IGNORED

Mini Arcade Alert!

simbalion

42 minutes ago, negative1 said:

these were reviewed awhile ago.

basically, unless you're a hardcore collector, you don't really need them.

unless you're filling out a collection.

later

I was just wondering if more are out on the market since I just started collecting them  

Certainly,there are more than enough versions of these games out there.

They had plans for four others early in the year. (Tetris was the one Arduboy did originally) Don't know if the other 4 ever hit the street or will. They usually do a first run and watch sales. These may not be in much demand like the little cabinet versions.  

https://liliputing.com/2019/02/micro-arcade-handheld-put-frogger-galaga-and-pac-man-in-credit-card-sized-packages.html

Micro Arcade handheld put Frogger, Galaga, and Pac-Man in credit card-sized packages

02/13/2019 at 12:15 PM by Brad Linder 4 Comments

There are handheld game systems… and then there are really, really tiny handheld game systems.

A few years ago, after creating and running a Kickstarter campaign for a credit card-sized game system called the Arduboy, the developer of that project launched a single-purpose game system called the Tetris MicroCard. Now that developer has licensed the technology behind the MicroCard to Super Impulse, which plans to release a series of single-purpose, pocket-sized games later this year for around $20 to $25 each.

The Super Impulse Micro Arcade line of devices each measure about 3.3″ x 2″ x 0.3″ and feature color LCD screens surrounded by D-pads and two buttons. The system charges via a micro USB cable.

Sure, they’re a bit thicker than a credit card, but if you toss out all the cards in your wallet, you might be able to fit this into your card pocket.

According to Gizmodo, Super Impulse will be showing off the new lineup at New York Toy Fair later this week, and based on a page on the Super Impulse website, it looks like there will be at least 7 models at launch.

• Pac-Man
  • Space Invaders
  • Frogger
  • Galaga
  • Galaxian
  • Rally X
  • Atari (with both Missile Command and Centipede)

Priced at $25 or less, these systems should cost about half as much as the Tetris MicroCard. But that still might be a lot of money to spend on handheld game system that only plays one or two games. The good news is that these are time-tested titles that offer high replay value, unlike some games that you may lose interest in once you beat them.

micro-arcade-rally-x.jpg?fit=125%2C80&ss
micro-pac-man.jpg?fit=125%2C80&ssl=1micro-atari.jpg?fit=125%2C80&ssl=1micro-frogger.jpg?fit=125%2C80&ssl=1micro-galaga.jpg?fit=125%2C80&ssl=1
  • Like 1

I saw the Tetris one in a game shop a few months back and I was impressed, but to be honest having read they cut a few corners in how it plays vs like the traditional Gameboy (etc) style and asking like $25-30 for it, it put me off it.  I really loved the design but had it been more friendly valued I'd have been on it.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2019 at 10:45 AM, wolfy62 said:

Is this wave one and the only ones released so far?

Or are more of them out in stores?

Were they discontinued after wave one?

I would like to collect more when available! ?

20191016_044225.jpg

Actually your post is the first I've seen that the Space Invaders Micro Arcade is for sale. Super Impulse hasn't even listed it on their website. I'm sure it will be gameplay and visually almost Identical to the Tiny Arcade but with worse sound. Wonder if it saves the high score if allowed to just time out to sleep/low power state (power switch will reset it and all micro arcades as it just fully cuts power) like the Atari and Tetris or if they effed up like with the Pac Man Micro and it loses the score no matter what. Super Impulse in a few replies to Facebook comments has mentioned that the Q-bert micro Arcade is suppose to be released sometime in November. I'm just waiting to have my suspicions confirmed that they so much don't give a damn that the Q-Bert will retain the '+' d-pad arrangement instead of them putting the effort to realign the d-pad to an 'x' (and not fix Colly's "AI" which is just random in the Tiny version to boot, even the nearly 40 year old Nelsonic game watch got that right even).

Edited by AnnA Ayms
"score" not "power" originally wrote "loses power no matter what"
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2019 at 4:17 PM, Tanooki said:

I saw the Tetris one in a game shop a few months back and I was impressed, but to be honest having read they cut a few corners in how it plays vs like the traditional Gameboy (etc) style and asking like $25-30 for it, it put me off it.  I really loved the design but had it been more friendly valued I'd have been on it.

From what I read and have seen the original Arduboy Tetris MicroCard [Discontinued] was much better. The Super Impulse is way too easy to max out the high score, it takes about 20 minutes to do I've found and between that the speed doesn't get that fast and definitely by level 20 if not sooner is at its maximum speed and often even briefly slows down or pauses. well just see the attached image:

20020916_231824.thumb.jpg.a013dfbd7320b1cb362f3e079747a72f.jpg

Yeah that's the corner cutting I heard of, too easy and a lower cap so it's kind of an overpriced time waster for anyone with even moderate Tetris skill to just wreck it with 9s like that image and I have zero interest in that so the arduboy one if it was done right would be the choice for a pocket card sized Tetris game yet it's expensive annoyingly.

20 hours ago, AnnA Ayms said:

From what I read and have seen the original Arduboy Tetris MicroCard [Discontinued] was much better. The Super Impulse is way too easy to max out the high score, it takes about 20 minutes to do I've found and between that the speed doesn't get that fast and definitely by level 20 if not sooner is at its maximum speed and often even briefly slows down or pauses. well just see the attached image:

20020916_231824.thumb.jpg.a013dfbd7320b1cb362f3e079747a72f.jpg

The arduino board version is really nice despite the monochrome screen.

I bought the tetris model and the stock game boy one. $50 each was a bit hefty. Deginitely an impulse buy but I like it. I figured despite the color, they took abunch of shortcuts to get it down to $20.

The stock mermaid game side scrolling shooter on the arduino board is cute. I have not attempted to load other software yet.

The old Tetris arduboy has been conveniently discontinued, but the arduboy itself is still around at that $54 price tag.  I take it you could go that route to stuff Tetris on that instead and you say it has a mermaid shooter inside already?

I'm adding this.  I started poking around the Arduboy page a bit as I haven't seen it in over a year, and I like seeing what has matured there so far in the game space with the dungeon crawler, shooter, zelda like, sim city clone and all that.  Is that like the only space to find games for the device, or are there some solid community hubs to dig a bit deeper?  It's starting to maybe look more worth the effort to maybe get one, but I'd like more details from that end to just the limitations/storage and use of the device than the generalized webpage gives for it.  Shame you seemingly can't get Tetris on there though.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Thanks 1

On 10/20/2019 at 11:24 AM, Tanooki said:

The old Tetris arduboy has been conveniently discontinued, but the arduboy itself is still around at that $54 price tag.  I take it you could go that route to stuff Tetris on that instead and you say it has a mermaid shooter inside already?

I'm adding this.  I started poking around the Arduboy page a bit as I haven't seen it in over a year, and I like seeing what has matured there so far in the game space with the dungeon crawler, shooter, zelda like, sim city clone and all that.  Is that like the only space to find games for the device, or are there some solid community hubs to dig a bit deeper?  It's starting to maybe look more worth the effort to maybe get one, but I'd like more details from that end to just the limitations/storage and use of the device than the generalized webpage gives for it.  Shame you seemingly can't get Tetris on there though.

I purchased mine in May. It seems stock is depleted now sadly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073ZF4ZZC/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a great Tetris clone. Even if you could somehow dump Tetris off the card and load it onto a stock Arduino boy, the screen orientation would be incorrect.

I bought both units. I have not attempted to load any other games on the Arduino Boy unit.

• Like 1

Not sure if this was mentioned before but I came across this yesterday at Target.  Wow some of the standard Namco games ONCE AGAIN with an additional 16 fluff games based on "Stranger Things".  :lol:

It wouldn't turn on so I have no idea what the version of the Namco games are on there.. flash repro, nes, arcade, or what. My guess is NES, but who knows. 

2019-11-04 18.16.30.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NE146 said:

Not sure if this was mentioned before but I came across this yesterday at Target.  Wow some of the standard Namco games ONCE AGAIN with an additional 16 fluff games based on "Stranger Things".  :lol:

It wouldn't turn on so I have no idea what the version of the Namco games are on there.. flash repro, nes, arcade, or what. My guess is NES, but who knows. 

2019-11-04 18.16.30.jpg

already mentioned it a few months ago :

video review here: 

later

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

Super Impulse has listed two more of each micro arcade and mini tabletop arcade games on their website.

The hard part is finding who has them for purchase!

Galaga and Pac-Man are both in the wrong orientation. It's hard enough with the tiny controls,

but I guess they figured that's the only way it work. If they were on the ends, they would not  

even be close to playable, although its pretty bad the way it is.

later

• Like 1