IGNORED

The SNES/Super Famicom discussion thread!

Probably my favourite console of all time. Thankfully I bought most of the good games back in the day or in the late 90s/early 2000s, and thus before the prices went stupid. I considered paying $85 for CIB Earthbound a bit of an extravagance heh.

Probably my favourite console of all time. Thankfully I bought most of the good games back in the day or in the late 90s/early 2000s, and thus before the prices went stupid. I considered paying $85 for CIB Earthbound a bit of an extravagance heh.

Every page of this thread needs to have "Just get an SD2SNES" for any newcomers asking about collecting.

I feel as if the prices of the cartridges will become a recurring theme in this thread...

It's unfortunate. One of the more well loved systems of that age is probably one of the more sought after.

All of us here clearly love it but hate how much it costs to buy in so we're all bitter about it? Lol

For me, it's less bitterness and more sadness, knowing that there will be a lot of games I want to play that I may never be able to. Unless Nintendo release an emulation console, like their doing with the NES (which, to be honest, I would totally be down for).

I bought most of my collection BITD or when prices were really low (early 2000s). That puts me in a weird spot where a flashcart may or may not be worthwhile for the games I have left on my list. Assuming I didn't go RPG-heavy, that is

I also did the same for some of the lesser-known games in my collection, bought them in the early 2000's. There was a market near me, where one of the stalls sold a small amount of SNES games, and I got one every once in a while. Sadly, it hasn't been there for years.

For me, it's less bitterness and more sadness, knowing that there will be a lot of games I want to play that I may never be able to. Unless Nintendo release an emulation console, like their doing with the NES (which, to be honest, I would totally be down for).

I also did the same for some of the lesser-known games in my collection, bought them in the early 2000's. There was a market near me, where one of the stalls sold a small amount of SNES games, and I got one every once in a while. Sadly, it hasn't been there for years.

JUST GET AN SD2SNES.

The SNES is my favorite system. It was the first one I bought with my own money. I bought a lot off my friend in Christmas of 1996. I still have the system and games and will never get rid of them. I've bought and sold and bought again several systems but the SNES is special to me. I now own an original, mini, and Supa Boy with around 100 games plus SD2SNES.

My favorite game would be extremely hard to narrow down. I have the most nostalgia for DKC and it's still an excellent game today. I probably have the most time invested with SIM City though. Then of course there is Killer Instinct, Star Fox 1 and 2, F zero, Chrono Trigger, Pilotwings......I could keep going.

Also SF Alpha 2 is a great game. Looking back it would have been awesome if they could have used more memory in the cart and not have to use the S-DD1 chip and instead used maybe a FX chip for better graphics. It's possible to get rid of the load times now a days with a SD2SNES cart if someone with the know how modifies the game. Someone already modified Star Ocean to not need the chip.

• Like 3

JUST GET AN SD2SNES.

The SD2SNES may be useful, and worth reminding people of, but I would prefer if the posts on this forum were more than just 'this exists'. We are here to discuss the SNES, and the fact that the cartridges are expensive to buy is a key part of modern SNES collecting, and many people just like the feeling of owning the original cartridges, and have some dislike of unofficial emulation in general.

The SNES is my favorite system. It was the first one I bought with my own money. I bought a lot off my friend in Christmas of 1996. I still have the system and games and will never get rid of them. I've bought and sold and bought again several systems but the SNES is special to me. I now own an original, mini, and Supa Boy with around 100 games plus SD2SNES.

My favorite game would be extremely hard to narrow down. I have the most nostalgia for DKC and it's still an excellent game today. I probably have the most time invested with SIM City though. Then of course there is Killer Instinct, Star Fox 1 and 2, F zero, Chrono Trigger, Pilotwings......I could keep going.

Also SF Alpha 2 is a great game. Looking back it would have been awesome if they could have used more memory in the cart and not have to use the S-DD1 chip and instead used maybe a FX chip for better graphics. It's possible to get rid of the load times now a days with a SD2SNES cart if someone with the know how modifies the game. Someone already modified Star Ocean to not need the chip.

