IGNORED

$82.45 to ship a 5200?!

bikeguychicago

Buyer beware: There are three seemingly independent auctions for 5200 consoles running on eBay at the moment with each auction charging $82.45 for shipping.

Seems very shady to me.

Auction #1: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-5200-Black-Console-Bundle-/142079366497?hash=item2114971561:g:n2QAAOSwZVlXqOBV

Auction #2: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-5200-Black-Console-/191943150126?hash=item2cb0b40a2e:g:wlAAAOSw6n5Xq4Fh

Auction #3: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-5200-Black-CONSOLE-ONLY-UNTESTED-NO-CORDS-/322223691032?hash=item4b06075518:g:RcMAAOSwgZ1Xq3x6

Only the first one is high and I am in Michigan. Other 2 are in 23 range.

And no flat rate box exists big enough for the 5200 console alone, much less the power supply, controllers, roller controller, games, etc. I would have gone with UPS or FedEx, those are probably cheaper for large and heavy lot than USPS.

It's obvious what's going on here. Seller set weight and box dimensions and let Ebay calculate the prices, he set them too high and depending on where you are, you are seeing ridiculous prices.

It is true that the 5200 is huge and if you have accessories like the roller ball, you are going to need a huge box. At a certain point, the USPS switches to "dimensional rates" where you are paying not by weight but mostly by size, and every extra inch of girth adds like $10 to the shipping price. But most people, including sellers, know nothing about dimensional rates and will just plug in some comically oversized box size to be safe, so they don't get screwed on shipping costs. (I've seen that happen, and had it happen to me, plenty of times too.) But that's how you get stuff like $82.45 to ship a loose 5200 console from South Carolina to New York, which is what I'm seeing on that last auction.

There's no flat rate box that can fit even a 5200 by itself. Biggest FRB is 12 x 12 x 5 1/2.

It is probably better to ship a 5200 by Fedex or UPS, but depending on your situation, that's not always easy. They won't pick up for free, for example. That's why I USPS myself.

My lord , did he put it as 100 pounds ?? I recently shipped a 39 pound box to Texas through UPS and it was 27.00 . There is noway that 5200 weighs anything near 39 pounds .

Again, it's not just about weight, it's also about size and the fact that he's using the USPS. He may have good reasons for using the USPS. Not everybody has a UPS dropoff location right nearby.

Again, it's not just about weight, it's also about size and the fact that he's using the USPS. He may have good reasons for using the USPS. Not everybody has a UPS dropoff location right nearby.

And if you go cross boarder with UPS you get nailed with fees out the wazoo from both customs and UPS taking on their own BS. FedEx does it too but not as often. I've had a number of tax exempt items get processed like that and they either get taxed when they shouldn't or don't get taxed and you still have to pay the "processing fee". It's a total scam. Barely ever happens with normal USPS. I'd say it's about 50 to 1 from my experience. With UPS or FedEx it's 1 in 4 or 5 tops before they ding you even on tax free stuff.

I picked up my 5200 off ebay. Shipped to the northeast US was about $20 via USPS, and that included shipping the 5200 in its original box!

I've seen that auction and a few others with shipping estimates over $50 and thought those seem way too high. Might be worth trying to contact the seller through ebay about the shipping costs. If the shipping scared everyone off and the seller is willing to change the shipping costs you might score a pretty good deal.

My lord , did he put it as 100 pounds ?? I recently shipped a 39 pound box to Texas through UPS and it was 27.00 . There is noway that 5200 weighs anything near 39 pounds .

we shipped 2 master systems back and fourth in one box and it was like 9 something each way lol