IGNORED

1400XL Deal or no Deal

Frankie

That the one that was doing the rounds the last few days on the AA facebook page. Someone pointed out that another recent listing went for more than $5,000. So at the moment I'd say it was a good deal.

Despite the obviously aftermarket badge, this one contains PSU and RF cable which I don't think the other did.

That the one that was doing the rounds the last few days on the AA facebook page. Someone pointed out that another recent listing went for more than $5,000. So at the moment I'd say it was a good deal.

Despite the obviously aftermarket badge, this one contains PSU and RF cable which I don't think the other did.

Just a bit of added clarification, per an update to the listing from the seller:

On Aug-14-16 at 15:50:43 PDT, seller added the following information:

Crazycalifornian messaged me that the power supply I have is not the one for the 1400XL. He said it was for the 800 only. So I am not going to plug it in again because I don't want to do any damage to the 1400. I will keep it and sell it with the 800. Just wanted to keep everyone informed.

Per AtariMuseum:

Note: For those collectors who have been able to obtain a 1400XL or 1450XLD computer and have wondered why their system is missing the labels on them, the reason for this according to a source at the old Atari Store stated: People were pulling systems out of the garbage from Atari, bringing them back to the store and requesting refunds, Atari got wind of this and decided to have the labels removed on all "XL" merchandise, not just the 1400's and 1450's that was to be thrown out or sold so that it could not be brought back for refunds.

--Tim

Just a bit of added clarification, per an update to the listing from the seller:

On Aug-14-16 at 15:50:43 PDT, seller added the following information:

Crazycalifornian messaged me that the power supply I have is not the one for the 1400XL. He said it was for the 800 only. So I am not going to plug it in again because I don't want to do any damage to the 1400. I will keep it and sell it with the 800. Just wanted to keep everyone informed.

The power supply in EBay picture is not an 800 power supply. The DIN plug is a giveaway there. Regardless though, it appears to be the infamous XL ingot version -- so probably not a good idea to use it anyway.

s-l500.jpg

Edited by Brentarian
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I stumbled upon this when doing a search for Atari 8-Bit Prototypes...

Atari 8-Bit Prototype Collection

atari+prototype+collection.png

Four amazing even though untested Atari prototypes in good cosmetic condition can be bought via this Atari Prototypes eBay auction.
If you can find the necessary money, you'll be the proud owner of the following prototypes: Atari 1450XLD (never released officially),
Atari 1400XL (never released officially), Atari 1200 (evolved into the Atari 1200XL) and Atari 1090 XL Expansion System (never released officially).
Seller ships worldwide.
POSTED BY GNOME AT 5/10/2012

Apparently it was up for auction at eBay in 2012, but when checking the listing doesn't appear to have been sold. It shows '0 bids' which seems unlikely. Anybody know what the story is? Did someone actually get all 4 systems?

Afair, Curt Vendel sold most of this hardware to the german guy who tried to sell it via ebay. But they had an agreement, that if he ever wanted to get rid of the hardware he should return it to Curt again. So I guess it was not sold via ebay, but simply returned to Curt...

There was a topic about this auction here on AA and thanks to this topic, Curt became aware of it...

• Like 3

Afair, Curt Vendel sold most of this hardware to the german guy who tried to sell it via ebay. But they had an agreement, that if he ever wanted to get rid of the hardware he should return it to Curt again. So I guess it was not sold via ebay, but simply returned to Curt...

There was a topic about this auction here on AA and thanks to this topic, Curt became aware of it...

Thanks for the info :) Do you by any chance have a link to that topic on AA you mentioned?

- Michael

Thank you FJC :) It made for an interesting read.

A quote from that topic...

...I plan to make exact replica's of the 1090 XL's.... I have all of the schematics and mechanical drawings.

I think Curt was a bit too optimistic when he made that statement, but it would have been interesting if it had happened. Although I think Dropcheck has been thinking about doing this very same thing.

- Michael