IGNORED

Atari800MacX macOS Sierra sound not working

Fletch

Well, I got an used Macbook Pro 2015 with a newly installed El Capitan. I installed Logic 9 and then upgraded to Sierra.

I play music and get no crash. Do you have some plugins installed?

Just the Apple ones, and all of them pass Apple's first-load plug-in audit. Nothing here has changed in my Logic setup since I bought it years ago. I'm a hobbyist, not a pro. Everything there is overkill for what I do but the power and flexibility is unparalleled.

Anyway, it's all moot for me. I'm done with trying to make it work - at some point this summer I even wiped my drive, reinstalled El Cap from scratch, updated to Sierra, reinstalled Logic Pro from scratch from the App Store ... and it still crashes. I've also still experienced graphical corruption and glitches since two builds ago again ... They went away and now came back. I'm very concerned that changes to the graphical system and video drivers in Sierra are pushing this ancient hardware too far. It's only got 256MB of dedicated video RAM on the discrete GPU and it just can't handle what Sierra is doing. Too bad. I probably need to downgrade back to El Cap and call it good. Or better yet, find a few thousand bucks under a mattress in a couple months whenever the long-awaited new MBP's are finally released.

But hey, Auria Pro for iOS was on sale for 50% off last weekend - $25 for a 48 track solid state recording/MIDI sequencing system complete and pro-level plug-in support is impossible to beat.

Edited by DrVenkman

• 7 months later...

Long discussion, but still no solution?

If you read the whole thread, the problem is that Atari800MacX is just obsolete under current versions of OS X. So, no solution until and unless someone can rewrite the portions of the code that use the deprecated sound libraries and recompile. So far, no one has stepped up to the task.

Yes, that's what I mean. No solution yet. Too bad. Altirra is quite annoying, compared to Atari800MacX.

As someone who used Atari800MacX for a number of years, I tend to agree. I was a "Mac guy" from almost 14 years and although Altirra runs under CrossOver/WINE, the configuration menus make me CRAZY. It's a wonderful emulator and by far the most full-featured, it seems to me, but I would kill for a single configuration window with tabs for each set of options, and all accessible without the repeated visits to multiple drop-down windows over and over and over ... Much like Atari800MacX has available, as a matter of fact.

However, even with that jarring (to Mac people) series of menus, it's fantastic - I can emulate my real hardware, complete with mods like the U1MB and its particular firmware/OS/BASIC combinations, and use or test it as needed even when I don't have access to my Atari machines. I'll tolerate the UI for all the amazing features.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

RetroArch now has an atari800 core that on Mac has audio under High Sierra...

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/atari800-core-improvements/

It does not work as the standalone emulator - per game configuration and os selection is thru the retroarch interface (and more limited than the old standalone emulator) not the emulator interface (which exists but is not properly functional in some odd ways) but I have had success with all the game ATR files I have thrown at it...

sTeVE

• Like 1

It's so sad Altirra has such an uncomfortable interface. It really is enough reason for me to not use it (under Wine). I guess Windows users are more used to uncomfortable user interfaces ?

I use emulation just to check out something quickly, don't do anything else with it.....original,hardware for me....

• Like 1

Where does one pickup a version of Atari800 compiled for OSX

I'd highly recommend building your own. The process is medium difficulty (easy for a seasoned atari user) and it opens up a whole world of linux software you can use.

Get Xcode from the app store, it's free.

Install Homebrew from https://brew.sh/

brew install sdl autoconf automake

download the latest atari800 source from https://github.com/atari800/atari800/archive/master.zip

unzip

cd src
autoconf
./configure
make
sudo make install

typing atari800 at a terminal will now run the emulator

I set up an automator application that I associate with all atari filetypes and it runs a shell script to set the correct options based on my naming convention. I just double click an atari file to open the emulator and run it.

It's so sad Altirra has such an uncomfortable interface. It really is enough reason for me to not use it (under Wine). I guess Windows users are more used to uncomfortable user interfaces ?

I use emulation just to check out something quickly, don't do anything else with it.....original,hardware for me....

