Jump to content
PacManPlus

Adventure III: The Race for the Chalice

Recommended Posts

 

Just like what everyone else is saying. Follow what you want. However, since you asked. I would say....

 

Adventure

Resolve

 

 

In that order.

there. that's better.
Glad we agree.

 

Being a little less silly I do lile seeing new creations that aren't just arcade ports. BBCQ is easily the best game on the 7800 and the new Rikki and Vicki is there as well. Both are new games amd not ports nor an arcade game that has already been ported to the 2600.

 

Now If the Adventure 3 was basically a reskin of Adventure that would change my vote.

Edited by MrBeefy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually that rezolve game could be really cool with enough content... actually all 3 games I am excited for.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just bumping this, as I've kind of picked it up again...  Currently re-working the scrolling routine.

 

The rules have been slightly changed:

 

;	ADVENTURE III: THE RACE FOR THE CHALICE
;
;	ONE OR TWO-PLAYER ADVENTURE GAME (IF ONE PLAYER, JUST DON'T USE THE SECOND CONTROLLER)
;
;	OBJECT:
;	- FIND THE THREE PIECES OF THE CHALICE AND PUT THEM TOGETHER
;	- IF TWO PLAYER, YOU NEED TO FIND THEM FASTER THAN THE OTHER PLAYER
;
;	RULES:
;	- IF ONE PLAYER ENTERS A CASTLE AND FINDS A TOOL (I.E. KEY, AXE, BRIDGE) THAT ITEM IS NO LONGER
;		AVAILABLE TO THE OTHER PLAYER IN THE SAME CASTLE (THE OTHER PLAYER WILL HAVE TO FIND ANOTHER
;		CASTLE)
;	- IF ONE PLAYER KILLS ANOTHER, (S)HE WILL ACQUIRE THAT PLAYER'S TOOLS AND THE KILLED PLAYER WILL
;		HAVE TO FIND THEM AGAIN IN ANOTHER CASTLE (ASSUMING THEY HAVE ANY LIVES LEFT)
;	- IF ONE PLAYER HAS A PIECE OR TWO OF THE CHALICE AND THE OTHER PLAYER HAS THE OTHER PIECE(S),
;		AND NEITHER OF YOU CAN KILL THE OTHER,
;		IT NOW BECOMES A COOPERATIVE GAME AND THE TWO PLAYERS HAVE TO FIND EACH OTHER (AND RUN INTO EACH OTHER)
;		IN THE FINAL CASTLE TO PUT ALL OF THE PIECES TOGETHER AND WIN THE GAME AS A TEAM.
;	- YORGLE, GRUNDLE, AND RHINDLE ARE BACK IN THE FINAL CASTLE, AND EACH ARE GUARDING A PIECE OF THE 
;		CHALICE
;	- DEMONS GUARD TOOLS (KEY, AXE, BRIDGE) AND MUST BE HIT MULTIPLE TIMES WITH THE SWORD
;		TO BE KILLED
;	- RANDOM HINDERANCES:
;		> BAT (EITHER ANNOYS YOU -IF YOU'RE NOT HOLDING ANYTHING- OR SWAPS OBJECTS IF YOU ARE... 
;		> TERMITE - NEED TO WORK ON THIS ONE
;		> CRAWLING EYE (KILLS PLAYER ON CONTACT)
;		> THE OTHER PLAYER (IF APPLICABLE)
;
;	ENVIRONMENT:
;	- OVERVIEW
;		> CASTLES, STREAMS, FOREST, GATE (TO THE FINAL CASTLE) 
;		> DIFFERENT COLOR CASTLES CONTAIN DIFFERENT ITEMS (BLUE = BRIDGE, RED = AXE, YELLOW = KEY)
;		> GREY MOUNTAINS ARE IMPASSABLE
;	- INSIDE CASTLE
;		> ALL PATHS ARE VISIBLE (TORCHES ON WALLS)
;		> MOVEMENT SCROLLS SCREEN
;		> IF PLAYER ENTERS SAME SCREEN AS EN ENEMY, THE ENEMY WILL GIVE CHASE
;			NOTE: NEED TO FIGURE OUT A GOOD 'SMART' CHASE ALGORITHM WHERE THEY GO AROUND TO GET YOU
;		> PLAYERS WILL 'SEE' EACH OTHER ON THEIR OWN SECTION OF THE SCREEN IF THEY ARE IN THE SAME
;			SPACE AS THE OTHER
;	-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
;
;	ENVIRONMENT SPECS:
;	- OVERVIEW MAP SHARED BETWEEN PLAYERS, (20 X 6 TILES)
;	- SEPARATE INSIDE MAPS PER PLAYER, DEPENDING ON CASTLE ENTERED
;		> CASTLES ARE GOING TO BE A FIXED SIZE (POSSIBLY 16 X 16 ROOMS, NEED TO FIGURE THIS OUT)

