IGNORED

Mini Arcade Alert!

simbalion

Here's the press for space invaders, too bad it comes with a joystick instead of buttons for the US version.

https://www.myarcadegaming.com/blogs/press-and-news/my-arcade-reveals-collectible-space-invaders-micro-player

DGUNL-3279_Micro_Player_PR1_1024x1024.pn

LOS ANGELES, CA – June 11, 2019 – My Arcade today announced the SPACE INVADERS Micro Player in partnership with TAITO Corporation. Expanding on My Arcade’s collectible line of Micro Players, gamers can blast away alien adversaries right at home on this miniature arcade cabinet featuring authentic graphics and gameplay. The SPACE INVADERS Micro Player is fully playable and features the original arcade version of the game and is projected to launch this year with an MSRP of $39.99.

SPACE INVADERS is a legendary title that forever changed the public perception of video games and their role in entertainment. It's with great pride that we announce this addition to our line of collectibles,” says Amir Navid, Creative Director, My Arcade. “Our SPACE INVADERS Micro Player pays homage to the pioneering creativity of the original game cabinet with its reflected gameplay and layered illuminated backdrops. Authentic details are essential to making a worthy collectible and to fully evoke the nostalgia of the original arcades they were modeled after, and we hope new and old fans alike will appreciate our scaled-down version of this wonderful game.” 

later

Edited by negative1

17 minutes ago, negative1 said:

too bad it comes with a joystick instead of buttons for the US version

Well if they do that then they'd also need to do the completely different cabinet artwork (of the Midway upright) if they wanted to keep it accurate.

I'm really pleasantly surprised at this to be honest. I think it looks great and I love that they chose the Taito upright. I'll probably buy two at least :lol:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NE146 said:

Well if they do that then they'd also need to do the completely different cabinet artwork (of the Midway upright) if they wanted to keep it accurate.

I'm really pleasantly surprised at this to be honest. I think it looks great and I love that they chose the Taito upright. I'll probably buy two at least :lol:

i don't like how the scale of everything just looks completely wrong, the joystick, the buttons.

they could have done a much better job on that.

later

41 minutes ago, negative1 said:

i don't like how the scale of everything just looks completely wrong, the joystick, the buttons.

they could have done a much better job on that.

later

It's a mini collectible toy version. I'm not sure what you're looking for.. I think it looks great. :)   

DGUNL-3279_Micro_Player_PR1_1024x1024.pn TaitoSI2.jpg.e5141547f507f90ffd64815edc1b1faa.jpg

taitosi3.JPG

TaitoSI1.jpg

Heck look at the joystick in the mini PS2 cocktail controller version.. it's pretty big as well. :lol:

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NE146 said:

It's a mini collectible toy version. I'm not sure what you're looking for.. I think it looks great. :)   

DGUNL-3279_Micro_Player_PR1_1024x1024.pn TaitoSI2.jpg.e5141547f507f90ffd64815edc1b1faa.jpg

taitosi3.JPG

TaitoSI1.jpg

Heck look at the joystick in the mini PS2 cocktail controller version.. it's pretty big as well. :lol:

s-l1600.jpg

The one and two player buttons are the wrong shape and size, even scaled down or up.

The control panel artwork is completely scaled the wrong way.

The ball on the stick should be bigger.

The marquee is the wrong scale.

The games graphics are also scaled too big.

That's just for starters.

later

Edited by negative1

I saw several of these purple things in a Alabama Walmart.  No bar code to scan or price tag other that the yellow shelf tag.  Stickers were peeling or missing on some and the red analog control knob was gone on one of them.  They have a three position switch on the back: on, off, try me.  Batteries were dead on all of them so no testing possible.  Cheap looking construction but interestingly over a foot tall.  Has anyone seen these in a saleable condition?

ArcadeRetroPurple.thumb.jpg.606ea70c38305975292a1c878423dd2b.jpg

• Sad 2

46 minutes ago, RodLightning said:

I saw several of these purple things in a Alabama Walmart.  No bar code to scan or price tag other that the yellow shelf tag.  Stickers were peeling or missing on some and the red analog control knob was gone on one of them.  They have a three position switch on the back: on, off, try me.  Batteries were dead on all of them so no testing possible.  Cheap looking construction but interestingly over a foot tall.  Has anyone seen these in a saleable condition?

ArcadeRetroPurple.thumb.jpg.606ea70c38305975292a1c878423dd2b.jpg

That $39.97 price tag is for these awful looking things? I think this might take the "worst games value of 2019" title from the upcoming "Atari VCS." Bleccccchh

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

That $39.97 price tag is for these awful looking things? I think this might take the "worst games value of 2019" title from the upcoming "Atari VCS." Bleccccchh

Typical Walmart find.  Nobody working in the dept. knew anything about them, although I didn't try very hard to get more info.  That shelf tag may have been for something else.  First thing I thought about was a case mod for raspberry pi.  Spray paint would be mandatory.  :)  The analog stick and weird wide screen LCD caught my attention though.

• Like 2

Anyone bite the bullet on these of know what kind of games are on them? Odd there is no retail packaging. Looks like sietchy Chinese goods if you ask me.

Walmart description is comic gold. Stay away...

