IGNORED

The SNES/Super Famicom discussion thread!

Most of the music in Donkey Kong Country is great. And I like the ghost house and vanilla dome music in Super Mario World. :)

Of course! I totally agree with you!!! How could I forget the music on the Donkey Kong Country games!?!?! :D :D :D

I LOVE the music in the Donkey Kong games. So atmospheric and relaxing, while also somehow building tension at the same time.

• Like 4

I knew of the tabs being the obvious reason.. but the thought of opening my SNES or trying to remove it seemed a lot more risky to me than just carving out the carts.

It really wasn't until the internet that I read about other people normally taking out the tabs inside and that it was apparently easy, but at that point it we were already in N64, Saturn, and Playstation mode. :P

Fair enough. I didn't have a screw bit, so I very carefully used a soldering iron to melt the plastic and pulled them out with pliers, before sanding them down slightly to be more smooth. I knew about the differences in the cartridges between US and Japan because someone with a US SNES told me about it, and that removing the tabs allowed you to play both without an issue. So it was about the first thing I did when I bought my US SNES, as I knew I'd probably be getting Japanese cartridges at some point. And to begin with, the pass through converters didn't have the extra board slots for StarFox, so it was a wise move (I bought the SFC version of the game!).

I second that Byron. What was I thinking not including the Donkey Kong Country series!! :!: :!: :!:

Must have gone bananas! :lolblue:

Anthony...

I appreciate that pun there Anthony! Anyway, I must of also been crazy not including Donkey Kong Country myself. I love the music in it, a truly great game.

• Like 2

I appreciate that pun there Anthony! Anyway, I must of also been crazy not including Donkey Kong Country myself. I love the music in it, a truly great game.

Haha. Thanks Rhys. :thumbsup:

The most memorable moments for me Rhys, was in Donkey Kong Country 1, when Donkey Kong and Diddy were in the swimming stages and thought the composers did a marvelous job with the music. But I use to question why where they swimming in toxic water? Nothing relaxing and soothing about that! :lolblue:

The next was the crystal mines with the excellent backgrounds and perfect tunes with the sound effects that made that their highlight of the game for myself. Still to this day their crowning achievement that showed the beauty of what the Super NES as to offer!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 2

I second that Byron. What was I thinking not including the Donkey Kong Country series!! :!: :!: :!:

Must have gone bananas! :lolblue:

Anthony...

It seems like I wasn't the only one who forgot about DKC then! Haha!!! :D And, Anthony, I agree with Rhys. That pun was awesome! ;)

• Like 2

Haha. Thanks Rhys. :thumbsup:

The most memorable moments for me Rhys, was in Donkey Kong Country 1, when Donkey Kong and Diddy were in the swimming stages and thought the composers did a marvelous job with the music. But I use to question why where they swimming in toxic water? Nothing relaxing and soothing about that! :lolblue:

The next was the crystal mines with the excellent backgrounds and perfect tunes with the sound effects that made that their highlight of the game for myself. Still to this day their crowning achievement that showed the beauty of what the Super NES as to offer!

Anthony...

I am much more familiar with Donkey Kong Country 2, as that is the one I had as a child. The variety of music in the game makes each area so unique to play in, as well as the brilliantly designed levels.

• Like 1

It seems like I wasn't the only one who forgot about DKC then! Haha!!! :D And, Anthony, I agree with Rhys. That pun was awesome! ;)

Hahaha. Thanks Byron.

I guess I should join English comedian John Clesse and become a comedy writer and do hilarious one liners on stage! :rolling:

Anthony...

• Like 1

I am much more familiar with Donkey Kong Country 2, as that is the one I had as a child. The variety of music in the game makes each area so unique to play in, as well as the brilliantly designed levels.

No argument here Rhys. Outstanding to say the least on what you mentioned! :)

Anthony...

• Like 1

No argument here Rhys. Outstanding to say the least on what you mentioned! :)

Anthony...

Thanks very much!

Not sure if I've mentioned this, but another piece of music I love is that from Taz-Mania, the obscure game I showcased earlier on this thread. That music was really catchy, and suited a Loony Tunes game really well.

• Like 1

My favorite SNES games for music:

Super Castlevania IV

Castlevania: Dracula X

UN Squadron

Super Ghouls and Ghosts (there, I mentioned it!)

Final Fantasy II (IV)

Final Fantasy III (VI)

F-Zero

Zelda III

Super Metroid

Donkey Kong Country

And my all time favorite: Chrono Trigger.

• Like 1

A cross post from another forum:

Happy B-Day, SNES!

I bought a SNES on 'launch day' in late August 1991 from TRU, the first and only console I've ever had the day of release.

There was a cool mom and pop rental place that had imported SFCs for the year prior, so I had already had my mind blown by Super Mario World, F-Zero, and even Final Fight.

The funny thing is, before SFC was announced, I was drifting towards becoming a huge FEKA Genesis wanna-be fan, and I pined for that system.

The launch window for SNES was possibly the best of any system ever, between launch and Christmas the following games came out:

Super Mario World
ActRaiser
Sim City
F-Zero
UN Squadron
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Final Fantasy II (IV)

Now you're playing with power, SUPER POWER!

• Like 1

It's weird that nobody mentioned Súper Ghouls 'n Ghost OST,listen to the snow stage. My godness.

My favorite SNES games for music:

Super Castlevania IV

Castlevania: Dracula X

UN Squadron

Super Ghouls and Ghosts (there, I mentioned it!)

Final Fantasy II (IV)

Final Fantasy III (VI)

F-Zero

Zelda III

Super Metroid

Donkey Kong Country

And my all time favorite: Chrono Trigger.

A cross post from another forum:

Happy B-Day, SNES!

I bought a SNES on 'launch day' in late August 1991 from TRU, the first and only console I've ever had the day of release.

There was a cool mom and pop rental place that had imported SFCs for the year prior, so I had already had my mind blown by Super Mario World, F-Zero, and even Final Fight.

The funny thing is, before SFC was announced, I was drifting towards becoming a huge FEKA Genesis wanna-be fan, and I pined for that system.

The launch window for SNES was possibly the best of any system ever, between launch and Christmas the following games came out:

Super Mario World

ActRaiser

Sim City

F-Zero

UN Squadron

Super Castlevania IV

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts

Final Fantasy II (IV)

Now you're playing with power, SUPER POWER!

There are so many trends here. Well deserved trends, as the music in all those games are great. I love Sim City's soundtrack: so soothing.

• Like 1

All the talk about SNES music ended up with me getting the Red Wings of Baron music stuck in my head, so I started playing through Final Fantasy II (IV) yesterday via emulation on my Sony Xperia Play. :P The ROM I'm using is actually the Japanese version that was re-translated to English, so there are some differences from the SNES game. I've started this one about 10 times but never finished. This time I'm determined to finish it!

After that, next on the list is Final Fantasy III (VI). Same deal, started it a handful of times but never finished it.

• Like 1

Finally got around to taking a couple of shots of my US SNES games...

US_SNES1_zpstxzurkad.jpg

US_SNES2_zpsrc0ql8oo.jpg

That's an absolutely awesome collection you've got there Mayhem! So many classics of the SNES era right there. I see my personal favourite, Mega Man X there. Thanks for sharing that with us!

All the talk about SNES music ended up with me getting the Red Wings of Baron music stuck in my head, so I started playing through Final Fantasy II (IV) yesterday via emulation on my Sony Xperia Play. :P The ROM I'm using is actually the Japanese version that was re-translated to English, so there are some differences from the SNES game. I've started this one about 10 times but never finished. This time I'm determined to finish it!

After that, next on the list is Final Fantasy III (VI). Same deal, started it a handful of times but never finished it.

I understand the habit of never finishing games. I did that a lot as a kid. Good luck finishing both Final Fantasy II and III, should be pretty cool to do!

• Like 1

Absolutely! Gotta love John Cleese! :D

Who doesn't love him? I can see it now: Anthony, the NEO GEO comedy man!

On a more SNES related note, I would like to ask another question, to re-ignite this thread into action!

With talk of the new NES Classic Mini, would you guys like to see that sort of Console for the SNES, and what games would you like for it?

I would love games that I've always wanted to play, but were either too rare or too expensive for me to get. Games like Super Metroid, Crono Trigger, others like that. Then, we could have a collection of Mario games, such as Super Mario World (1 and 2), and maybe Super Mario Kart? I'm randomly thinking here, would love to see your suggestions!

• Like 1

Who doesn't love him? I can see it now: Anthony, the NEO GEO comedy man!

On a more SNES related note, I would like to ask another question, to re-ignite this thread into action!

With talk of the new NES Classic Mini, would you guys like to see that sort of Console for the SNES, and what games would you like for it?

I would love games that I've always wanted to play, but were either too rare or too expensive for me to get. Games like Super Metroid, Crono Trigger, others like that. Then, we could have a collection of Mario games, such as Super Mario World (1 and 2), and maybe Super Mario Kart? I'm randomly thinking here, would love to see your suggestions!

Why buy an emulator? When you could have the real thing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-Super-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-SNES-CONSOLE-ONLY-Cleaned-Tested-/162182888436?hash=item25c2da7bf4:g:t0UAAOSwH3NXmnuz

• Like 1

I actually own a SNES myself. If I were to buy an emulator like that, it would be for the games on it. If I were to buy every cartridge for every SNES game I wanted to own, it would be way too expensive for me to do. Buying an official emulation console is the next best thing.

So now I've posted up photos of what I have, what do you think I'm missing? I know I should really have a copy of Super Punch Out, but that's the only thing springing to mind.

Super Punch Out is great, but I can't think of any you're missing, besides obscure SNES games. If we were to list those, though, we'd be here all day. Besides, the obscure games tend to also be expensive.