I agree completely with your choices. Sim City, even today, is a great city builder, and laid the foundations for the genre in general. And, yes, it would of been cool if an FX chip was used for SF Alpha 2. With so many mentions of the SD2SNES, I may look into it, as it seems like a very good addition to any SNES fan's collection!

• Like 1

The SD2SNES may be useful, and worth reminding people of, but I would prefer if the posts on this forum were more than just 'this exists'. We are here to discuss the SNES, and the fact that the cartridges are expensive to buy is a key part of modern SNES collecting, and many people just like the feeling of owning the original cartridges, and have some dislike of unofficial emulation in general.

The moment you start lamenting not being able to play certain games and won't use emulation JUST GET AN SD2SNES is the correct answer.

If "the feeling of owning the original carts" matters to you more than playing the games, you're a collectard and would be more comfortable at nintendoage.com.

I like hunting and finding games on the cheap, but the SD2SNES, Everdrive, etc. are really cool. Game prices are stupidly insane right now, and if you want to play games on the original hardware, this is the way to go unless you are independently wealthy or feel like selling your body parts.

For example, I have Demon's Crest in my collection. I bought it about 7-8 years ago at a shop somewhere for $9.99, and last I checked, it was hovering around $100 loose. It's a good game, but it's not THAT good. If I was just getting into the SNES now, I'd just get a SD cart and be done with it.

Edited by Silverfleet
  • Like 1

The moment you start lamenting not being able to play certain games and won't use emulation JUST GET AN SD2SNES is the correct answer.

If "the feeling of owning the original carts" matters to you more than playing the games, you're a collectard and would be more comfortable at nintendoage.com.

Everyone is welcome on the Atariage forums, no matter what hardware or software we own. What unites us in this specific thread is our love of the SNES, and I really don't want what connects us to end up creating a huge gulf in the community.

It is. I still prefer actual carts but it's nice to try games before you buy them. It can be updated to too add more features like game saves, game genie, and more compatibility. Adding CD quality music in games is also a huge bonus. It's a really impressive piece of hardware.

I like hunting and finding games on the cheap, but the SD2SNES, Everdrive, etc. are really cool. Game prices are stupidly insane right now, and if you want to play games on the original hardware, this is the way to go unless you are independently wealthy or feel like selling your body parts.

For example, I have Demon's Crest in my collection. I bought it about 7-8 years ago at a shop somewhere for $9.99, and last I checked, it was hovering around $100 loose. It's a good game, but it's not THAT good. If I was just getting into the SNES now, I'd just get a SD cart and be done with it.

I really am starting to like the sound of the SD2SNES the more I hear about it! I did listen to some CD-quality Mega Man X songs, and they were really impressive. The sound of a one-time investment for multiple games really entices me. Thanks to you all for pointing me in it's direction!

Another game that I've been playing the crap out of lately is Extra Innings. I'm a sucker for a good, easy to pick up and play baseball game, and this is a pretty good one. It's a re-skin of a Super Famicom baseball game (Hakunetsu Pro Yakyuu Ganba League) and it's pretty fun. It reminds me a lot of the much later MLB Power Pros for the PS2/Wii (part of the same series maybe?), but minus the RPG elements. The fielding can be a PITA, as everyone moves at the same time VERY slowly, but the batting and presentation is great. Even the music is decent! I would consider it to be a bargain bin hidden gem.

hqdefault.jpg

extra-innings-04.png

extra-innings-06.png

ExtraInnings015.png

• Like 2

I dunno why I wanted a SNES back in the day... Just seemed like the console to have. I finally got my own like 8 years ago when a friend sold me one.

It was a really nice one that he modded a blue light on. He even did a really fancy method to remove the internal tabs (think he heated a blade and cut them off so they looked nicer).

He even sold me my copies of X2 and X3. Think I paid $80 for both of them?

That friend killed himself a few years back though... And that SNES is easily one of my more cherished pieces in my collection.

I have a lot of titles for it, and many came through that friend.

Beyond that friendship, I've just always wanted a SNES and remember many fond times before ownership and after ownership.

