IGNORED

Mini Arcade Alert!

simbalion

It shouldn't be a problem unless one allows it to be since these are the arcade games, not NES versions.

Very belatedly it occurs to me that Bad Dudes was actually one of the very few NES games to botch this:

post-43158-0-40115100-1529437812_thumb.jpg

I'm still chalking it up as a mistake... as time passes I'm actually a little irritated that they didn't bother to alphabetize the games, either

Pak-Attack was the Tetris style dropping blocks puzzle where you had to eat the ghosts. Never heard of Pac Panic.

Pacman 2 The New Adventures was a point and click style adventure game for the SNES / Genesis.

Pac Panic is just the Japanese name of Pac Attack. Pretty fun game actually. I wonder if they will use the Genesis versions of these two... it's probably not the best one.

In other news, Replicade's third machine (after Centipede and Tempest, assuming any of these actually come out) will be Street Fighter 2: Championship Edition, of all things... seems like an odd choice if they could have just as easily done Hyper Fighting, but at least it has an extra controller for 1v1?

• Like 1

Very belatedly it occurs to me that Bad Dudes was actually one of the very few NES games to botch this:

attachicon.gifbad.JPG

I'm still chalking it up as a mistake... as time passes I'm actually a little irritated that they didn't bother to alphabetize the games, either

Pac Panic is just the Japanese name of Pac Attack. Pretty fun game actually. I wonder if they will use the Genesis versions of these two... it's probably not the best one.

In other news, Replicade's third machine (after Centipede and Tempest, assuming any of these actually come out) will be Street Fighter 2: Championship Edition, of all things... seems like an odd choice if they could have just as easily done Hyper Fighting, but at least it has an extra controller for 1v1?

Interesting to note. Glad Pac Panic is coming. It is a fun game. Be ready to record your passwords for level progression.

As far as Bad Dudes is concerned, was the control scheme in the game actually backwards, or was it a misprint in the manual? I had Bad Dudes once a long, long time ago but traded it in because I thought it sucked. Been so long but I don't actually remember if the controls were switched or not.

Well...the tiny arcade titles finally showed up in our Walmart. Hard to pass them up, actually. But pass them up I did. I must be learning my lesson. I sure like that mixed arcade pic with the action figures, lol. At least the cabinets have different shapes. And the Data East ones? 40 bux for just one game, and not in scale with the others. Fun, but will just end up being another novelty I will have to sell down the road at a loss.

Well...the tiny arcade titles finally showed up in our Walmart. Hard to pass them up, actually. But pass them up I did.

Wait.. you're saying the "Tiny Arcade" Galaga/Dig-Dug/Frogger showed up? I was thinking they weren't out yet.

Or did you mean the bigger "My Arcade" ones with the NES games on it? Those are plentiful at Walmarts at the moment.

• Like 1

Wait.. you're saying the "Tiny Arcade" Galaga/Dig-Dug/Frogger showed up? I was thinking they weren't out yet.

Or did you mean the bigger "My Arcade" ones with the NES games on it? Those are plentiful at Walmarts at the moment.

Sorry, not the new ones...the old stuff, Ms Pac and the rest. I'm in Canada. I haven't seen them in the wild until the other day. The bigger, LCD looking ones like Qbert have been the only ones I've seen. And the Data East ones, they're only at Toys R Us here.

Alphabetize? That's borderline ocd territory... :roll:

Seems common sense to me... you open up any collection of 30+ retro games and they're typically going to be sorted. I mean for some "Company X Classic Collection" etc sort of game compilation. On a pre-built MAME cab or a Chinese multicart or whatever, you're liable to see 100+, or even over a thousand, unsorted games. It's kind of a bootleg way of doing things...

I just loaded up Bad Dudes NES -- B jumps & A punch and kicks

So yes the game is intentionally backwards if you feel that way about it. It never bothered me before.

So... I guess on the Bad Dudes micro cab, the game itself swaps the usual A & B functions, but the cab swaps A & B again, so it ends up canceling out? :lol:

• Like 1

It either comes later, or Namco didn't want it to happen (yet/at all) but it is on an existing board. It just will be doing as people did with Joust and hack up a cabinet for it. You'll just need a system with a 2 button array like Rampage and transplant the NOAC board in there, or get creative and make some mods to whichever cab it hides inside of.

If you're desparate to play Rolling Thunder, or Gauntlet or whatever the hidden Tengen game was on the Namco pcbs, you can access the pcb and remove the solder bridge off all three jumpers. But this game requires two buttons to play and the Namco games currently only have one, except Pacman which has none.

