IGNORED

Mini Arcade Alert!

simbalion

So I just went to Toys R Us and they had the "cracker barrel" games there.. I finally picked up Ms. Pac & Galaxian, the 2 that I was missing. :)

On another note.. I noticed they had a Double Dragon plug&play.. anyone ever see those? The darn thing when you look at the back is just NES Double Dragon of course. :lol:

Why regrettably? I think the Cracker Barrel ones are awesome. Yeah they're not "perfect" but there isn't any shortage of "perfect" emulation options out there.. heck people put Rpi's in Coleco handhelds.. and those are great. But I like the fact that these are full standalone miniature recreations (and not also not a lazy NOAC port :lol:).

In my mind they're the 2017 version of this :)

attachicon.gifimage1.jpg

Regrettably in that they don't appear to be making more in this caliber. Yeah the pacman one is golden. I'd easily pay $40 for a slightly larger encloser with improved joystick. The manufacturers came up with a good design, now they want to cheapen it with noac chips. I hate it when something great comes out, then a newer version comes along that pales in comparison. It seems the newer games are scraping the bottom in terms of quality again.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I just completed the set. Got Qbert a few weeks ago. Got Asteroids and Centipede as christmas presents. Today went out in search of the remaining 3. I found Space Invaders and Frogger instantly. First walmart I went to. It took me 2 hours of hitting any an all walmarts I came across to get Pacman. Was about to give up and I found the last remaining Pacman mini arcade. It wasnt with the others. Which were all in stock, EVERYWHERE and including this onem which was the 5th walmart at this point. I was happy. I drove home the entire way thinking how cool these things will look all lined up on my shelf.

I was also thinking how cool it would be to have the coleco mini arcades return. But I guess these are good enough and will have to do. I like em. They arent bad and are very reminiscent of the coleco mini arcades. Same vaccuum what ever the =##$#@ tech. And thats when it hit me. As cool as mine were for replicating the coleco mini arcades, Canada got shafted. US walmarts got same mini arcades. Just WAY BETTER. Same line up. Just both line ups appear different. Pacman played the same but was just in color. Qbert seems like its packing an emulator. Mine is primitive shit. Centipede also looks and plays like the arcade version where as mine plays exactly like it would have had coleco released it the same time as original mini arcades. And all joysticks are centred but have same shell and stickers aswell as buttons.

Really wish we got the same gameplay. We got the games, just differrnt versions of them. Walmart canada sucks. Guess its better than nothing.

Had an epic game of Pacman the other night. Hit the s3cond melon stage and scored over 32k points. Will post screenshot later. I noticed there's very little to no ramp up in difficulty as you progress in stages, and it starts a bit slow to begin. A few other things are off, no "cruise elroy" mode as you eliminate pellets, and samples sometimes play back incorrectly. When you hit a wall, the sprite keeps munching instead of stops. Also the cutscene with large pacman is blurry with scaling artifacts as if they expanded the sprite. Overall it's still a decent port and fun but behind the scenes doesn't work quite like the arcade.

UPDATE WITH PIC:

post-33189-0-32412000-1514431882_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kosmic Stardust
  • Like 1

I've not touched mine in awhile, they just sit on the desk. I've actually gotten fairly put off by the entire line and angry at the treatment I've been getting at the Walmarts locally. They keep listing ever so often a couple of them in stock, interestingly in most cases the closest store. But when I go in I can't find anyone to help me find them, even once a douchy supervisor gave me a gruff line of crap that if they weren't out then they were likely being bought or stolen and he wouldn't waste his time looking in back either to just don't bother. Mostly it's just not looking it up, walking off, or saying they don't want to look in the back or don't have the time. Fine I get it's the designers not shipping that many for whatever asinine reason, but this crap has been going on since October now. I'm teetering on taking a bundled picture of the things back in their original boxes and packing I kept on a high shelf and dumping the shit up on ebay.

• Like 2

I've not touched mine in awhile, they just sit on the desk. I've actually gotten fairly put off by the entire line and angry at the treatment I've been getting at the Walmarts locally. They keep listing ever so often a couple of them in stock, interestingly in most cases the closest store. But when I go in I can't find anyone to help me find them...

At the couple of Wal-Marts I've been to lately, the mini arcades are kept on the bottom shelf of a toy aisle. Star Wars toy aisle to be exact...

• Like 1

Yeah that's how they are around here except when they had that big cardboard standee around with multiple shelves during Nov/Dec for time of the year sales. I can find any of them but those 2.