Super Mario World with cousins, Mega Man X with a good friend, or learning about new classics for me through Earthbound or other RPGs. I bought a CIB copy of Final Fantasy 2 (4) with only mild cosmetic damage that was MAYBE played once for $26.

I understand the want or need to want the carts. Hell, I was there just a year ago, but I finally decided it wasn't worth the slowly increasing cost. That and with less time and funding for games, I figured the flashcart would be a good investment.

Who knows? I might still buy a cart here and there because they are pretty cool to have and just feels better than a flashcart. However, I'm not going to spend $70+ on any single titles.

Overall, it's my favorite game console. The only close comparison is my PS1 but for differing and equal reasons.

As nobody might ever say....

SNES IS LIFE. SNES IS LOVE.

So let's just agree that we have differing ways to play or collect for SNES and focus on the love for great titles.

• Like 3

Another game that I've been playing the crap out of lately is Extra Innings. I'm a sucker for a good, easy to pick up and play baseball game, and this is a pretty good one. It's a re-skin of a Super Famicom baseball game (Hakunetsu Pro Yakyuu Ganba League) and it's pretty fun. It reminds me a lot of the much later MLB Power Pros for the PS2/Wii (part of the same series maybe?), but minus the RPG elements. The fielding can be a PITA, as everyone moves at the same time VERY slowly, but the batting and presentation is great. Even the music is decent! I would consider it to be a bargain bin hidden gem.

hqdefault.jpg

extra-innings-04.png

extra-innings-06.png

ExtraInnings015.png

I also like a good sports game, and that looks to be a pretty good one! One of the sports games I have is a copy of FIFA. While I'm not the biggest fan of football games anymore, that game was still pretty cool to play.

I dunno why I wanted a SNES back in the day... Just seemed like the console to have. I finally got my own like 8 years ago when a friend sold me one.

It was a really nice one that he modded a blue light on. He even did a really fancy method to remove the internal tabs (think he heated a blade and cut them off so they looked nicer).

He even sold me my copies of X2 and X3. Think I paid $80 for both of them?

That friend killed himself a few years back though... And that SNES is easily one of my more cherished pieces in my collection.

I have a lot of titles for it, and many came through that friend.

Beyond that friendship, I've just always wanted a SNES and remember many fond times before ownership and after ownership.

Super Mario World with cousins, Mega Man X with a good friend, or learning about new classics for me through Earthbound or other RPGs. I bought a CIB copy of Final Fantasy 2 (4) with only mild cosmetic damage that was MAYBE played once for $26.

I understand the want or need to want the carts. Hell, I was there just a year ago, but I finally decided it wasn't worth the slowly increasing cost. That and with less time and funding for games, I figured the flashcart would be a good investment.

Who knows? I might still buy a cart here and there because they are pretty cool to have and just feels better than a flashcart. However, I'm not going to spend $70+ on any single titles.

Overall, it's my favorite game console. The only close comparison is my PS1 but for differing and equal reasons.

As nobody might ever say....

SNES IS LIFE. SNES IS LOVE.

So let's just agree that we have differing ways to play or collect for SNES and focus on the love for great titles.

A custom blue light? That may seem minor, but I love those little details on a console, it sounds cool!

The SNES was, and always will be, a great console to many people for differing reasons. Whether we emulate, collect cartridges, play Super Mario Kart for some multiplayer action, or lose ourselves in an RPG for hours on end, we all love the console, and that's why we're here!

I also imagine that, in terms of being a hunting grounds, Tuttle isn't better than OKC.

I also imagine that, in terms of being a hunting grounds, Tuttle isn't better than OKC.

The only way I could find retro games in Tuttle, OK is if I were to rob them from people's houses, but that would require breaking in and searching them.

Odds are not in my favor for finding very much unless someone in town is a secret vintage game hoarder or a random old person that has them in their attic.

Edited by KeeperofLindblum
  • Like 1

The only way I could find retro games in Tuttle, OK is if I were to rob them from people's houses, but that would require breaking in and searching them.