If you think Altirras is uncomfortable I can't wait for you to try the atari800 interface!

I wish there was a mac/linux version of alterra, no ui just command line options and sdl2. even if he dropped all the monitor stuff and just made a core emulator Id be over the moon. Alterra on a raspberry pi would be a game changer!

• Like 2

Hi!

If you think Altirras is uncomfortable I can't wait for you to try the atari800 interface!

I really like the interface of atari800 emulator, mainly because every option is reachable with a few keystrokes, no mouse/touchpad required, it's like being back to the text-mode interfaces that I lied so much before complicated GUIs...

I wish there was a mac/linux version of alterra, no ui just command line options and sdl2. even if he dropped all the monitor stuff and just made a core emulator Id be over the moon. Alterra on a raspberry pi would be a game changer!

Porting Altirra would not be easy, as it relies in a lot of windows functionality, and you would need to keep pace with the amazing development skills and speed of Phaeron ;)

Hi!

I really like the interface of atari800 emulator, mainly because every option is reachable with a few keystrokes, no mouse/touchpad required, it's like being back to the text-mode interfaces that I lied so much before complicated GUIs...

Porting Altirra would not be easy, as it relies in a lot of windows functionality, and you would need to keep pace with the amazing development skills and speed of Phaeron ;)

I like the Atari800 interface too, I wish the command line switches matched the ui options and some of the options weren't nested quite so deep but its a nice functional text interface. Most Windows/Mac users find it kind of complicated though.

If Phaeron doesn't write an Altirra port, it'll probably never happen. Maybe he could be incentivized with a patreon or kickstarter?

Thanks Mr Robot - I am not familiar with homebrew I will take a look.

Altirra under wine is no different from the windows version - so easy to use and configure, but distinctly windows and very much not OS X

With Atari800 and a shell script wrapped in an automator action I am able to just double click on any atari file and have it launched in a sensible way with added smarts based on the filename switches. It's about as macOS (OS X has been renamed) as it gets without code changes.

Someone could make the changes needed to create an .app bundle with sdl included and menu/common keystroke/filetype association support I suppose. I always found the floating palettes with aqua buttons and skeuomorphic drives in A8MacX a bit of a pointless mess tbh

• Like 2

I do like the Atari800 interface - nice and simple and standard across all platforms...

I have Altirra as an app setup under wine with XEX, ATR etc all associated with it, so just double click a file and off it goes - so it’s pretty seamless even for a non native application.

I will give compiling Atari800 a go too - always good to have options!

One good thing about RetroArch now having an Atari800 core is that I can play games on my Sony (Android) TV without any extra hardware cluttering up the sitting room [emoji38]

sTeVE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Jetboot Jack
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd highly recommend building your own. The process is medium difficulty (easy for a seasoned atari user) and it opens up a whole world of linux software you can use.

Get Xcode from the app store, it's free.

Install Homebrew from https://brew.sh/

brew install sdl autoconf automake

download the latest atari800 source from https://github.com/atari800/atari800/archive/master.zip

unzip

cd src
autoconf
./configure
make
sudo make install

typing atari800 at a terminal will now run the emulator

I set up an automator application that I associate with all atari filetypes and it runs a shell script to set the correct options based on my naming convention. I just double click an atari file to open the emulator and run it.

Hey, it's more easier now, btw.

Just install brew and then go like

brew install atari800

Then edit paths to your Atari ROM files and upper the window resolution (1344x960 works excellent for me) in /Users/username/.atari800.cfg file and you're done.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been playing around with getting Atari800MacX compiled and working under current OS and using SDL 2. I've cleared up a great many compilation errors, and there is still a lot of code adaption required for SDL2. I've been slowly working through these. Anyone interested in helping? I did try to get Atari800 emulator to compile but it has its own fair share of fixes needed.

• Like 8

Hello Ripdubski

If you were a beautiful young woman, I'd kiss you for this.

THANKS!!!! We really need a working Atari 8 bit emulator for the current Version of MacOS.

Sincerely

Mathy (10.13.5 bèta (17F59b))