IGNORED

The SNES/Super Famicom discussion thread!

Has anybody here played this game called Pac in Time? From what I have played of it, it's a fairly odd yet interesting platformer with some unique mechanics. It may not be a maze game but it is a Pacman title that goes under the radar and probably deserves more attention in my opinion. :)

attachicon.gifPac-In-Time SNES.png

attachicon.gifPac-In-Time SNES 2.png

I remember you showing me this game a little while ago. I played it, and it certainly is an interesting take on how to turn Pacman into a platformer. It is a bit weird, but a pleasant, obscure platformer.

• Like 1

Hi Byron,

Yes, I remember playing this game and played it plenty of times when it was available. I use to rent it at a Blockbuster Video back in the mid 1990's.

Its a fun title that the graphics were pretty good for my standards. But it really became much harder as you progressed onto the levels/ Overall, its a worthy pickup in your collection no doubt! :)

Anthony...

Well said, Anthony! And yes, it's not an easy game. That's for sure! Haha! :D :D :D

Edited by Byron's Reviews
  • Like 1

A Pac-Man platformer existed in 1984.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sRiFoJMNTU

Oh, yeah, now that you've reminded me of it, I recall that game's existence. Thanks for reminding me of it. Both that, and Pac in Time, look like really weird and different takes on how you would make Pac-man into a platformer,

• Like 1

Oh, yeah, now that you've reminded me of it, I recall that game's existence. Thanks for reminding me of it. Both that, and Pac in Time, look like really weird and different takes on how you would make Pac-man into a platformer,

It blows my mind that Pac-Land preceded Super Mario Bros. by a year.

• Like 2

It blows my mind that Pac-Land preceded Super Mario Bros. by a year.

It does seem extremely odd. The game that we think revolutionised the platforming genre was beaten to release by a Pac-man spin-off game. But, gaming history is weird like that, and many games we consider 'firsts' aren't.

• Like 3

Hahaha. So true Rhys.

Abnormal moments in gaming history, tend to be some of the greatest moments afterwards!

Anthony...

Totally agree. The earlier games in a genre tend to be experimental, and, due to that, they often lack refinement and polish. It normally takes a few attempts before a genre really can stand out, and we can see what makes the games engaging, and to set a benchmark.

One example of this would be with the FPS. Wolfenstein 3D was a good game, but was clearly a first draft. In Doom, however, id took what they learnt from their previous effort, and refined the game with more variety and more colourful visuals. This showed what the FPS could be, and helped sculpt the early years of the FPS.

The same can be said for Pac-land and Super Mario Bros. Nintendo learnt from past efforts, and added their own flair to make a truly great game.

• Like 3

I doubt Nintendo learned anything from Pac-Land; its DNA started with Mario Bros.

As for DOOM, that's an example of a genre that was perfected and everything after is poor imitation. The DOOM Clone genre is really superfluous; we already have DOOM, the only exception being Quake III Arena for multiplayer.

They probably didn't learn specifically from Pac-land, but from previous attempts in general, including Mario Bros. And, while some people didn't like the DOOM clones, they were enjoyed by many people, and helped slowly evolve the FPS into what we know today.

• Like 1

The "FPS" didn't evolve, it devolved.

DOOM (and Quake III Arena) perfected the genre. Everything else is poor imitation (Halo, CoD, etc.).

fps_map.jpg

That's all opinion, though. A modern FPS focus isn't where DOOM's are. While a game may be more linear, that doesn't make for a necessarily worse experience. Plus, not all modern FPS's fall under that category.

An old FPS was about exploration and the fast-paced gameplay, and giving you the feeling of power: that you are a lone warrior fighting off hordes of enemies. Modern FPS'S focus less on that, and more on delivering a narrative, and making you feel part of a grand war effort, which fits more to a linear map design. Which one is better is all a matter of preference, but many people do enjoy the modern style of FPS, and like it's more gritty tone.

As always, with both styles, there will be bad games, and games that you personally don't like. But the newer style of games focus on a different type of experience, which isn't always a bad thing.

Plus, if you want a more modern FPS that isn't linear, there are many multiplayer shooters nowadays that focus exactly on that.

The "FPS" didn't evolve, it devolved.

DOOM (and Quake III Arena) perfected the genre. Everything else is poor imitation (Halo, CoD, etc.).

fps_map.jpg

LOL! I can't stand cut scenes in games. It was cool as a kid but now I just want to play the game! It's so frustrating and I don't pay any attention when one plays. It's kind of like a commercial to me.

LOL! I can't stand cut scenes in games. It was cool as a kid but now I just want to play the game! It's so frustrating and I don't pay any attention when one plays. It's kind of like a commercial to me.

I, personally, don't like excessive cut scenes in games either, as I think that a really good game tells it's story through it's mechanics and the environment. This is probably why we like SNES games so much, as cut scenes are only really used to give context, if at all. Although cut scenes do have their place, many SNES games would be worse with them.

I, personally, don't like excessive cut scenes in games either, as I think that a really good game tells it's story through it's mechanics and the environment. This is probably why we like SNES games so much, as cut scenes are only really used to give context, if at all. Although cut scenes do have their place, many SNES games would be worse with them.

I like the simple and short 16 bit cut scenes. It's actually a treat for me to watch those. Another World is a good example of this.

• Like 2

I like the simple and short 16 bit cut scenes. It's actually a treat for me to watch those. Another World is a good example of this.

They are pretty cool, as they are normally done with in-game graphics. Many cutscenes nowadays are pre-rendered, so feel very disjointed from the game as a whole.

• Like 1

The thing about cutscenes made me think about a question: What is your favourite SNES game, in terms of story? I'd give my opinion, but I haven't played enough story-heavy SNES games to give a full opinion on them.

Gotta be one of the RPG's. But if we leave those out, then the Koei games are good for story since most of them either based off historical events or have detailed back settings given to you. Ninja Gaiden Trilogy is just a port of the NES games. Actriser has a good story for a combo action/sim game. Super Metroid doesn't TELL you much of a story, but you can figure out and piece together a LOT of it from the gameplay.

• Like 1

Gotta be one of the RPG's. But if we leave those out, then the Koei games are good for story since most of them either based off historical events or have detailed back settings given to you. Ninja Gaiden Trilogy is just a port of the NES games. Actriser has a good story for a combo action/sim game. Super Metroid doesn't TELL you much of a story, but you can figure out and piece together a LOT of it from the gameplay.

I LOVE games that tell you the story through the mechanics alone, which is what Super Metroid does. And with the amount of RPG's on the SNES, there's so many with deep, engaging stories to count.

• Like 2

And with the amount of RPG's on the SNES, there's so many with deep, engaging stories to count.

That being said Rhys, these are my personal favorites. :)

The Secret of Mana

Illusion of Gala (Illusion of Time)

Secret of Evermore

The 7th Saga

Super Mario RPG

Chrono Trigger

Anthony...

• Like 1

God bless any soul who has finished the 7th saga. I haven't played it but i've heard horror stories on how BRUTAL the game is.

I did. :) For the podcast. It's a very tough game indeed and I never did beat it back in the day but did so recently with the help of a Let's Play, who did it without the help of any companions so you gain more skills and experience. They actually made the game HARDER for the US release, if you can believe that. ;)

I actually have never played the Lufia games. Always meant to, just never found the time.

• Like 2