IGNORED

The SNES/Super Famicom discussion thread!

Worst game for me was Power Moves.. made even worse by the fact that I think I payed a large amount.. maybe $60 but it could have been $75. Yeah they were price-gouging because of Street Fighter 2 mania and I fell for it hook line and sinker :lol: Looking at it now, it's not SO bad, but it sure felt that way back then.

Pit Fighter was actually a worse game, but I only rented that so it stung a lot less. :P

That's quite the price to pay for a game like that. Nothing as bad as buying an expensive game then discovering that it's terrible.

Space Ace. So bad, I cried. Like actually shed tears.

Is it the SNES port of that Dragon's Lair style game? It doesn't look all that good.

Getting back to the Nigel racing game. I was watching a vs consoles video yesterday and came across one for this game. Listening to that engine wale on the SNES version really made me want to play it. I love the sense of speed in it.

That does look like a really cool racing game. I do love racing games in general, and that seems like a great one.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So just wanted to say I finally got the SD2SNES and it is friggin fantastic. I've been playing SNES up the wazoo :lol:

Kinda funny though so far I'm ending playing games I already have. e.g. I could always get my Actraiser or Chrono Trigger cart, but there's just something about having it all conveniently on one cartridge and swapping games with a simple reset on the console.. (especially now that the hardware is getting a little more fragile). It's great. Yeah we've all had this ability to play any game via emulation, but to play on a real SNES on a real CRT tv.. it's the way these games were meant to be. I friggin love it. :)

• Like 2

My neighbor, Bill, got an SNES shortly after they were released in 1991 (I was 16). They were $200 at that time, and included two controllers, A/V cables, an RF switch, AC adapter, and a Super Mario World cartridge. The $99 bundle with 1 controller, no pack-in game, and no A/V cables hadn't been released yet, though I bought one of those on the same day that I first saw a Toys "R" Us ad for it in a flyer.

The first time I played it at my neighbor's house in January 1992, I was quite impressed with Super Mario World, though I only played it briefly. The next day I decided to rent an SNES game. There wasn't much of a selection, and the only one that looked interesting was Super Castlevania IV. I had heard of the Castlevania series, but I'd never played any of them before.

I didn't even check with Bill before renting the game, but when I showed up (at about 4 o'clock in the afternoon on a Saturday) he was up for it. He had Castlevania for the NES and was interested in playing the SNES version. We took turns playing, and were quickly drawn into the game. We played until after midnight, Bill even deciding to call the Nintendo Hotline at one point when we got stuck. I slept on his couch and the next morning we were at it again, with his wife and her kids as spectators. It was getting close to 6 PM when the game had to be returned, and we were at Dracula, the final boss. With about 10 minutes to go before I had to head to the rental store to avoid a late fee, Bill gave up. I walked over to turn off the SNES, but stopped, and decided to give it one last try. I beat Dracula on that last try, and there were cheers from Mary and her kids who had been watching all day hoping to see the game beaten. Bill was a little sore about it, because it had turned into a competition between us; he wanted to be the one to beat the game.

I made it back to the video rental place with about 30 seconds to spare according to their clock.

To this day, Super Castlevania IV is one of my all-time favorite console games. It was my favorite until I discovered Super Metroid about 10 years ago. I've since tried other Castlevania games on the NES, Genesis, Playstation, and N64, and I don't care for any of them, with the N64 one being the worst, by far.

• Like 2

So just wanted to say I finally got the SD2SNES and it is friggin fantastic. I've been playing SNES up the wazoo :lol:

Kinda funny though so far I'm ending playing games I already have. e.g. I could always get my Actraiser or Chrono Trigger cart, but there's just something about having it all conveniently on one cartridge and swapping games with a simple reset on the console.. (especially now that the hardware is getting a little more fragile). It's great. Yeah we've all had this ability to play any game via emulation, but to play on a real SNES on a real CRT tv.. it's the way these games were meant to be. I friggin love it. :)

Try the Chrono Trigger MSU1 hack. It's pretty amazing.