Of the available Data East cabs, all of which use two physical buttons, for Burger Time you only need one of them. So you'll have to remove the pcb from the Namco arcade, remove the solder off the jumper pads or mod it with DIP switches, then transplant it to any dual button Data East cabinet to play the locked away game. If you choose Burgertime as the donor, go ahead and put the Burgertime pcb in the old Galaga or Dig Dug cab so you can continue to use it. It's quite frankly more effort than it's worth to have to mutilate two cabs in order to play one game.

Also the cab sidewall profiles don't exactly match between the Namco cabs and Data East cabs, so any attempt at swapping off the artwork between cabs is a bad idea.

I've heard there might be a license issue with the Williams games, so if you are collecting you might wanna go get Rampage and Joust now. Also due to this dispute, Defender #09 is indefinitely delayed.

Thanks for the info,glad I picked them up!

Latest addition to my collection, with totally random and unrelated product placement. Deadpool approved. :evil:

post-33189-0-83197900-1529792210_thumb.jpg

[Click image for full view]

Quite faithful recreation of the VFD Coleco Minicade. Plays much better than the monochrome LCD version. Amazing how much a better joystick and sharper contrast can do. Also I do get three lives this time. :grin:

There is a metric ton of work going into setting this up. Is there some way to simply flash a pre-burned image to the internal flash like you would a Raspberry Pi? Even if ROMs aren't included due to copyright?

On the Pi you could simply flash the OS that someone else preconfigured to a MicroSD, then load ROMs through a flash drive. Even Retro Pie was a pain though setting up MAME to work with samples for the games that needed it. I had to create a samples directory then point to it in the configuration file.

I built a 13" tall Porta Pi some years ago out of a wood kit I sanded, stained and finished myself. It turned out beautiful but software installation and configuration was more challenging for me than the actual hardware build process. Worth it in the end though.

I think I'm just going to reinstall a newer version of Retro Pie on it rather than try to modify the Data East Arcade. Currently the sd card is corrupted so it's inoperable as I never got around to fixing it. And it has a real arcade joystick I can reach under the panel to set between 4-way and 8-way.

And I loathe command line interfaces. Fortunately I installed Rasbian OS so I could make most of the necessary settings tweaks using the text editor.

As a final note, I watched you play Donkey Kong on there. My PiMame had audio pops too while playing Donkey Kong, and as well the audio was laggy. I think the popping has something to do with playing back audio samples.

raspberry_pi_arcade__dk_playing_dk_by_st

https://kosmic-stardust.deviantart.com/art/Raspberry-Pi-Arcade-DK-playing-DK-535882030

Build your own here:

http://www.retrobuiltgames.com/the-build-page/porta-pi-arcade-kit/

There is a metric ton of work going into setting this up. Is there some way to simply flash a pre-burned image to the internal flash like you would a Raspberry Pi? Even if ROMs aren't included due to copyright?

On the Pi you could simply flash the OS that someone else preconfigured to a MicroSD, then load ROMs through a flash drive. Even Retro Pie was a pain though setting up MAME to work with samples for the games that needed it. I had to create a samples directory then point to it in the configuration file.

And I loathe command line interfaces. Fortunately I installed Rasbian OS so I could make most of the necessary settings tweaks using the text editor.

If it were easy then everyone would do it, right? Not everything is drag and drop with GUI interfaces.

Edited by zenmechanic
  • Like 1

I've heard there might be a license issue with the Williams games, so if you are collecting you might wanna go get Rampage and Joust now. Also due to this dispute, Defender #09 is indefinitely delayed.

What is going on with Warner Games, anyway? They're pulling the rights to their pinball IP as well, and I want to know why. What do they have planned? Are they making their own games, negotiating for more lucrative licensing deals, or what?

Well I took the bate and ordered Mappy during my 3pm break after I got the email notification Friday. Galaxian and Mappy are heading in route from MyArcadeGaming, now I'll have the complete Namco Pentology of My Arcade mini cabs. Well I'm still missing Ms Pacman (preferably the Tengen variant). Can't have everything... :P

https://myarcadegaming.com/collections/mini-arcades/products/mappy-micro-player

https://myarcadegaming.com/collections/mini-arcades/products/galaxian-micro-player

$76 total including shipping, a bit spendy, but lord knows how long it will be before they are available for $24.88 at my local Walmart. They still don't have Heavy Barrel or Caveman Ninja yet, and those have been available for months online, albeit $35 msrp give or take.

As far as the dipswitch mod goes, my Dig Dug has been sitting on the table for a week now. I removed the jumpers but I now have all the games that are on it, save for the Rolling Thunder one.

I may proceed with the mod or just resolder the jumpers and reassemble the case, since adding the dipswitch won't actually gain access to anything I don't already own.

Work sucks for hobbies... :roll: