IGNORED

Mini Arcade Alert!

simbalion

23 hours ago, Andromeda Stardust said:

Wait, were the ships green on the originals w/ overlay?

If we're talking original Taito upright Space Invaders, The shields and your player (i.e. the bottom ~20% of the screen) were green with overlay. The UFO strip on top was purple. 

e.g. @1m28s in

e,

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I have to admit, the TMNT one has me curious, as does the pinball that was announced awhile back too.

The pinball game has actually really cool gameplay and a great design physically too.I hope they make more pinball minis.

I love the display box it comes in,just like the tiny arcades.

I am curious how they do the TMNT arcade style mini and if they

Are able to have multiple screens?

Or did that game only have one screen in the arcade anyway?

3 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

The pinball game has actually really cool gameplay and a great design physically too.I hope they make more pinball minis.

I love the display box it comes in,just like the tiny arcades.

I am curious how they do the TMNT arcade style mini and if they

Are able to have multiple screens?

Or did that game only have one screen in the arcade anyway?

Since the Tiny Arcade ones are built on arm from the ground up, I suspect there will be a selection screen much like the NES Turtles II arcade port, so you could select any character without a fourscore.

And somehow I doubt they'll add multiplayer to it.

10 hours ago, Andromeda Stardust said:

Since the Tiny Arcade ones are built on arm from the ground up, I suspect there will be a selection screen much like the NES Turtles II arcade port, so you could select any character without a fourscore.

you doubt it. are you kidding.

its hard enough to get one player on these machines.

later

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Andromeda Stardust said:

I actually wasnt asking about multiplayer,I know they cant do that.

I was curious if the tiny arcades are capable of doing multiscreens,like if you clear a round or area you head to another screen.

That TMNT Tiny Arcade has my interest. If it is at least playable and can coin up like the arcade for continues, I'll nab one for myself. It will take up WAY less space and be way more affordable than the Arcade 1Up version, which is nice too. I have the little pinball already and it is a blast. Only complaint I have about it is it seems way too easy to drain the ball out that left exit lane, other than that I like it!

• Like 1

I found at an off brand one off store near here today that does overstock and returned goods sales a brand new Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego handheld for $10 so I figured I'd give it a try.  I have to say I'm shocked, it's just that good.  It really is like that old DOS version everyones familiar with from old school PCs.  It's very very well done, nice audio, great screen with solid clear visuals and colors to them. The button layout is smart, game even takes in your name and you can save your progress to and go through the ranks solving cases as the original did, maybe it is just some emulated dump of it, not sure, but it's good.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

It really is like that old DOS version everyones familiar with from old school PCs.

I just read a review of it on Amazon that says that it includes the copy protection challenge questions that require you to refer to the original manual (or just be extremely knowledgeable about geography) in order to receive promotions. Aside from that problem, I think this would be cool to get for my daughter and for us to play together.

The TMNT micro arcade game looks fantastic. It is single-player only, but all Turtles are confirmed to be selectable and it is the arcade version. Its Framerate doesn't look great, but I am ready for later arcade games to get the re-release treatment and cannot wait for TMNT. It'll look great next to the excellent TMNT pinball release last year. Hoping for a pair of Terminator 2 gun/pinball games down the road!

Over the holidays, I was gifted my first MyArcade product, the Dig Dug micro arcade player. I was excited to get this as it is the first official western release of the Tower of Druaga Famicom I'm aware of, but it has a glaring issue I cannot overlook. It removed features from the original games. I just wrote an Amazon review, but it isn't up yet so I'll post my review here as well. :)

I was fine with the games being Nintendo/Famicom ports. I have wanted a dedicated, western release of the Famicom version of Tower of Druaga so I was very excited for MyArcade to release this product. Unfortunately, MyArcade butchered the Tower of Druaga port, along with both Dig Dug ports.

How? Simply put, MyArcade did not bother putting a select button on this Micro Player, despite putting a B button on the unit that does absolutely nothing. There is a "select button" but it only chooses a game when you power on the system. What does this mean? Each game is missing features present in their original Nintendo/Famicom form. Tower of Druaga had a continue option right on its main menu that would start you at Level 1 with all items you collected previously by pressing select (see attached screenshot). I'm positive Continue is still present on the main menu, just with the words blacked-out. Both Dig Dug and Dig Dug II have Level Select cheats that are activated by pressing Select + A + Start on the title screen, after scrolling. None of these features are possible without a select button.

So what's the big deal? In my opinion, these features had no reason to be removed and all of them would be great on a portable device. I doubt anyone is going to go through every level in Dig Dug on the MyArcade in one sitting (the batteries would die long before you hit the last level for sure) but with the level select code, I can see plenty of people (including myself) digging their way to the last level. 

As much as I love Tower of Druaga, getting every required item in one run is a daunting task, which would be made way less daunting if I could continue the game with the items I collected after game over. And yes, Tower of Druaga has tons of required items with complex requirements to spawn them that you need to beat the game. MyArcade didn't include a Hint Book or even a decent description of Tower of Druaga with the Micro Player, so I really think it stinks most people buying this product will barely even play Tower of Druaga given how poorly the game is represented. 

A quick aside from this review, but if you haven't yet, play Tower of Druaga with a Hint Book. It's an impressive game that inspired so many classics (Zelda) that should not go unplayed by anyone! You get speed shoes in the second level by killing three black slimes which makes the game pace good so stick with it and have fun!

