IGNORED

YASH 1.30 for SIO2USB - XEX loader added

StefanD

I added an XEX loader to the file manager YASH for the ABBUC-RAF device SIO2USB.

Simply press Shift-Return to start the selected XEX (this will also switch off ATARI BASIC and clear main RAM). Firmware 4.23 or higher is needed, e.g. FW042309.ATR.

If XEX loading stops and the screen color changes, this means:
- red: XEX is corrupt or tries to load in $700-$9ff
- yellow-brown: I/O error
- blue: XEX has returned from its RUN address
In this case you can press RESET to reboot.

YASH13.XEX

• Like 4

I added an XEX loader to the file manager YASH for the ABBUC-RAF device SIO2USB.

Simply press Shift-Return to start the selected XEX (this will also switch off ATARI BASIC and clear main RAM). Firmware 4.23 or higher is needed, e.g. FW042309.ATR.

If XEX loading stops and the screen color changes, this means:

- red: XEX is corrupt or tries to load in $700-$9ff

- yellow-brown: I/O error

- blue: XEX has returned from its RUN address

In this case you can press RESET to reboot.

One weird thing though...

On XDOS it seems not want to autoboot when I rename it to AUTORUN.SYS... while version 1.20 does want to autoboot when renamed.

Just to be clear. Is this also usable with SIO2PC-USB?

- Michael

Not without a two way SIO connector. This hardware only comes with one SIO plug.. and the Files are delivered to the Atari via a plug in USB thumb drive.

Also this hardware need the #2 pin connected also..

Edited by rdea6
  • Like 1

Just to be clear. Is this also usable with SIO2PC-USB?

No, it's only for use with the SIO2USB interface developed by the members of the ABBUC regional group called "RAF". With this device, USB sticks can be accessed from the ATARI. See the picture from Mathy above.

Is there a way to set the SIO rate with this software..??

No, the SIO2USB interface doesn't support this. But it should be able to work with higher SIO rates than 56K. I told the SIO2USB developers about it at the Fujijama meeting. If they can adapt their firmware, I will raise the used SIO rate.

For completeness, here are the added features in YASH 1.2:
- "Make ATR" can also create ATRs with 16 MB size (use "X" as size)

- RETURN displays the contents of the selected (text) file (if it is not an ATR/XEX)

In the past they were built and sold by the Frankfurt chapter of the ABBUC on a pre-order basis. I've lost the link to their order page so I can't be sure they are still taking orders. You could try sending an email to sio2usb@abbuc-raf.de. Thomas Grasel was the guy handling sio2usb orders.

The Sio2USB from Abbuc has one serious downside, and that is that higher sector numbers in larger ATR files are slower. The higher you get, the slower it becomes.

I hope they will fix that one day too.

Yesterday I discussed this issue with one of my closest friends. He is a true a8 wiz and his idea was this:

The slow down is because of following the FAT chain from the start of the file for every cluster read. Perhaps the firmware/hardware doesn't cache the highest last-read cluster.

I am not an expert, but perhaps this is a clue how to fix this issue in Sio2USB?

In the past they were built and sold by the Frankfurt chapter of the ABBUC on a pre-order basis. I've lost the link to their order page so I can't be sure they are still taking orders. You could try sending an email to sio2usb@abbuc-raf.de. Thomas Grasel was the guy handling sio2usb orders.

Two days ago I talked to Thomas. There are about 20 devices left. And ABBUC shop has some additional ones, but older editions

Two days ago I talked to Thomas. There are about 20 devices left. And ABBUC shop has some additional ones, but older editions

I have one from the ABBUC Shop (Ser. #4003). Is this an older edition and what is the difference to the newer edition?

I have one from the ABBUC Shop (Ser. #4003). Is this an older edition and what is the difference to the newer edition?

All devices have a serial number starting with 4001, so you have an old version. Newer versions have an 1 GB internal flash drive, older versions only 512 MB (in YASH go to the \INT directory and press Shift-S to display the free size).

There are no other differences. (OK, older versions have an old firmware, but the SIO2USB has an easy-to-use and safe firmware updater. You need only to start the FW042309.ATR with the newest firmware.)

Older firmware and lack of SIO jack (so SIO2USB is the end of the SIO chain).

As far as I know, all versions come by default without a SIO jack. Only if you sent Thomas Grasel a SIO jack, he built it in the device. (He hadn't enough jacks to build them in every device.)

What is the price of the newer SIO2USB version ?

Ask Thomas - see email address above ...

• 1 month later...