Give your imaginative little one a play set item they're sure to love with this fabulous My Life As Arcade Game! Designed to perfectly compliment My Life As Dolls, this colorful, detailed and functioning retro inspired arcade game features an impressive 100 arcade games, and boasts a joystick that really works! Designed in a fun purple color in a classic arcade game style with punchy yellow buttons, this neat play set addition is sure to get often play from both your child and their dolls! Requiring only 4 AA batteries, that are provided, the My Life As Arcade Game offers an interactive and unique play set item that is sure to blend in seamlessly with your child's existing toys. Keep your child happy and occupied for hours! Be sure to collect all the vibrant My Life As Play Sets to bring your child's beloved dolls and toys to life! This arcade set is designed for children ages 5 years and up. My life as 100-game real working arcade game with working joystick6

https://www.walmart.com/ip/My-life-as-100-game-real-working-arcade-game-with-working-joystick/695393730

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I thought we talked about these before. They were some weird ass arcade game accessory for a girls doll. The game part, other than generally being functional, was complete crap. No doubt a bunch of generic shovel ware. I know someone here knows more about them.

Edited by JBerel

4 hours ago, Kosmic Stardust said:

Anyone bite the bullet on these of know what kind of games are on them? Odd there is no retail packaging. Looks like sietchy Chinese goods if you ask me.

Walmart description is comic gold. Stay away...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/My-life-as-100-game-real-working-arcade-game-with-working-joystick/695393730

Wow, that tag was the price!  Nice find.  I figured it would be full of renamed NES games or worse.  So cheap and poorly made.  With several damaged and no sign of a UPC, they will probably sit there for a long time.

Numbskull 1/4 scale, $169 : Dig Dug, Ms pac man, Galaga, galaxian, track and field, space invaders coming

ETA for each cabinet’s release date is below.

Galaga Available September 2019

Ms Pacman November 2019

Galaxian November 2019

Track & Field March 2020

Dig Dug May 2020

Space Invaders July 2020

later

l

Edited by negative1

Anyone know what that game besides 'Tempest' for "micro Arcade" #372 is? (Maybe I should have started with the video I'm referencing? Anyway, I'm more curious about what the actual game is as someone with an interest in video games and their history and not that it might become some portable trinket. That I can't remember any games with a logo/banner like it is slightly bothering me.)

Also #371 'Combat,' am I the only one that A. notices that, & B. realizes why (in multiple ways) that makes no sense?

One of the videos by arcadeusa also showed the catalogue (I forgot which and it is just as unreadable as it is in this video so no point in linking if I knew now) and that was even more painful to watch with (paraphrasing as I don't remember the exact insipidness) "How cool" "wow" "awesome" as the twit read aloud the names of the most obvious and already now overproduced games (then proceeded to be more sellout/adman than reviewer on the actual item).

And this one, Vertical video!!! (And showing the original arcade on the sides is just distracting and annoying too.) Why the H can't anyone competent review these series 3 toys/games, series 1 had Youtubers like Techmoan and Ashens review them but now its just these fools.

Additional, has everyone forgotten the old Nelsonic (I believe different regions had different branding) arcade watches? Of course just pre-set LCD graphics but for Q-bert and Frogger (Pac-Man's gameplay not so much but fun in a different/unique/interesting way, none-the-less.) they were (atleast considering the year they were released) pretty faithful to the video games they were based on (yes, no where near 100% but again context). Those were the true original mini arcades and even smaller than these "World's Smallest."

• Like 2

Well maybe "he actually knows what he's talking about with retrogames" but he sure as H can't make a pleasant vid to watch. The vertical video plus inserted arcade footage at the sides is inexcusable, full stop. Also he neglected to mention if the high scores were retained if the unit was shut down then restarted. The 1st gen Tiny Arcades to my knowledge did but it seems like most of the latter releases don't. Also he takes too long to get to the actual review, some parts could have been covered first then showing what "extras" (instructions and catalogue) are in the box and "funny" (for some) bits for after.

Speaking/typing of not pleasant to watch video makers, Madlittlepixel has a review of that 'Stranger Things Mini Arcade Machine' that someone in this thread brought up earlier.

For those that don't feel like watching, to sum up the 4 actual retro games suffer from terribly choppy frame rates and the 16 "inspired by retro" games are like low grade flash games from 20 to 15 years ago. The only upside to this video is that for once he doesn't use the nails-on-a-chalkboard unpleasant phrase of "bad boy."

Also I wouldn't dismiss Ashen's knowledge of old games (,old games aren't just the mainstream retro arcade titles that so many "experts" keep regurgitating their "knowledge" of). His main channel might disguise it but his talks at the 'Norwich Games Festival' which are view able at the Fest's own Youtube page show a wealth of knowledge. 'The Curse Of Bloggo's Pow' and 'Terrible Old Games You've Probably Never Heard Of' presentations particularly come to mind.

Lastly of possible interest I actually noticed Walmart (at a brick and mortar physical location that is) was selling a Tetris Tiny Arcade, until this Monday (at ~2AM) I'd only seen them stock the 1st gen Tiny Arcades. This was the Philadelphia suburbs so other locations "mileage may vary" but if you've been looking for them at Walmart's more appropriate price for these toys/games you may want to try to see if they're in stock near you.

Edit: 2 typos (that I just caught although I'm sure there are more that I'm missing): "exports" instead of "experts" and the "s" in scores.

Edited by AnnA Ayms
typos
  • Like 1