IGNORED

Finally got one! But got one question.

Steel76

For over 30 years now, I wanted to get my hands on a ColecoVision.

Remember getting a catalog, with ColecoVision games for sale, including screenshots, showing how much better the graphics was, compared to my 2600.

Nobody among my friends had one, as they had the 2600, Vectrex or Intellivision.

So I never got the chance to try it out, back in the day.

I have been keeping an eye out, on Ebay etc.

But I never got my thumb out of my ass, and bought one.

As I stuck with collecting for my 2600 and Vectrex instead.

Today, I got one, for FREE!

It was dismantled, as the previous owner had tried to make a composite mod, but never got around to it.

So I put it back together, put in Mouse Trap (that was included), and turned it on.

It works!! :)

Since this is the first time, that I have played on a ColecoVision, I have a question about the controllers.

They both work fine, but when moving the control stick, it kinda crackles, like the spring was busted.

Opened them up, and everything looked like it was brand new, except for dust.

Couldn't notice anything wrong with the springs either.

But when I put them back together, it still sounds and feels like it's at times getting stuck on something.

Is this normal?

Can't wait to add some games to my collection.

Never played Mouse Trap in the arcade, but I got the 2600 version.

The 2600 version is butchered in comparison :D

I also got the Steering Wheel, with a Turbo cart.

Sadly the gas pedal was missing.

But it was free, so I can't complain :)

So...where to begin with my new collection? "Frenzy" perhaps?

post-39354-0-81452900-1471197878_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steel76
  • Like 1

The controller "crackles" isn't uncommon and you can rotate the top disc counter clockwise and clockwise to see if that will find a sweat spot that stops the "crackles". This usually does the trick for me... for some reason.

Get yourself the AtariMax Ultimate SD MultiCart and you can load it up with 100s of rom files for immediate play instead of trying to track all the actual carts down and paying a lot of shipping fees.

• Like 1

Get yourself the AtariMax Ultimate SD MultiCart and you can load it up with 100s of rom files for immediate play instead of trying to track all the actual carts down and paying a lot of shipping fees.

I prefer owning the real carts though, and they are dirt cheap over here. Around 5 to 10 dollars.

But would be nice to get one of those SD carts later on, to try out homebrews, and play games that I don't need to own on real carts :)

That's one reason I liked the Colecovision flashback so much -- the less-than-completely-faithful controller actually felt better than the real thing to me.

Too bad they don't work on the original machines :(

Though, I have an MSX gamepad, that seems to work fine, for the games that don't require the keypad :)

Yep, will get those as well, digress :)

Making a list at the moment.

Space Fury and Cosmic Avenger is going on that list.

...and Lady Bug...and...Venture....

So many games that I want now! :D

I prefer owning the real carts though, and they are dirt cheap over here. Around 5 to 10 dollars.

But would be nice to get one of those SD carts later on, to try out homebrews, and play games that I don't need to own on real carts :)

You're going to spend more on individual carts than the AtariMax Ultimate SD cartridge

You're going to spend more on individual carts than the AtariMax Ultimate SD cartridge

Well, the SD cart costs $129 + shipping to Sweden.

I just made a nice deal, and bought 18 carts, locally at a retro store, for about $95.

And that's including all the games I wanted for the ColecoVision :)

Well, the SD cart costs $129 + shipping to Sweden.

I just made a nice deal, and bought 18 carts, locally at a retro store, for about $95.

And that's including all the games I wanted for the ColecoVision :)

And for $34 more + the cost of shipping you could've had the entire CV library plus homebrew games.

Then you're doing really bloody well, because the last time they were that common for me was back in the 1990s. They still pop up; just not terribly often.

Get yourself a better controller if at all possible. You can nudge about three quarters of the ColecoVision library into working with a six button Sega Genesis controller, which is by any objective standard better than the CV pack-in. You won't have access to the numeric keypad, but the arcade games generally don't make much use of those. Just fiddle around with the D-pad when you get to the light blue options screen and you'll be off to the races.

People have made custom ColecoVision controllers, but they're expensive, due in large part to the fact that the schematic for a CV controller looks like a pachinko machine. Look at this crap!

ColecoController.jpg

• Like 1

And for $34 more + the cost of shipping you could've had the entire CV library plus homebrew games.

Some people (including myself) prefer to have original carts, not SD carts (I've had them, and it's not the same to me). Let him get real carts, no need for a SD cart. He would be better off using that money to buy a SGM or something.

• Like 2

Then you're doing really bloody well, because the last time they were that common for me was back in the 1990s. They still pop up; just not terribly often.

Get yourself a better controller if at all possible. You can nudge about three quarters of the ColecoVision library into working with a six button Sega Genesis controller, which is by any objective standard better than the CV pack-in. You won't have access to the numeric keypad, but the arcade games generally don't make much use of those. Just fiddle around with the D-pad when you get to the light blue options screen and you'll be off to the races.

People have made custom ColecoVision controllers, but they're expensive, due in large part to the fact that the schematic for a CV controller looks like a pachinko machine. Look at this crap!

The machines themselves, are pretty hard to find at times, at least over here in Sweden, but there are a lot of carts floating around :)

I have a "Hudson Joycard" gamepad, for my MSX computer, that works perfectly with the CV. But I'm also gonna try my Genesis controller again. It made the doors freak out in Mouse Trap, when I last tried it :D