IGNORED

Has anyone bought the Elite controller?

CPUWIZ

I got one for Christmas last year. it's definitely a premium controller and quite good, particularly if you like the secondary paddles. The new Xbox One S controller, though, is also really excellent, and can be customized for less money if you don't need those secondary paddles.

I got one for Christmas last year. it's definitely a premium controller and quite good, particularly if you like the secondary paddles. The new Xbox One S controller, though, is also really excellent, and can be customized for less money if you don't need those secondary paddles.

It is the reason I was asking, got a 2TB S last week, never got the original. I was just wondering if it is worth it, to drop $150 on a controller.

It is the reason I was asking, got a 2TB S last week, never got the original. I was just wondering if it is worth it, to drop $150 on a controller.

The S controller is a significant improvement over the original. Overall, it's probably not quite as nice as the Elite, but it's right up there, and certainly not enough to justify the difference in cost unless you really want the programmable paddles.

Best controller of all time IMO

Agreed. I pre-ordered one way back, but when I got it I felt so guilty about dropping $150 on a controller that I returned it to Microsoft. But a few months later I ended up getting another one anyway :) I love it, though if the Xbox One S controller is that much nicer than the original then perhaps that's a nice way to thread the needle between the original controller and getting an elite.

• 2 months later...

Best controller I've ever had. It's worth the money, especially if you play FPS games on a consistent basis.

This comment above seals the deal, thanks Major!

I received a $50 gift card for Amazon back in September. I'm finally going to order an Elite tonight. Late birthday/early Christmas present.

Well, I came on here to start a thread about this but someone beat me to it.

Here in the UK at the moment there are deals for the Xbox One + Elite Controller for under £200. I've persuaded the eldest (a keen COD player) that she needs one. The controller alone typically costs £110. However, as I don't have any COD games for my Xbone she'd have to go out and buy her own.

Alternatively, there's the Xbox One S with FIFA for around £240. She doesn't have a 4K TV so I'm guessing the extra power would be wasted on her?

I'd love to own one but $150.00 ....I just....can't.

For that amount of money I'd rather buy one of the rare Sega Saturn gems I've been eyeing on Ebay,or just buy a well made home arcade stick for my retro systems instead. Its a beautiful controller from what I've seen of it,but the price just says no to me. :( :_(

After a bit of dithering I decided to get the Xbox One Elite bundle for COD-loving daughter. But when I went to the stores that had been advertising them for £199, they'd gone back up to nearly £300!! AAAARRGH! Finally found one that had them at the reduced price and in stock. Phew!

That bundle's a pretty decent deal. The Xbone Elite also has a 1Tb hybrid drive. Mine's got a standard 500Gb drive and I'm forever having to install/uninstall games on it. Just too small.

You can use an external drive on the Xbox 1 and store games there, though I am not sure of the limitations.

If I understand correctly, one has to use batteries with the elite controller, correct? I think I am happy enough with the revised controller that supports bluetooth.

There are no limitations with using an external hard drive. You just specify where you want games to be installed.

The Elite controller works the same as any other first party Xbox One controllers. You can use batteries or a rechargeable battery pack. The latter is obviously not included. Personally, I prefer the option to use regular batteries because my PS4 controllers seem to lose their charges at the most inopportune times, and then I have to stop and charge them.

Just Googled the Elite controller USB cable that came with it. Seems you can use the controller with a PC. I always wondered what the little USB port was for on Xbone controllers.

The Elite controller can be used wired (or wireless with an adapter) for Windows 10. Not sure about support for other versions.

• 4 weeks later...

Just tried it for myself last night. It certainly feels better in my hand than the original. Daughter couldn't get to grips with the extra triggers at the bottom so I took them off. They are a bit too easy to press. Could have done with more resistance in the switches. I've tried Battlefront with the trigger switches set to allow faster fire response and that does feel much nicer. Even though you're only talking about a split second difference to an opponent with a standard controller, it does seem to give you the edge. A couple of times I was able to dispatch several players grouped in an area - once I was able to clear a doorway containing five enemy players without using explosives. And I'm pretty useless at FPS games.

• 3 months later...

i love using them haven't bought one yet because of the expense seen them as low as 130 at costco i want one bad the regular ones feel like junk now which is sad

Have you tried the new S controllers that are just $39.99? I'd say they're much better than the original controllers and have a lot of the texture of the Elite. The only real difference is you don't get swappable parts or extra paddles. Frankly, I don't find myself using either of the extra features.

• Like 2

It definitely has some heft to it, useful for those who need the extra buttons/mapping.

As someone who collects the controllers, I still prefer the Forza one simply because of the grip and don't need the extra buttons.

Thankfully that grip is being used in the newest controller.

https://twitter.com/shieldsjames/status/845420954167619584

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...