IGNORED

Adventure III: The Race for the Chalice

PacManPlus

Just like what everyone else is saying. Follow what you want. However, since you asked. I would say....

Adventure

Resolve

In that order.

there. that's better.
Glad we agree.

Being a little less silly I do lile seeing new creations that aren't just arcade ports. BBCQ is easily the best game on the 7800 and the new Rikki and Vicki is there as well. Both are new games amd not ports nor an arcade game that has already been ported to the 2600.

Now If the Adventure 3 was basically a reskin of Adventure that would change my vote.

Edited by MrBeefy

• 3 years later...

Just bumping this, as I've kind of picked it up again...  Currently re-working the scrolling routine.

The rules have been slightly changed:

;	ADVENTURE III: THE RACE FOR THE CHALICE
;
;	ONE OR TWO-PLAYER ADVENTURE GAME (IF ONE PLAYER, JUST DON'T USE THE SECOND CONTROLLER)
;
;	OBJECT:
;	- FIND THE THREE PIECES OF THE CHALICE AND PUT THEM TOGETHER
;	- IF TWO PLAYER, YOU NEED TO FIND THEM FASTER THAN THE OTHER PLAYER
;
;	RULES:
;	- IF ONE PLAYER ENTERS A CASTLE AND FINDS A TOOL (I.E. KEY, AXE, BRIDGE) THAT ITEM IS NO LONGER
;		AVAILABLE TO THE OTHER PLAYER IN THE SAME CASTLE (THE OTHER PLAYER WILL HAVE TO FIND ANOTHER
;		CASTLE)
;	- IF ONE PLAYER KILLS ANOTHER, (S)HE WILL ACQUIRE THAT PLAYER'S TOOLS AND THE KILLED PLAYER WILL
;		HAVE TO FIND THEM AGAIN IN ANOTHER CASTLE (ASSUMING THEY HAVE ANY LIVES LEFT)
;	- IF ONE PLAYER HAS A PIECE OR TWO OF THE CHALICE AND THE OTHER PLAYER HAS THE OTHER PIECE(S),
;		AND NEITHER OF YOU CAN KILL THE OTHER,
;		IT NOW BECOMES A COOPERATIVE GAME AND THE TWO PLAYERS HAVE TO FIND EACH OTHER (AND RUN INTO EACH OTHER)
;		IN THE FINAL CASTLE TO PUT ALL OF THE PIECES TOGETHER AND WIN THE GAME AS A TEAM.
;	- YORGLE, GRUNDLE, AND RHINDLE ARE BACK IN THE FINAL CASTLE, AND EACH ARE GUARDING A PIECE OF THE 
;		CHALICE
;	- DEMONS GUARD TOOLS (KEY, AXE, BRIDGE) AND MUST BE HIT MULTIPLE TIMES WITH THE SWORD
;		TO BE KILLED
;	- RANDOM HINDERANCES:
;		> BAT (EITHER ANNOYS YOU -IF YOU'RE NOT HOLDING ANYTHING- OR SWAPS OBJECTS IF YOU ARE... 
;		> TERMITE - NEED TO WORK ON THIS ONE
;		> CRAWLING EYE (KILLS PLAYER ON CONTACT)
;		> THE OTHER PLAYER (IF APPLICABLE)
;
;	ENVIRONMENT:
;	- OVERVIEW
;		> CASTLES, STREAMS, FOREST, GATE (TO THE FINAL CASTLE) 
;		> DIFFERENT COLOR CASTLES CONTAIN DIFFERENT ITEMS (BLUE = BRIDGE, RED = AXE, YELLOW = KEY)
;		> GREY MOUNTAINS ARE IMPASSABLE
;	- INSIDE CASTLE
;		> ALL PATHS ARE VISIBLE (TORCHES ON WALLS)
;		> MOVEMENT SCROLLS SCREEN
;		> IF PLAYER ENTERS SAME SCREEN AS EN ENEMY, THE ENEMY WILL GIVE CHASE
;			NOTE: NEED TO FIGURE OUT A GOOD 'SMART' CHASE ALGORITHM WHERE THEY GO AROUND TO GET YOU
;		> PLAYERS WILL 'SEE' EACH OTHER ON THEIR OWN SECTION OF THE SCREEN IF THEY ARE IN THE SAME
;			SPACE AS THE OTHER
;	-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
;
;	ENVIRONMENT SPECS:
;	- OVERVIEW MAP SHARED BETWEEN PLAYERS, (20 X 6 TILES)
;	- SEPARATE INSIDE MAPS PER PLAYER, DEPENDING ON CASTLE ENTERED
;		> CASTLES ARE GOING TO BE A FIXED SIZE (POSSIBLY 16 X 16 ROOMS, NEED TO FIGURE THIS OUT)

@Mods - Can we change the title of this thread to "Adventure III: The Race for the Chalice" please?   Thank you :)

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Thanks guys :)

What's funny about the way I've laid it out, is that if you're playing single player you basically have two lives: If you die as player one, you just need to pick up the other controller as player two, find the first (dead) player, and complete the game.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

Thanks guys :)

What's funny about the way I've laid it out, is that if you're playing single player you basically have two lives: If you die as player one, you just need to pick up the other controller as player two, find the first (dead) player, and complete the game.