Odds are not in my favor for finding very much unless someone in town is a secret vintage game hoarder or a random old person that has them in their attic.

Try being in a small British town. As the SNES didn't sell as well here as it did in the U.S, the cartridges are very pricey and small in quantity.

• Like 1

post-40273-0-73648900-1471052103_thumb.jpeg

Im all about the SNES co-op games. Pocky and Rocky, King of Dragons, Goof Troop. And they say Run Sabre is a poor mans Strider, nope 2 player masterpiece for sure. Plus better versions of Sunset Riders and Doom Troopers.

I think 16 bit was the perfect place between simplistic games before and bloated games after.

Edited by Dashopepper
  • Like 3

Hi guys,

Today, I took out Uniracers (Unirally for PAL units) for the SNES. What a great game with a fantastic soundtrack. The music really pumps you up to get ready for some high speed racing action. Really a fun title and worth in your collection.

Uniracers_boxart.png

51462_front.jpg

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 2

I thought I'd taken some shots of my US games, but evidently not. So here's a couple of shots of my SFC titles. You can play "guess the game" for the ones you can't make out fully from the end flaps heh.

SFC1_zps6bbzntnz.jpg

SFC2_zpsqsw3dpix.jpg

Try being in a small British town. As the SNES didn't sell as well here as it did in the U.S, the cartridges are very pricey and small in quantity.

I'm in the UK as well, and I was importing! Just think about that in pre-internet days heh. Printed mail order catalogues, local sellers importing games for you and charging substantial markups, doing business by cheque or giving your credit card details over the phone... fun times heh.

• Like 2

attachicon.gif image.jpeg

Im all about the SNES co-op games. Pocky and Rocky, King of Dragons, Goof Troop. And they say Run Sabre is a poor mans Strider, nope 2 player masterpiece for sure. Plus better versions of Sunset Riders and Doom Troopers.

I think 16 bit was the perfect place between simplistic games before and bloated games after.

I agree with the 16-bit era bridging the gap between simplistic games and complex games, because, afterwards, games took a lot more effort to complete. Not that that's a bad thing; I love a good long campaign in a game, but the SNES was the perfect pick-up-and-play console.

Hi guys,

Today, I took out Uniracers (Unirally for PAL units) for the SNES. What a great game with a fantastic soundtrack. The music really pumps you up to get ready for some high speed racing action. Really a fun title and worth in your collection.

Uniracers_boxart.png

51462_front.jpg

Anthony...

I've never heard of that game before. After looking at some of the gameplay, it certainly looks unlike a lot of other racing games! And that soundtrack did sound fantastic. Thanks for sharing, Anthony!

I thought I'd taken some shots of my US games, but evidently not. So here's a couple of shots of my SFC titles. You can play "guess the game" for the ones you can't make out fully from the end flaps heh.

SFC1_zps6bbzntnz.jpg

SFC2_zpsqsw3dpix.jpg

I'm in the UK as well, and I was importing! Just think about that in pre-internet days heh. Printed mail order catalogues, local sellers importing games for you and charging substantial markups, doing business by cheque or giving your credit card details over the phone... fun times heh.

That's a lovely collection you have there Mayhem, I'm surprised you managed to keep all the boxes! None of my games have them now, unfortunately.

I used to get many of my games from the market, where this guy was selling 2nd-hand cartridges for about 10 to 15 pounds. I remember a weird platformer called B.O.B

bob.jpg

It was a linear platformer, and involved tricky jumps and difficult enemies. I like the game, but I could never get far with it.

B.O.B_snes.png

Weirdly enough, this game was published by Electronic Arts. This was before EA became the gaming juggernaut we know it to be, so had a few more experimental games in it's library. If you like odd, hard platformers, you could do a lot worse.

• Like 1

I'll never forget the day my little brother and I convinced our parents to let us combine our birthdays for extra spending power so we could get an SNES. My little brother was so sick that day that he couldn't even play it. Years later, its still one of my favorite systems to play.

I've just finished YS V for the system actually! My thoughts on the game are below. I'm trying to decide what I want to play next.

Edited by mmertes
  • Like 1