I've got spare boxes from christmas, considering just boxing the 4 up I do have and selling them as a bundle on ebay. I'm pissed off and put off by the whole thing at this rate and if they can't supply them in good numbers after 2 months now it's like why bother as walmart rudeness and their incompetence makes you think they don't care if they get bought. All the while scalping scum have them online for twice the price.

Santa was good to me, er, I mean good to my son, wink. He got all 4 of the Tiny Arcades (Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Space Invaders, Galaxian) and 5 of the Walmart/Basic Fun...(Frogger, Qbert, Centipede, Joust, Rampage). Space Invaders is my all time favorite arcade game so that one is really cool for me. And I love how the marquees light up on the Tiny versions. Overall though, we like the Wallyworld games the best. My favorites are Joust and Frogger, my wife and son seem to like Centipede the best. I can see collecting more :)

I'm thinking of photographing and selling the mini arcade games I have. I'm so let down and furious at both walmart and the company that I just have had the fun sucked out of it entirely. ANyone interested in a bundle? All complete in box, light use, asteroids, centipede, frogger, and qbert all the NOAC versions.

• 3 weeks later...

I took the battery cover off, removed the screws, but not sure how to proceed. I want to get it apart without breaking it so I can re3assemble it at some point. Are there just plastic clips holding it in at that point. I have Galaxian, Space Invaders and Pacman.

Plastic clips. I didn't break anything getting my mini Space Invaders open and reassembled, even with large fingers and nearsightedness.

I didn't remove any of the internal stuff.

4 wires, 4 tiny solder points = Micro-mini cabinet with 4 games.

P. S. This Tiny Arcade, "official licensed TAITO product" is my favorite out of all these recent small arcade machine games, despite the small LED screen & low FPS ( which means space invaders plays the best ).

I just keep coming back to it again and again.

LOL just noticed it's copyright 2017 Super Impulse Limited

I can see the Crystal. Somebody please put a faster one in there and see if it overClock without ruining the sound and speeding up the gameplay to much. I just want better frames per second!

I changed my mind about thinking about it to committing. Took some fantastic clean images then boxed the 4 of them back up as they came and put them in a box with the packing ready to go. Once ebay fires off another free 50 they're going bye bye. All that remains now is my little mini arcade galaxian which is cool. I feel better about it already. At this rate if I ever find Rampage locally, I hope it's at a flea market under $20 as a nice middle finger to walmart and the bridge direct.

Now to wait on the better stuff from My Arcade, they just announced a week ago NAMCO machines -- Digdug(meh) Pac-Man (nice) and Galaga (yah!) I'd take clearly 2 of those (or if they did a multi, that one.) :D

I can see the Crystal. Somebody please put a faster one in there and see if it overClock without ruining the sound and speeding up the gameplay to much. I just want better frames per second!

You will increase the pitch of all the audio samples if the entire board is run by a single clock. If there's multiple clocks, you may glitch something or lose sync, ie between display and cpu.

Now to wait on the better stuff from My Arcade, they just announced a week ago NAMCO machines -- Digdug(meh) Pac-Man (nice) and Galaga (yah!) I'd take clearly 2 of those (or if they did a multi, that one.) :D

I was disappointed they didn't say much at CES - if anything - about the 10" versions they're supposedly working on. They had said previously there was a larger 10" version of Burger Time with arcade ROMs in the works. The Burger Time they currently sell is smaller and has NES ROMs. I really like the looks of the Burger Time. They also showed Mappy which looked sweet as well.

• Like 1

Plastic clips. I didn't break anything getting my mini Space Invaders open and reassembled, even with large fingers and nearsightedness.

I didn't remove any of the internal stuff.

4 wires, 4 tiny solder points = Micro-mini cabinet with 4 games.

P. S. This Tiny Arcade, "official licensed TAITO product" is my favorite out of all these recent small arcade machine games, despite the small LED screen & low FPS ( which means space invaders plays the best ).

I just keep coming back to it again and again.

LOL just noticed it's copyright 2017 Super Impulse Limited

Yeah, I kinda jumped the gun, right after posting, I grabbed a spudger from my phone repair kit and was able to get into it after a bit of tinkering. I just wanted to get in, I need to get the soldering iron, solder, wires, etc to do this. I wouldn't expect too many people will be tinkering with it to improve gameplay as it's more a novelty than a game expected to be all that playable.