IGNORED

Mini Arcade Alert!

simbalion

Haven't posted in a while, but I recently purchased a Neo Geo Mini International. My unit is different from others I've seen in reviews, as it contains the International game set with the Japanese cabinet design. I shot a short video of me playing Magician Lord on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIX8ucIFFsk

Also worth pointing out is that my unit came with one sticker in the box, and surprisingly, it's G-Mantle. I believe this sticker was sold separately in Japan. G-Mantle has cameos in several games, of course, but I can't find any English promotional material featuring G-Mantle which makes me wonder why this sticker in particular came in the box. What confuses me is that G-Mantle isn't playable in any Neo Geo game, and is only a secret Striker in King of Fighters 2000.

b8K4WVR.jpg

But what is more surprising than the redesign is that I believe SNK fixed issues with previous versions. The screen brightness at max is perfect for me; I can see everything except some tiny text perfectly, despite playing it way down at my feet. The controls also feel spot on, both the Mini's stick and the external joypads (I opted for the $110 bundle with controllers and generic mini-HDMI cable, all packaged separately). I've never felt like I had more control in Metal Slug than when playing the Mini (I play the Neo Geo X handheld recently, and felt the microswitch controls to be inpercise for non-fighting games). I can do King of Fighters supers that I consistently on the Mini (the ones I know), though I haven't attempted to do Geese's pretzel super yet. Although it still does not have an internal battery, personally I LOVE having this thing powered on all day through my computer. And from the brief time I played in HDMI, it seemed the same as in earlier reviews, but mine came with a generic cable so I can't say for sure if the official cable would be any better. Does anyone else own one of these? And have access to the black International mini? I have not seen much discussion on my Mini anywhere.

Edited by ONLYUSEmeFEET

Is that really the NES Ms Pac Man? If it is then Tengen and Namco put out different games as that doesn't look like the black cart I own. Sky Kid and Mappy appear to more likely be their NES/FC counterparts though. For all we know for certain is nothing, but they could just be copycats newly done up, source ports but changed, or just oddly emulated.

The Tengen version is superior. It have full sized mazes, multiplayer options, and pac booster. It also got ported to genesis and snes. I wish thy could push the tengen version to my arcade and just hack the muliplayer option out of the menu like they did for the other games.

The Tengen version is superior. It have full sized mazes, multiplayer options, and pac booster. It also got ported to genesis and snes. I wish thy could push the tengen version to my arcade and just hack the muliplayer option out of the menu like they did for the other games.

I think it's the most faithful version, but unfortunately it scrolls for the bigger and arcade modes.

Also, its a terrible version of the arcade game, because it only has 32 levels (like all the other modes),

instead of endless play (or killscreen).

And they added in a 4th intermission to show 'the end' at level 32.

later

Namco's version of Ms. Pac-Man also felt like Now Production pretty much hacked the NES Pac-Man (or used its code) into Ms. Pac-Man. Some of the ghost behavior is closer to Pac-Man than Ms. Pac-Man.

Edited by BrianC

Namco's version of Ms. Pac-Man also felt like Now Production pretty much hacked the NES Pac-Man (or used its code) into Ms. Pac-Man. Some of the ghost behavior is closer to Pac-Man than Ms. Pac-Man.

I probed both ROMs for Pacman and Namco Ms Pacman back in the day. The code for the mazes is exactly the same in both ROMs. Ms Pacman also has 8 unused mazes in it which can be unlocked with a Game Genie. Several of them are asymmetric. The tile data from Pacman and Ms Pacman is exactly the same although Ms Pacman uses multicolor sprites. The maze data uses a character string to start the beginning of the maze, followed by a single byte indicating the number of pellets. From each tile in the maze is stored as 8 bits XXYYYYYY where YYYYYY is the location of the requested tile in the pallet table, and XX is run length compression to repeat the tile 1 to 4 times. NES Pacman and Namco Ms Pacman share this encoding scheme, so it is kind of obvious to anyone attempting to havk or disassemble the game, that Ms Pacman borrowed te same source code from Pacman. Both Tengen and Namco Pacman are identical, NROM 16kbytes PRG and 8kbytes CHR. Both Tengen and Namco Ms Pacman use NROM 32kbytes of ROM and 8kbytes of Chr, but the simularities end there. The Namco ROM was merely extended to 32kbytes to make room for the fruit logic and extra maze data.

Both "end" after 32 stages, though iirc the Namco version loops the mazes forever. Both are good, but Tengen is arcade accurate and has more options. It was also ported to 16 bit platforms, though I would imagine this superior unlicensed version is stuck in Copyright pergatory.

looks like the NES versions again.