Hi Bob

I am sure, A3 will be great.....cannot wait to see something ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you!

Ok, So I've decided to *not* pack castle layout data, for two reasons:

1) I need the scrolling updates to happen as quickly as possible, and

2) I don't want to use up RAM as I'm trying to stick to stock configuration. 

Bonus Reason: It makes hacking levels that much easier ;)

The castle layouts will be in ROM, and the game will pick randomly from them (the same way Intellivision Cloudy Mountain does the overview maps).  However *my* overview map *will* be randomly generated (with some rules as to not create unwinnable situations). The enemies/objects will be randomly placed within the castle once you enter.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 13

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2022 at 8:08 PM, PacManPlus said:

Just bumping this, as I've kind of picked it up again...  Currently re-working the scrolling routine.

The rules have been slightly changed:

;	ADVENTURE III: THE RACE FOR THE CHALICE
;
;	ONE OR TWO-PLAYER ADVENTURE GAME (IF ONE PLAYER, JUST DON'T USE THE SECOND CONTROLLER)
;
;	OBJECT:
;	- FIND THE THREE PIECES OF THE CHALICE AND PUT THEM TOGETHER
;	- IF TWO PLAYER, YOU NEED TO FIND THEM FASTER THAN THE OTHER PLAYER
;
;	RULES:
;	- IF ONE PLAYER ENTERS A CASTLE AND FINDS A TOOL (I.E. KEY, AXE, BRIDGE) THAT ITEM IS NO LONGER
;		AVAILABLE TO THE OTHER PLAYER IN THE SAME CASTLE (THE OTHER PLAYER WILL HAVE TO FIND ANOTHER
;		CASTLE)
;	- IF ONE PLAYER KILLS ANOTHER, (S)HE WILL ACQUIRE THAT PLAYER'S TOOLS AND THE KILLED PLAYER WILL
;		HAVE TO FIND THEM AGAIN IN ANOTHER CASTLE (ASSUMING THEY HAVE ANY LIVES LEFT)
;	- IF ONE PLAYER HAS A PIECE OR TWO OF THE CHALICE AND THE OTHER PLAYER HAS THE OTHER PIECE(S),
;		AND NEITHER OF YOU CAN KILL THE OTHER,
;		IT NOW BECOMES A COOPERATIVE GAME AND THE TWO PLAYERS HAVE TO FIND EACH OTHER (AND RUN INTO EACH OTHER)
;		IN THE FINAL CASTLE TO PUT ALL OF THE PIECES TOGETHER AND WIN THE GAME AS A TEAM.
;	- YORGLE, GRUNDLE, AND RHINDLE ARE BACK IN THE FINAL CASTLE, AND EACH ARE GUARDING A PIECE OF THE 
;		CHALICE
;	- DEMONS GUARD TOOLS (KEY, AXE, BRIDGE) AND MUST BE HIT MULTIPLE TIMES WITH THE SWORD
;		TO BE KILLED
;	- RANDOM HINDERANCES:
;		> BAT (EITHER ANNOYS YOU -IF YOU'RE NOT HOLDING ANYTHING- OR SWAPS OBJECTS IF YOU ARE... 
;		> TERMITE - NEED TO WORK ON THIS ONE
;		> CRAWLING EYE (KILLS PLAYER ON CONTACT)
;		> THE OTHER PLAYER (IF APPLICABLE)
;
;	ENVIRONMENT:
;	- OVERVIEW
;		> CASTLES, STREAMS, FOREST, GATE (TO THE FINAL CASTLE) 
;		> DIFFERENT COLOR CASTLES CONTAIN DIFFERENT ITEMS (BLUE = BRIDGE, RED = AXE, YELLOW = KEY)
;		> GREY MOUNTAINS ARE IMPASSABLE
;	- INSIDE CASTLE
;		> ALL PATHS ARE VISIBLE (TORCHES ON WALLS)
;		> MOVEMENT SCROLLS SCREEN
;		> IF PLAYER ENTERS SAME SCREEN AS EN ENEMY, THE ENEMY WILL GIVE CHASE
;			NOTE: NEED TO FIGURE OUT A GOOD 'SMART' CHASE ALGORITHM WHERE THEY GO AROUND TO GET YOU
;		> PLAYERS WILL 'SEE' EACH OTHER ON THEIR OWN SECTION OF THE SCREEN IF THEY ARE IN THE SAME
;			SPACE AS THE OTHER
;	-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
;
;	ENVIRONMENT SPECS:
;	- OVERVIEW MAP SHARED BETWEEN PLAYERS, (20 X 6 TILES)
;	- SEPARATE INSIDE MAPS PER PLAYER, DEPENDING ON CASTLE ENTERED
;		> CASTLES ARE GOING TO BE A FIXED SIZE (POSSIBLY 16 X 16 ROOMS, NEED TO FIGURE THIS OUT)

