IGNORED

How about a Frog Bog League - FBL?

ZillaRUSH

• 2 weeks later...

Holy moley, great job! You're my hero! I kinda figured you'd get a decent score since every score you've posted has exceeded your previous one.

Thanks, and take a Ritalin, Garth! I couldn't have done it without your playing tips and a lotta luck...

This competition was a blast, especially since the game only takes a little over three minutes to play! If I wasn't at 400 points by sunset, I would reset the game and try again. In addition to Jason's strategies, one of mine was to always go for the slower bug on the screen if there was a 25 point bug flying around since the 25 pointer is so hard to get. Once I got the slower bug I would try for the 25-pointer until another bug came out.

Some useless observations from playing way too many games of Frog Bog:

• Why not have more bugs on the screen at once? The frogs, tongues, and two bugs account for six sprites. Why not use the other two available sprites for two more bugs? Who's up for making Super Pro Frog Bog?!

• The frog's tongue sound must have also been used for the snake hiss in AD&D Cloudy Mountain.

• The frog's splash sound must have also been used in Sea Battle as the missed salvo.

• I've heard the bug-eating sound in another game too - can't remember which though.

• I swear that sometimes the disc jumped me in the opposite direction of what I was pushing...

• The computer frog's AI is horrible - he never even came close to beating me. Again, who's up for making SPFB?!

OMG, get out of my head ;-)

I too was adding up sprites and wondered if the splash animation counted as a sprite. If so, could you increase bug frequency by jumping in the water less? Also, if the tongue is also a sprite, could you increase bug frequency by minimizing tongue activity (does slurping hinder bug arrival)? And what's with the ones that begin to enter, but disappear once you eat an existing one? What else...the other advantage of eating the low-point slow bugs is that, with a sprite limitation, the longer they stay on the screen the longer you have to wait for higher point bugs to enter. Eating them quickly usually ends up in higher point bugs entering the screen faster. Also, many bugs enter low on the screen, so hang out and snatch them up with quick low jumps. High scores are all about clearing the screen as fast as possible. Slow bugs are a waste of sprites and valuable time.

Recommendations for super pro:

I think a cool addition would be to reward you for not falling in the water by upping the frequency of 25 point bugs, almost as if they were skiddish of the splashing. Fall in the water and you get more low point bugs.

I really enjoyed the deep dive into this game. It's rare for me to really dig into a game, but I almost always end up appreciating the game mechanics, once I start to understand it. I never realized how complex this simple game actually was :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I had the same thought about the rule-of-2 for bug sprites. Were there other features planned for Frog Bog that were cut before release? Did they try more bugs and it affected the game dynamic (ex: harder to deprive your competitor of bugs as you ate them)? As for grabbing the slow bugs first, I noticed the same strategy.