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

Because its one of my favorite systems of all time, I have been delving deep into the games on the SNES. My daughter is a huge fan of the Beat Em Ups, and we have settled on playing Final Fight 2. The graphics in my mind are as good as the Neo Geo (but I am biased) When I bought the system in 1993, I only had about 12-15 cartridges. Prince of Persia blew me away at the time, and a friend and I finished the game in a week. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of RPG, Simulation, or Sports games, but I really love the 2D run to the right platformers. Here is my list of exceptional games for the system.

3 Ninjas Kick Back
Adventures of Kid Kleets, The
Aero the Acro-Bat 2
Aero the Acro-Bat
Aladdin
Alien 3
American Tail, An - Fievel Goes West
Animaniacs
Ardy Lightfoot
Arkanoid - Doh It Again
A.S.P. Air Strike Patrol
Batman - Revenge of the Joker
Beauty and the Beast
Big Sky Trooper
Biker Mice From Mars
Blackthorne
Blues Brothers, The
Bobby's World
B.O.B.
Bonkers
Boogerman - A Pick and Flick Adventure
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Bubsy II
Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind
Bugs Bunny - Rabbit Rampage
Bust-A-Move
Castlevania - Dracula X
Chester Cheetah - Wild Wild Quest
Chuck Rock
Claymates
Congo's Caper
Contra III - The Alien Wars
Cybernator
Daffy Duck - The Marvin Missions
Demon's Crest
Dennis the Menace
Dino City
Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest
Donkey Kong Country 3 - Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
Donkey Kong Country - Competition Cartridge
Donkey Kong Country
Earthworm Jim 2
Earthworm Jim
Fire Striker
Flintstones, The - The Treasure of Sierra Madrock
Flintstones, The
Ghoul Patrol
Gods
Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey & Minnie, The
Hagane
Harley's Humongous Adventure
Home Improvement
Hook
Hurricanes, The
Incantation
Incredible Crash Dummies, The
Incredible Hulk, The
Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures
Inspector Gadget
James Bond Jr
Jetsons, The - Invasion of the Planet Pirates
Jim Power - The Lost Dimension in 3D
Joe & Mac 2 - Lost in the Tropics
Joe & Mac
Judge Dredd
Jungle Book, The
Jurassic Park Part 2 - The Chaos Continues
Jurassic Park
Kid Klown in Crazy Chase
Lester the Unlikely
Lethal Weapon
Lion King, The
Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse, The
Magic Boy
Mask, The
Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow
Mega Man VII
Mega Man X 2
Mega Man X 3
Mega Man X
Metal Morph
Mickey Mania
Mighty Max
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - The Fighting Edition
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - The Movie
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
MoHawk & Headphone Jack
Monopoly
Mr. Nutz
Musya
Mutant Chronicles - Doom Troopers
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
On the Ball
Operation Logic Bomb
Oscar
Out to Lunch
Pebble Beach Golf Links
Phantom 2040
Pinocchio
Pitfall - The Mayan Adventure
Plok!
Populous
Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday
Power Piggs of the Dark Age
Prehistorik Man
Prince of Persia
Radical Rex
Realm
Road Runner's Death Valley Rally
Robocop Versus The Terminator
Rock N' Roll Racing
Rocky Rodent
Run Saber
Secret of Evermore
Shanghai II - Dragon's Eye
Sink or Swim
Sky Blazer
Soldiers of Fortune
Spanky's Quest
Sparkster
Speedy Gonzales - Los Gatos Bandidos
Spider-Man and the X-Men in Arcade's Revenge
Spider-Man & Venom - Separation Anxiety
Star Trek - Deep Space Nine - Crossroads of Time
Super Adventure Island II
Super Adventure Island
Super Alfred Chicken
Super Aquatic Games, The
Super Bonk
Super Buster Bros.
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts
Super James Pond
Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Off Road - The Baja
Super Off Road
Super Smash T.V.
Super Turrican 2
Super Turrican
Super Valis IV
Super Widget
TimeSlip
Time Trax
Top Gear 2
Top Gear
Total Carnage
Universal Soldier
Waialae Country Club
Whizz
Wolf Child
Wolverine - Adamantium Rage
Xardion
X-Kaliber 2097
Yogi Bear
Young Merlin
Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Zool
Zoop

Edited by airsoftmodels
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I was on CL today and saw this post. It really pissed me off that

someone was passing off a clone machine as a SNES.

attachicon.gifScreenshot at 2017-04-03 15-31-11.png

True, buy DK will go for $45 alone, So its not like they're profiting from the deception. Seems more like an honest mistake.