@Mods - Can we change the title of this thread to "Adventure III: The Race for the Chalice" please?   Thank you :)

Dude... bring it, boss

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nadir said:

This would be so cool.  Original Adventure on my 2600 (tons of fun), Adventure II XE on my 600XL (took it to a whole 'nother level), and then another awesome addition of Adventure III for 7800!

That's why this is the perfect Bob project- to complete the trilogy! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So I'm finding some parallels between this and Defender that I'm working on: they both will have things happening off-screen (when the player is in a castle), so hopefully when I get a way of working on this that I'm happy with, I can use it for both games. :) 

• Like 6

• 7 months later...

Question for you guys:

Regarding the placement of the castles.  I know my original rules above state that an item (key/sword/etc) picked up by one player will no longer be there for the other... which means that the other player will have to find another similar castle to get the same item.  This assumes there will be more than one castle per area.  I am now revisiting this, and wondering if there only should be one castle per area (like the original Adventure).  You will need to find the corresponding key in order to move to the next area (like Dark Tower), and you will have to be able to traverse the 'forest' with help from the sword/bridge/etc (like Cloudy Mountain).

So there are three options here:

1. Multiple castles (the original idea, and more like Cloudy Mountain): Castles are different colors that hold corresponding items to help you get to the final castle.  One player picks up an object, the other player needs to find another same-color castle to get the same object.  Gates are locked for each player, meaning each player needs a key to get through it to get to the next area.

2. One castle per area (new idea, scenario 1): One castle per area containing a key to the next area. One player picks it up, the other must wait until the other player opens the gate in order to pass through.  Once opened, the gate is open for both players.  Other items (sword, bridge, etc.) are found in the 'wild'.

3. One castle per area (new idea, scenario 2): Again, one castle per area containing a key to the next area.  One player picks it up, but it still exists for the other player as well.  As in option 1, gates are locked for each player.  Other items (sword, bridge, etc.) are found in the 'wild' again.

I don't see an option for a poll here, or I would do that to see what the prevailing option is.

What say you? :)

EDIT - Please note that in single player mode, none of these options matter.

EDIT2 - I personally like option 3 ;) 

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

1 hour ago, PacManPlus said:

I don't see an option for a poll here, or I would do that to see what the prevailing option is.

What say you? :)

EDIT - Please note that in single player mode, none of these options matter.

EDIT2 - I personally like option 3 ;) 

Initially I leaned towards option 2, but if the player with the key wanders off looking for other items, it might be excessively frustrating for the other player.

More importantly IMO, keys should behave the same as other items. So if one player taking a bridge means the other player can't pick up that same bridge (as was stated in post #1), then keys should work the same. If you do option 3 and make the other items work like keys, then the players mostly play in their own sandboxes.

Maybe option 1 is still best.

• Like 1

#1 is ok, but it's the one I'm least fond of it, as it continually separates the players.

I think #2 only works if there are alternative ways to progress. If one player can hold the key hostage while they hunt for stuff (pat's scenario) it makes it very frustrating if the other player wants to race forward. I think I might like this option, though, if there was some way to bypass being stuck.

For #3, the issue I have is just implementation. A key that is taken and remains for the other player is weird. So either there should be 2 identical keys (and you can only take 1) or taking the key should immediately trigger a gate unlock.

• Like 2

Now I'm ignorant to programming and what's capable on a cartridge due to room, limitations etc. But what if you did 2 and 3 has a competitive mode and a cooperative mode. Like one mode you race the other player and you each have to get the keys and complete the game and the coop mode is when players agree to work together and win together.  So even if the other player can't get the key they agreed to play coop so ideally they'd be working towards the same goal. Idk all methods have their pros and cons but something like that seems win win. 

Failing that I'd probably vote 3. 

Option #1, Scratch and go with either...

Option #2, would work if the other player would also have the ability to 'steal' the key from the player holding it.  Otherwise, I agree with the other comments of the frustration setting in for the player waiting on the one with the key in their possession...

or...

Option #3, I'm for two identical keys in different locations in which each player must find their own key to progress.

• Like 1