IGNORED

MADS in Visual Studio Code

mirao

• 2 years later...

Was playing with the MADS syntax file again the other day and was wondering how difficult it would be to implement code outlining (for me, very, it turns out, once I'd read up on extensions). I've kind of gotten used to WUDSN's excellent outlining feature but while Eclipse continues to bloat up and slow down, VS Code is fast and pretty.

• 3 weeks later...

Was playing with the MADS syntax file again the other day and was wondering how difficult it would be to implement code outlining (for me, very, it turns out, once I'd read up on extensions). I've kind of gotten used to WUDSN's excellent outlining feature but while Eclipse continues to bloat up and slow down, VS Code is fast and pretty.

i have found mirao's plugin to VSC couple months ago and it is not very sophisticated, since it is only code highlighter.

I have been looking into VSC documentation on how to define language dependent code folding (.proc, .local ... etc) and it was too much for my brain. It would require more studying than I expected. VCS is based on some JS and/or other script ... nothing I am fan of.

So I keep using PSPad with my own highlighter (it's a bit different to one that is distributed in MADS package, but only a bit).

• 2 years later...
On 10/28/2018 at 2:09 PM, flashjazzcat said:

Was playing with the MADS syntax file again the other day and was wondering how difficult it would be to implement code outlining (for me, very, it turns out, once I'd read up on extensions).

Had another look at this:

Capture.thumb.PNG.1c7d9efdc5614c161d0b40708c219ba3.PNG

My main problems are a) not being very good at Javascript (Typescript), and b) the VS Code documentation being mediocre. I'd like to extend this to handle folding, etc, but simply having the outline makes VS Code basically usable for my massive MADS projects.

Edited by flashjazzcat
Corrected language name (thanks Dan)

13 minutes ago, danwinslow said:

I assume you meant Javascript there. No relation between the two, completely different things. I hate them both, but at least Java is an actual language. I'm trying to decipher the 'vscode language server' stuff now and yeah docs are kind of mediocre at best.

Yeah; specifically this is Typescript, which is a superset of Javascript. I lack the experience to give a verdict on the pros and cons of Java vs. Javascript. :)

1 hour ago, flashjazzcat said:

Yeah; specifically this is Typescript, which is a superset of Javascript. I lack the experience to give a verdict on the pros and cons of Java vs. Javascript. :)

Well, at least Java has proper strict typing, whereas Javascript is a complete and utter mess. Javascript has two ways to check for equality. (a==b) or (a===b). The first means a equals b, the second means a equals b slightly more ;) 

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, ivop said:

Well, at least Java has proper strict typing, whereas Javascript is a complete and utter mess. Javascript has two ways to check for equality. (a==b) or (a===b). The first means a equals b, the second means a equals b slightly more ;) 

Yep - I utterly despise any language that lets 1+1 = 2, sometimes 1+1 = 11, 1 + "hi" = "1hi", etc.  That's just the tip of the iceberg.  It's so fun to debug.  Does 1 > 2 = "false" (string), false (boolean) - who knows?  Who needs type safety.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Irgendwer said:

I'm willing to see JavaScript in better light. Especially JSON, while Douglas Crockford was quite productive on our machine:
https://a8.fandal.cz/search.php?search=Crockford&butt_details_x=x

?

JSON is data transport, not language, and I like it too. I didn't mean to say you couldn't be productive in javascript, I said it's not a 'real' language, by which I mean complete. It's great for small glue and so forth and whipping stuff up, but try doing a large, complex development project with multiple programmers in it and you'll see what I mean. The build chains for large javascript projects are packed full of linters and ECMA script rule enforcers for a reason, and any schmoe who feels like it can break an interface contract by randomly adding items, the language does not care and will never tell you until you get a runtime failure. The type conversion issues are numerous and bizarre, and any language that actually needs a '===' operator is broken. You CAN do lots of things in it, but its more painful and dangerous than it needs to be. It does not do what an actual language should do -- be consistent, enforce contracts, provide actual threading constructs, and many other things. All my opinion, of course, but that's what I think.

*edit*

and thus the push for Typescript. It goes a long way, but still kind of lipstick on a pig. There's tons of libraries you can get that add utilities and add structure to javascript but that's kind of my point - the language itself is just not well designed and not complete. All the linters and structure/feature addition libraries are there because the language itself. Of course you can do stuff with it, but looked at as a formal computer language it's lacking.

*last edit* sorry for the opinionated rant, and I'll stop derailing now.

Edited by danwinslow
  • Like 1

Python ???   :)

I only wish I could re-configure Visual Studio Code, I initially set it up to try the Raspberry Pi Pico,

it installed and compiled all the examples after much hair pulling (not much left to pull)

but for the life of me I can't find how to get it out of the Pico example project, I can't even make it

see a simple test program and compile it, it just keep doing the Pico examples.

Help seems to be of no help.

For now I'm sticking with Sublime Text 3