As for the product itself, I find the battery life to be poor and the screen incredibly cheap. The aspect ratio isn't quite right as each game has some degree of uneven pixels (screen shimmers when scrolling). I do love the micro-switched Start button and wish that along with a micro-switched select button, and I'd maybe love for the A button to be micro-switched as well. The form factor of the Micro Player is great. As I mentioned earlier, I wish they included a printed Tower of Druaga hint book so more people can enjoy the game.

In conclusion, I cannot recommend any product that took inferior ports of arcade games and made them worse than they originally were. I was actually content with playing Famicom ports of these games primarily because I wanted to own Tower of Druaga Famicom in some official capacity. But to remove features present in the original games? I'm not cool with that. I also feel the Tower of Druaga got represented poorly in this package due to the lack of its continue option (which isn't even a cheat code, just an option on the main menu) and the manual lacking information on the game's hidden treasures. This was my first MyArcade product and will be my last until the company puts more effort into their products.

Druaga no Tou (Japan)-200302-081950.png

5 hours ago, ONLYUSEmeFEET said:

Both Dig Dug and Dig Dug II have Level Select cheats that are activated by pressing Select + A + Start on the title screen, after scrolling. None of these features are possible without a select button.

So what's the big deal? In my opinion, these features had no reason to be removed and all of them would be great on a portable device. I doubt anyone is going to go through every level in Dig Dug on the MyArcade in one sitting (the batteries would die long before you hit the last level for sure) but with the level select code, I can see plenty of people (including myself) digging their way to the last level. 

Very nice detailed review. Thanks. Never knew about the level select cheat.

But it makes no difference. Dig Dug just repeats forever after level 99, and has no ending that I know of.

Dig Dug 2 ends on level 72, which is quite different from the arcade version, which goes on forever, and

when you hit 1,000,000 it stops keeping score. I don't think the NES version can go that high.

So in short, the level select only would have helped in Dig Dug 2.

later

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

Just replying to xs4all post about the My Arcade Data East Mini Arcade.

I to have the later revision of this board. I adb to micro usb on the back and basically following Glens guide got nova launcher on there and got playstore version of mame4all and added heaps( of games even psx and n64 games run fine also added Dig frontend all operating great fantastic unit once modded.

But sane as you otg does not work so no storage expansion xs4all after scourering then net for days to resolve thus problem I finally found your post and had some hope otg would work.

Did you finally get all your buttons working I have a keymapper on mine and remember the back and start keys  were 190 192 and middle exit buttton was 20.

I'd love to expand the storage on mine and any more information you had would be great.

Thanks

Forget those key numbers was from memory and are incorrect. What I do know from setting up the emulators is that the Myarcade Dataeast has 2 controllers for input for I player so xs4all sounds like with buttons you have got working it has only got drivers for one of those controllers.

On 1/14/2020 at 8:54 PM, Andromeda Stardust said:

I accept your challenge.

Perfect score for 1st intermission is 30,000.

https://nrchapman.com/pacman/cherry.html

https://nrchapman.com/pacman/strawberry.html

Is that "expert gameplay" enough for you?

I plan to achieve this on the Quarter Arcade.

I gotta start practicing! :D?️

EDIT: Stage 255 / Killscreen on Quarter Arcade Pacman would be truly worthy of some special achievement, but I don't have the patience to do that.

Cherry pattern.png

Strawberry Pattern.png

well, i'm happy to be proven wrong,

he missed the killscreen by 1 dot :

but he came back and did it finally:

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've uploaded overviews of Super Impulses Atari Series 2 and 3 Micro Arcades. Their ports of Asteroids, Breakout, Millipede, Combat (not an arcade game), & Pong again x2. Now with mostly in focus video footage thanks to a better macro capable camera. I also uploaded three videos showcasing (not reviewing or commenting) the Frogger, Pac-Man (version 2), and Q*bert Nelsonic LCD game wrist watches.

Just some videos to kill time while waiting for juicer Mini Arcade news.

Addition: A couple New York Toy Fair 2020 videos show Super Impulse's booth and it seems instead of a series 4 Atari (Warlords, Tempest, and likely Pong again) they are instead releasing Oregon Trail (Not an arcade game) or atleast they don't show it packaged but there is loose one that does have the Tempest, Warlords logos so maybe not (???). Also for Tiny Arcade besides the aforementioned BurgerTime, Mappy, Teenage Mutant Ninja/Hero Turtles is Tomb Raider (not an arcade game unless based on the 2018 rail shooter or is there another arcade version? and the box art looks more like the old PC or PS1 era of the character anyway, and there is so much more really on how it seems a dumb choice but I'm already ranting so I'll drop the should be obvious insanity of it).

tr6.thumb.jpg.f5dc7bc9a5c16e56c4a164cd42bd3409.jpgtr7.jpg.68ad803e95cc6b707a84424f71670476.jpgtr4.jpg.55b91c8db34a5ab35651bb305f8a0879.jpgtr1.jpg.85c779e4260ee2dcf8f73e0bf5e2ea83.jpgtr2.jpg.7c4af7408e6901c622ffaf648e18c1cc.jpgtr3.jpg.9ebc7a34e3c3e4fcb2b902055d85e19e.jpgtr5.jpg.56f165e44e27f78b9f6f694f9d9d7e52.jpg

• Thanks 1