the same mind

Kind of like what's his face in Nintendo he just sketches ideas strums a guitar and then the TEAM of developers makes it into a masterpiece, never hear their name do you

With fan remakes like this its the opposite, the guy in charge is a fool with no imagination and a team of nothing, but may have immense technical talent

Edited by Osgeld

Because that would require a new idea see programming talent and creativity don't always meld in the same mind

Kind of like what's his face in Nintendo he just sketches ideas strums a guitar and then the TEAM of developers makes it into a masterpiece, never hear their name do you

With fan remakes like this its the opposite, the guy in charge is a fool with no imagination and a team of nothing, but may have immense technical talent

:roll:

I finished this game today. It's very well made. IMO it makes Metroid II playable for a modern audience. On original hardware it's unnecessarily frustrating because you can't shoot diagonally and jumping has moon physics. It still has the same problem a lot of GB games had of trapping you in a closet with a boss. But otherwise it belongs right beside the other two GBA Metroid games.

• Like 4

Thankfully they released It before Nintendo took them down but I don't see why some people making shit like this puts up videos of the game before the game is released. I mean 9 times out of 10, the game is gonna get noticed by the big company and they are gonna shut you down and now nobody can play the game. Release the game FIRST that way if it gets taken down the torrent sites will still have a copy :mad:

• Like 1