Of course. Who could have predicted it would be yet another repackaging of NES on a chip and the same old NES versions of the game we've seen dozens of times. Except with the feature of it being isolated to that single game. Bonus! :lol:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx6O0jgDcMw/?igshid=1rt8cxeuimnv5

Of course. Who could have predicted it would be yet another repackaging of NES on a chip and the same old NES versions of the game we've seen dozens of times. Except with the feature of it being isolated to that single game. Bonus! :lol:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx6O0jgDcMw/?igshid=1rt8cxeuimnv5

pac-man was not the NES port. you never know:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/255982-mini-arcade-alert/page-27?do=findComment&comment=4091694

later

Edited by negative1

So bummed right now. Walmart NEVER gets the new My Arcade releases. I paid $35 for Ms Pacman (arrived last week) and see this for $25... :dunce:

20190528_134010.jpg

Mine is being shipped right now,I figured that would happen.

I ordered it with Elevator action too,because I thought that might be hard to find for awhile.

It's only $10. over each,you win some you lose some!

They've delayed that thing so much I don't even think I want it anymore, definitely not at the asking price. It's a shame as the early Namco stuff is excellent compared to the hit and miss pile that graced the Data East one they did. I had and sold it, it became a dust collecting snore.

Horizontal games are included on the Namco Museum MyArcade? Why? I can't see Splatterhouse and PacMan 2: TNA looking or playing well at all on it. Could be worth it for the vertical games, but this is MyArcade we're talking about. Their emulation and joysticks have been historically trash.

Edited by ONLYUSEmeFEET

I am pretty sure they delayed it to sell as many of the micro players as they could with the same games first.

Then sell the 20 game unit after the fact.

Worth the money if you wait for it!

there is 0 overlap, as these are mostly the ARCADE versions, along with

some genesis exclusives.

i've skipped all the trash NES versions for just that reason,

they are pointless to buy, yet people on here still keep buying

them anyways.

if you're a collector, you will get them all regardless of what version they are.

Horizontal games are included on the Namco Museum MyArcade? Why? I can't see Splatterhouse and PacMan 2: TNA looking or playing well at all on it. Could be worth it for the vertical games, but this is MyArcade we're talking about. Their emulation and joysticks have been historically trash.

Yes, the horizontal games are resized to fit, but the early video i posted from the tokyo show,

seemed ok.

I try to buy all the namco arcade related mini games, so this one is no different.

They've delayed that thing so much I don't even think I want it anymore, definitely not at the asking price. It's a shame as the early Namco stuff is excellent compared to the hit and miss pile that graced the Data East one they did. I had and sold it, it became a dust collecting snore.

I don't care when it comes out, its not like you can't play those games now, so whats the rush.

The price is reasonable for 20 games, so $5 each. Is that too much per licensed game. Maybe you

like the 600 in 1 with all the trash clones, is that a better value.

Or the 6 different neo-geo clones with exactly the same games on them for more money.

I'm sure there will be plenty of mods, and more games, better controls etc as usual, so that's not a problem either.

later

Edited by negative1

Snarky aren't ya for me not just lining up and going for it? It just bothered me with the mixed long run of delays, no information, and disinformation over the release so I lost interest. It has nothing really to do with anything being $5 a game averaged out. You seem offended like you have a personal stake in the project. I blew off the Neo Geo one awhile back for that reason, too many versions and them hiding quality games on each one to try and compel double triple or more dipping which is messed up.

Snarky aren't ya for me not just lining up and going for it? It just bothered me with the mixed long run of delays, no information, and disinformation over the release so I lost interest. It has nothing really to do with anything being $5 a game averaged out. You seem offended like you have a personal stake in the project. I blew off the Neo Geo one awhile back for that reason, too many versions and them hiding quality games on each one to try and compel double triple or more dipping which is messed up.

I could care less if you get it.

It's just that your reasons didn't seem convincing.

So if it was $50 you would buy it, even with the same issues, or maybe at $20,

thats not going to happen.

You are complaining about things that aren't in your control.

Do you complain when the my arcade and my play mini ones are delayed for weeks, with no prices listed, or the super impulse

ones get delayed. You buy most of those, when they are subpar and inferior versions, just like all the others.

So, it seems odd, to complain about a possible quality product, that a company Namco has put its stamp on, and is actually

trying to do something right. Unlike the 99% of every retro release I've seen bought, and wasted money on.

I bought the 30th anniversary Namco Plug and Play for $10, and it blows pretty much every plug and play version out

of the water, and if it was portable, it would kill all the other portables out there. Like I'm hoping this one will

also.

later

Edited by negative1

My point was the idea of wanting it wore off because of the constant delays and excuses basically, that's it. I've since put what I had put aside for the unit into other stuff, and I've basically moved on for the most part. Would I still buy it, probably not, but if i did, it would have to be in pretty low impulse buy territory now.

