IGNORED

Mini Arcade Alert!

simbalion

Those look great! The only one I'm not personally interested in is Street Fighter II, because it really seems too difficult to play it well at such a small size. The other games I think are decently playable with small controls. However, will the completist in me be able to collect 'em all ... except for one? Tune in next time... as my wallet screams.

What is this, and does anyone want to get it. I don't watch the show.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/video-games/3565044/hasbro-brings-palace-arcade-home-stranger-things-mini-arcade-including-20-retro-games/

st1-1.jpg

The “Palace Arcade” handheld electronic game is a portable mini arcade unit packed with 20 retro games. It includes some of the video games that Mike, Will, Lucas, Dustin, Mad Max, and other characters are seen playing within the show. Try your hand at PAC-MAN, DIG DUG, GALAGA, GALAXIAN, and other games inspired by those that were popular in the 80s.

https://shop.hasbro.com/en-us/product/stranger-things-palace-arcade-handheld-electronic-game:D4AA3063-2F65-41D8-80CA-11051BBF5A77#

Description

Gamers and fans of Stranger Things can imagine going back to the Golden Age of Video Games that's explored throughout the Netflix Original Series. This portable mini arcade unit is packed with 20 games inspired by nostalgic games from the 1980s. It includes some of the video games that Mike, Will, Lucas, Dustin, Mad Max, and other characters are seen playing within the show. Try your hand at PAC-MAN, DIG DUG, GALAGA, GALAXIAN, and other games inspired by those that were popular in the 80s.

Copyright Netflix. DIG DUG, GALAGA, GALAXIAN, PAC-MAN, Registered Trademark and Copyright BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.

Licensed By Bandai Namco Entertainment America Inc.

Hasbro Gaming and all related terms are trademarks of Hasbro.

later

New wave toys, are coming out with a mini Asteroids, Dragons Lair with LED screenboard, and teased missile command, and a USB charger change machine.

later

I'm interested in that Asteroids machine but I got to try the 1Up unit and man oh man the ship did not respond well to button presses so I'm worried that a mini version of the same game will suck.

I'm interested in that Asteroids machine but I got to try the 1Up unit and man oh man the ship did not respond well to button presses so I'm worried that a mini version of the same game will suck.

do you honestly expect a miniature version to respond better than the much larger version.

of course it's going to be terrible.

also, asteroids goes for about $75 now, and you get 3 other games with it,

and you can put in your own machine, change the controls, change the screen, etc.

i don't think there's any comparison.

those mini machines are made for collectors, and people to put on their shelfs,

nobody that actually cares about playing those games will buy them.

later

Edited by negative1

those mini machines are made for collectors, and people to put on their shelfs,

nobody that actually cares about playing those games will buy them.

later

Eh, that's not really true. My daughter and I have spent quite a lot of time playing the New Wave Toys Centipede cabinet. I'm not a "scoreler" (Japanese slang for an expert player who sets extremely high scores) but I enjoy both playing it and just looking at it.

We're talking about two different companies here. Arcade1Up makes the larger lineup that you can actually sit at; New Wave Toys make the 12" miniatures and those are quite responsive. They did add some simulated "inertia" to Tempest but that can be removed with a firmware upgrade.

Edited by Zoyous
  • Like 1

do you honestly expect a miniature version to respond better than the much larger version.of course it's going to be terrible.also, asteroids goes for about $75 now, and you get 3 other games with it,and you can put in your own machine, change the controls, change the screen, etc.i don't think there's any comparison.those mini machines are made for collectors, and people to put on their shelfs,nobody that actually cares about playing those games will buy them.later-1

Speak for yourself. I did buy the 1up Galaga machine and required some modding of the control panel to get it perfect. The My Arcade and other 6 inch miniatures are a mixed bag but fun nonetheless.

I do play and have enjoyed playing the little mini arcades. In fact due to their pick up and play nature, I have been playing with the little toy arcades moreso than my actual consoles. They are great collectibles and functional. I would say the Replicate Centipede cab I have (bought at best buy) is just as good response wise as the full scale 1up cabs if not better, albeit pricey for it's size. You pay for quality though.

And the build quality of the quarter scale model is above and beyond the 1up stuff. The tiny 1cm trackball is surprizingly good. My top score is 30k points! Also while I would have liked to get the full scale Centipede / Asteroids machine, there would be nowhere to store it in my house. I literally had room only for one, and it required a small amount of rearrangement.

I had planned on doing a video review of the Centipede replicade when I first got it but I had to build up confidence first. My Analogue SG video review is a bit painful to watch because I was still *very* confused about my identity at the time I recorded it. I am just too busy working full time and living an active life style, to sit around posting unmonetized video reviews about toys. Now I am more into exploring the local art scene as opposed to gaming. Priorities change. Been nurturing my creative right brain side.

Nice... 1942 also contains 1943, 1944, and 1945 (actually I didn't know the series went that far). The Dragon's Lair LED scoreboard looks great. The Missile Command deluxe cabinet... huh? Okay! Asteroids looks wonderful too. These are 12" tall chunks of Kryptonite to me!

Nice... 1942 also contains 1943, 1944, and 1945 (actually I didn't know the series went that far). The Dragon's Lair LED scoreboard looks great. The Missile Command deluxe cabinet... huh? Okay! Asteroids looks wonderful too. These are 12" tall chunks of Kryptonite to me!

don't forget 1941! I think the supergrafx was the only retro console port it got.
  • Like 1

I'm a bit confused. Strikers 1945 is a Psikyo game, not Capcom. Capcom didn't make a 1945. They did make 1941 and 19XX, though.

Edited by BrianC

I'm a bit confused. Strikers 1945 is a Psikyo game, not Capcom. Capcom didn't make a 1945. They did make 1941 and 19XX, though.

Yeah, I've played Strikers 1945. But according to KLOV, Capcom released a game called simply '1945' in 1998. I never really followed the series closely after the first couple of games.

I like the size of that screen on the Retro Champ, but I do wonder how comfortable it is to hold for a while ~ it's great that they have the optional controller and HDMI out. Hopefully this is successful and they create similar ones for other consoles, as well.