 

 

@Mods - Can we change the title of this thread to "Adventure III: The Race for the Chalice" please?   Thank you :)

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a big Adventure fan, and I'm really looking forward to seeing your take on it!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys :)

 

What's funny about the way I've laid it out, is that if you're playing single player you basically have two lives: If you die as player one, you just need to pick up the other controller as player two, find the first (dead) player, and complete the game.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

Thanks guys :)

 

What's funny about the way I've laid it out, is that if you're playing single player you basically have two lives: If you die as player one, you just need to pick up the other controller as player two, find the first (dead) player, and complete the game.

Hi Bob

I am sure, A3 will be great.....cannot wait to see something 😉

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you!

 

Ok, So I've decided to *not* pack castle layout data, for two reasons:

1) I need the scrolling updates to happen as quickly as possible, and

2) I don't want to use up RAM as I'm trying to stick to stock configuration. 

 

Bonus Reason: It makes hacking levels that much easier ;)

 

The castle layouts will be in ROM, and the game will pick randomly from them (the same way Intellivision Cloudy Mountain does the overview maps).  However *my* overview map *will* be randomly generated (with some rules as to not create unwinnable situations). The enemies/objects will be randomly placed within the castle once you enter.

 

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2022 at 8:08 PM, PacManPlus said:

Just bumping this, as I've kind of picked it up again...  Currently re-working the scrolling routine.

 

The rules have been slightly changed:

 

;	ADVENTURE III: THE RACE FOR THE CHALICE
;
;	ONE OR TWO-PLAYER ADVENTURE GAME (IF ONE PLAYER, JUST DON'T USE THE SECOND CONTROLLER)
;
;	OBJECT:
;	- FIND THE THREE PIECES OF THE CHALICE AND PUT THEM TOGETHER
;	- IF TWO PLAYER, YOU NEED TO FIND THEM FASTER THAN THE OTHER PLAYER
;
;	RULES:
;	- IF ONE PLAYER ENTERS A CASTLE AND FINDS A TOOL (I.E. KEY, AXE, BRIDGE) THAT ITEM IS NO LONGER
;		AVAILABLE TO THE OTHER PLAYER IN THE SAME CASTLE (THE OTHER PLAYER WILL HAVE TO FIND ANOTHER
;		CASTLE)
;	- IF ONE PLAYER KILLS ANOTHER, (S)HE WILL ACQUIRE THAT PLAYER'S TOOLS AND THE KILLED PLAYER WILL
;		HAVE TO FIND THEM AGAIN IN ANOTHER CASTLE (ASSUMING THEY HAVE ANY LIVES LEFT)
;	- IF ONE PLAYER HAS A PIECE OR TWO OF THE CHALICE AND THE OTHER PLAYER HAS THE OTHER PIECE(S),
;		AND NEITHER OF YOU CAN KILL THE OTHER,
;		IT NOW BECOMES A COOPERATIVE GAME AND THE TWO PLAYERS HAVE TO FIND EACH OTHER (AND RUN INTO EACH OTHER)
;		IN THE FINAL CASTLE TO PUT ALL OF THE PIECES TOGETHER AND WIN THE GAME AS A TEAM.
;	- YORGLE, GRUNDLE, AND RHINDLE ARE BACK IN THE FINAL CASTLE, AND EACH ARE GUARDING A PIECE OF THE 
;		CHALICE
;	- DEMONS GUARD TOOLS (KEY, AXE, BRIDGE) AND MUST BE HIT MULTIPLE TIMES WITH THE SWORD
;		TO BE KILLED
;	- RANDOM HINDERANCES:
;		> BAT (EITHER ANNOYS YOU -IF YOU'RE NOT HOLDING ANYTHING- OR SWAPS OBJECTS IF YOU ARE... 
;		> TERMITE - NEED TO WORK ON THIS ONE
;		> CRAWLING EYE (KILLS PLAYER ON CONTACT)
;		> THE OTHER PLAYER (IF APPLICABLE)
;
;	ENVIRONMENT:
;	- OVERVIEW
;		> CASTLES, STREAMS, FOREST, GATE (TO THE FINAL CASTLE) 
;		> DIFFERENT COLOR CASTLES CONTAIN DIFFERENT ITEMS (BLUE = BRIDGE, RED = AXE, YELLOW = KEY)
;		> GREY MOUNTAINS ARE IMPASSABLE
;	- INSIDE CASTLE
;		> ALL PATHS ARE VISIBLE (TORCHES ON WALLS)
;		> MOVEMENT SCROLLS SCREEN
;		> IF PLAYER ENTERS SAME SCREEN AS EN ENEMY, THE ENEMY WILL GIVE CHASE
;			NOTE: NEED TO FIGURE OUT A GOOD 'SMART' CHASE ALGORITHM WHERE THEY GO AROUND TO GET YOU
;		> PLAYERS WILL 'SEE' EACH OTHER ON THEIR OWN SECTION OF THE SCREEN IF THEY ARE IN THE SAME
;			SPACE AS THE OTHER
;	-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
;
;	ENVIRONMENT SPECS:
;	- OVERVIEW MAP SHARED BETWEEN PLAYERS, (20 X 6 TILES)
;	- SEPARATE INSIDE MAPS PER PLAYER, DEPENDING ON CASTLE ENTERED
;		> CASTLES ARE GOING TO BE A FIXED SIZE (POSSIBLY 16 X 16 ROOMS, NEED TO FIGURE THIS OUT)

 

 

@Mods - Can we change the title of this thread to "Adventure III: The Race for the Chalice" please?   Thank you :)

 

 

 

 

 

Dude... bring it, boss

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This would be so cool.  Original Adventure on my 2600 (tons of fun), Adventure II XE on my 600XL (took it to a whole 'nother level), and then another awesome addition of Adventure III for 7800!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you.

 

Once I start to feel better I will continue work on this.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

Thank you.

 

Once I start to feel better I will continue work on this.

Every 7800 fan is 100% behind you! 👍🏻

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nadir said:

This would be so cool.  Original Adventure on my 2600 (tons of fun), Adventure II XE on my 600XL (took it to a whole 'nother level), and then another awesome addition of Adventure III for 7800!

That's why this is the perfect Bob project- to complete the trilogy! 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Cousin Vinnie said:

That's why this is the perfect Bob project- to complete the trilogy! 

Couldn't agree more!!! 🤘

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think one of the things I'm going to add is the ability for the sword to 'break'.  Of course, when fighting a dragon / monster I'll have to push them backward with each hit so it's fair once you see the sword has broken, you can run. :)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adventure on the 2600...

Adventure II on the 5200 (and sort-of the 2600 but meh)...

 

It's only fitting that Adventure III be on the 7800.

 

So, who's planning Adventure IV for the Jaguar?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I'm finding some parallels between this and Defender that I'm working on: they both will have things happening off-screen (when the player is in a castle), so hopefully when I get a way of working on this that I'm happy with, I can use it for both games. :) 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...