I gave up on the others too if you hadn't noticed. You ask did I complain when the my arcade and play mini were delayed or the super impulse. Actually I did, maybe not in this thread but I did on social media as I was in 3 groups tied to the My Arcade, Basic Fun, Arcade1Up devices, for a time then got over it. I got tired of the perpetual delays, retail mismanagement, and other snafu stuff. The Basic Fun games with the perpetual headaches of trying to get the LCD releases at Walmart for months on end soured me on them too because the alternative at the time was being well over retail with scalpers on ebay, and the MyArcade stuff got boring to me and I put the set of 7 up for sale just keeping the 3in1 on my desk alone and it's mostly just for looks. The only mini arcades I have left right now were all second hand pick ups other than Rampage as I held onto that one, the few others were $5 at most and 2 were gifts.

The only one I think I'd really put money down on now despite all of it would be that keychain Tetris, but it's not like I don't have enough Tetris games anyway. Pole Position looked interesting but if that wheel is for show not at all, if it worked I'd probably consider it. I'm at the point now I'd rather just walk into the store and see them on accident than wait and continue watching the pathetic display that goes on around baiting these things, then not delivering, while going ahead on other pet projects seemingly out of nowhere that pop up first like those credit card sized micro releases.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with the 30th anniversary unit, is that the big 8bit Pac-Man head device with the tuck away cable? If you are, I do have that, it's all I've got really left with the old Namco games on it as it's excellent.

My point was the idea of wanting it wore off because of the constant delays and excuses basically, that's it. I've since put what I had put aside for the unit into other stuff, and I've basically moved on for the most part. Would I still buy it, probably not, but if i did, it would have to be in pretty low impulse buy territory now.

I gave up on the others too if you hadn't noticed. You ask did I complain when the my arcade and play mini were delayed or the super impulse. Actually I did, maybe not in this thread but I did on social media as I was in 3 groups tied to the My Arcade, Basic Fun, Arcade1Up devices, for a time then got over it. I got tired of the perpetual delays, retail mismanagement, and other snafu stuff. The Basic Fun games with the perpetual headaches of trying to get the LCD releases at Walmart for months on end soured me on them too because the alternative at the time was being well over retail with scalpers on ebay, and the MyArcade stuff got boring to me and I put the set of 7 up for sale just keeping the 3in1 on my desk alone and it's mostly just for looks. The only mini arcades I have left right now were all second hand pick ups other than Rampage as I held onto that one, the few others were $5 at most and 2 were gifts.

The only one I think I'd really put money down on now despite all of it would be that keychain Tetris, but it's not like I don't have enough Tetris games anyway. Pole Position looked interesting but if that wheel is for show not at all, if it worked I'd probably consider it. I'm at the point now I'd rather just walk into the store and see them on accident than wait and continue watching the pathetic display that goes on around baiting these things, then not delivering, while going ahead on other pet projects seemingly out of nowhere that pop up first like those credit card sized micro releases.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with the 30th anniversary unit, is that the big 8bit Pac-Man head device with the tuck away cable? If you are, I do have that, it's all I've got really left with the old Namco games on it as it's excellent.

Thanks for the reply.

I understand where you're coming from.

There is an unfortunate amount of junk coming out now, and we're all experience retro-fatigue from it.

I wanted to buy every pac-man clone out there, and found out about these machines much later,

and only jumped in for a few of them. They have all been disappointing, but I kept hoping they would get better.

I have too many games to play, and the ones I've bought have a shelf life of about a week, before moving onto

something else. So it has to be really captivating to hold my attention (like the Arcade 1up, countercade games).

This Namco multi-cade will probably (hah) be the LAST one I buy, as that was the missing piece in my puzzle of mini games.

I will keep an eye on the super impulse minis, because they're finally doing some different games like rallyx, and pole position,

but I know they will be disappointing before I even get them.

At least they're cheap.

later

I think we're basically on the same page with the stories, disappointment, and the releases on top of releases with checkered issues mostly across the board. The Namco one looks mostly good, though I think how they went about the display on that one is a huge mistake and annoying for all the non-vertical stuff being so compressed to maintain the ratio.

Like you said (and I brought up) Pole Position looks different and I'll keep an eye on it, clearly I still read this thread, but I otherwise just don't seek info any further due to all the drama. At least they're cheap is right, so hopefully pole position actually does use the wheel even if it may feel weird spinning such a tiny knob, because otherwise it'll get strange kind of like doing d-pad NES racers like Rad Racer or something and it could get weird or awful depending how close to source the game wants to be.