• Like 1

DK is up to $45?? I just checked ebay and it's flat at $20 and while I haven't looked in a year it was still like $15-20 then too. The worst of them is DKC3 which I think still rolls around $25-30. I only know as I wanted to price DKC3 as I found it boxed later last year locally. :) THat clone though goes for more than $20 new so it's not a real ripoff either but it is deceitful to a point not telling a fool who doesn't read it's a clone I suppose.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

There is a Super Famicom game that I have played and I don't know the name... I wanted the ROM but I can't find without the name. (I haven't seen this game in SNES)

The game: it's coop strategy

2 children with magical wands

There are monsters as foes

They can dig using their magic, the monsters fall into the hole and are covered. This is the only way to destroy them.

If a kid falls into the hole he/she dies too

The kids can pull each other up with their magic wands

They have to collect items in the map to open the exit

There are many different stages and world's with different objects to collect and monsters

In the beginning they enter running in a horizontal scenario.

This is all I remember.

There's 2 Super Famicom games that I fell in love with, both quite pricey. They are Psycho Dream, from the makers of Valis, and Ghost Sweeper Mikami (based off an anime), both excellent platformers, GSM has an awesome soundtrack, Psycho Dream has a pretty decent soundtrack, though not on the level of GSM.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow that Ghost Sweeper Mikami looks strangely fun for a licensed title and I somehow missed it when I had a good supply of SFC games in the back half of the 90s.  I did like the mainstream anime stuff, shooters, and other things, even the oddball ones like Zenki so this would have been a fit, and you're right the music is pretty solid quality on those samples.

On 10/29/2019 at 10:59 PM, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Nice videos... when is Super Aleste/Space Megaforce going to be covered? It's the best SFC/SNES shmup in my opinion. And yes I do have it.

superaleste.thumb.jpg.7d7de5f10506b3106f3e84020dfb8119.jpg

When I was in a collectard mode, and before I had a SD2SNES, I bought a Super Famicom just so I could play Super Aleste, R-Type III, and Axelay (each a pittance compared to the NA versions).

On 8/29/2016 at 4:29 PM, keepdreamin said:

Any 1Chip should be good. The original '95 and earlier SNES isn't bad by any means. but if you've got other systems like a Genesis for example, you'll definitely notice the picture is a bit softer on the SNES by comparison. Kind of looks like someone touched up the image in photoshop with the smudge tool a bit. Setting the framemeister sharpness to 1 helps a bit.

Identical framemeister settings for both:

Original SNES:

post-45470-0-18369400-1472502380_thumb.jpg

RGB Restored Mini (1CHIP)

post-45470-0-42757200-1472502357_thumb.jpg

I did the same thing. I compared 3 super Nintendo's, an early, a mid and a 1-chip 02.... I posted it on Twitter...

You can see the difference... 

On 10/22/2019 at 10:42 AM, Tanooki said:

Wow that Ghost Sweeper Mikami looks strangely fun for a licensed title and I somehow missed it when I had a good supply of SFC games in the back half of the 90s.  I did like the mainstream anime stuff, shooters, and other things, even the oddball ones like Zenki so this would have been a fit, and you're right the music is pretty solid quality on those samples.

It remains what I like to call my white whale (argh I must be Captain Ahab then), it never goes for the price I want loose (under $40, save for copies from Japan, though it goes for $100+ there too). I have seen it a couple few times go around $40, but it's never when I have extra money to hit the Bay for. And yes, it is an extremely fun game, and that soundtrack rocks from game start, to game end.

• Like 1