IGNORED

Mini Arcade Alert!

simbalion

I just picked this up at Toys R Us this evening. A Pac-Man mini arcade made by Basic Fun for $16.99. It's LCD, but has the actual sounds from the arcade and even has the chase game mode the Coleco mini arcades had. My only nitpicks are that I wish they made the Pac-Man in it a bit bigger, the joystick is a bit stiff, and you only start with two lives! Also, the ghosts flash when you eat a power pellet, making them hard to locate at times. Even so, this game has had me sweating a couple times already and it will school you pretty well. Just like the original, it seems hard to get past the second round! It uses two AA batteries and I placed a AA beside it in the picture for size reference.

post-8339-0-13964000-1471393595_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Ok, I have noticed an issue with mine. It has a couple dead spots in the LCD. One number in the player score area doesn't 'light up' all the way and Pac-Man and the ghosts briefly disappear in a couple spots. Of course, mine was the last one available at the store and it's possible someone either knocked it onto the floor once or I just got the one with the glitch. Oh well, at the price I can live with it. It appears a Space Invaders version is on the way as well. If nothing else, I'll buy a spare Pac-Man. :)

Ok, now to back myself up on this game.

After playing it for a while now, I've gotten more used to its quirks. Actually, that's something you have to do for any game. The joystick is now more responsive and now compares well with the controls on my Coleco Pac-Man mini arcade. Whether it's the true arcade cab or a handheld game, old Pac-Man always seems to have that habit of suddenly going where you don't want him to! Another plus is that this Pac-Man doesn't rely on the same MGA design and sounds that have been rehashed several times over the decades. Of course, the fact it uses the true sounds from the arcade is a super plus and those sounds don't start to get annoying like the ones on the Coleco version can.

I pulled out my Coleco Mini Arcade to compare to this and I'd say this unit compares quite favorably to it. It's basically an LCD version of the Coleco unit in a more compact form and with the true arcade sounds. I can recall how disappointed I was with some of the versions over the years that claimed to be true to the arcade in sound. If you are into anything Pac-Man or are looking for a nice little time waster, I don't think you can really go wrong with this for the price. My only nitpick now is that you only get two lives instead of the standard three, but that just adds to the challenge! :)

• Like 1

Well, I can see the excitement for this is basically going over like a lead balloon... Maybe I need to find another forum to share things on? I at least thought there would be SOME interest, not a bunch of snobbery.

Just ignore the snobbish "da'fuk" commentary. The internet is jam-packed with those types.

As far as the game itself goes? I'm not a big Pac-Man fan. I can barely make it to the 3rd board in the arcade version. So it's a definite pass for me.

Well, I can see the excitement for this is basically going over like a lead balloon... Maybe I need to find another forum to share things on? I at least thought there would be SOME interest, not a bunch of snobbery.

It's not personal, no one would have thought your ego would have been wrapped up in a toy purchase. It's not like it's your own creation, right?

So, LCD. Is it a dot matrix display like a GameBoy, or static images like ancient Tiger Electronics type things?

I'm not sure how it's "snobby" to wonder how a recreation of a (still fun) 35yo game using (obsolete) 30yo technology makes sense. A little color LCD screen wouldn't cost a whole lot more, but would be a lot more impressive and interesting.

Actually, MGA did do a color version of the game several years back. Of course, doing color would mean the game would also have to be backlit, increasing the price and the drain on the batteries.

As far as the snobbish bit goes, I was a bit taken aback by the reaction to the game. I mean, like all stuff, it has its flaws but is overall a fun piece. The number of negative comments basically shocked me. A couple made sense of course. One being a member not being able to see the small screens. That makes sense. Also Keatah mentioned not really being into Pac-Man, which also makes sense. If you're not into it, fine. But, let's not start this WTF nonsense.

Edited by simbalion

This is actually kinda neat for what it is. Of all the LCD Pac-Man games I've seen throughout the years, maze is the most accurate looking of 'em all. And original sounds too? Like the artwork on the bezel and general design all around. I'll probably purchase one, if not just to add it to my collection of Pac goodies.

post-13896-0-37309200-1471478650_thumb.jpg

...If it weren't for things like this, the occasional Flashback system or nieces/nephews to buy for, I too would have no real reason to shop at a place like Toys R Us, so thanks for the heads up! :)

• Like 7

I sincerely doubt having a custom lcd manufactured cost any less than a 2.something inch tft from china these days

And as far as battery life ... yes led backlights suck a freaking ton of power, thsts why you were seeing tft lcd keychains for 99 cents lasting an entire day on a single charge 10 years ago

Edited by Osgeld

..... A couple made sense of course. One being a member not being able to see the small screens. That makes sense. Also Keatah mentioned not really being into Pac-Man, which also makes sense. If you're not into it, fine. But, let's not start this WTF nonsense.

C....a....n...'....t

r....e.....s....i....s....t.....!.....!......!

WTF!

That actually reminds me of the 80's pacman watch I have kicking around here somewhere. Id see about picking one up if I see one. Neat that it looks like a baby arcade. Reminds me of those coleco vfd arcades from the 80's.

Thanks for the heads up I'll keep an eye out.

Oh yeah. A second for more action lice or possible video of it in action.

Edited by Video

The only disappointing aspect about this machine is the non-color screen. Surely display technology has improved sufficiently to offer color screens with reasonable power draws.

The Coleco and Tomy Pac-Man units take four C batteries, suggesting that its electronics and VFD display consumed a lot of power. Surely an extra AA would not be a huge imposition for color!

Surely it'd be cheaper to get a color LCD from bazillion Chinese sources and code the graphics in than to have to make custom LCD with fixed display? Those used to make sense back in 80s and 90s when LCD were still expensive and white LED wasn't available cheaply yet for backlighting. Reflective LCD were largely limited to black and white to be cheap.