IGNORED

Mini Arcade Alert!

simbalion

not sure if this should go into dedicated handheld topics, probably should, 

since these aren't mini arcades...

but anyways:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/06/segas-tiny-game-gear-micro-is-92-smaller-than-the-original/

ggm1.png

Like previous "plug and play" TV-based retro systems, the Game Gear Micro will only sport a limited selection of pre-loaded games, with no way to add more (at least officially). But in what seems like a blatant move to spur the collector's market, Sega is including four different games on each of four different colors of the Micro system. Here are the line-ups.

Black model:

• Out Run
  • Puyo Puyo 2
  • Royal Stone
  • Sonic the Hedgehog

Blue model:

• Baku Baku Animal
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Sonic & Tails
  • Sylvan Tale

Yellow model:

• Shining Force Gaiden: Expedition to the Land of Evil
  • Shining Force Gaiden II: The Sword of Hajya
  • Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict
  • Nazopuyo Aruru no Ru

Red model:

• Columns
  • Game Gear Shinobi
  • Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible Special
  • Revelations: The Demon Slayer

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, negative1 said:

Didn't know about this micro galaga machine:

later

They came out with series three that also include Dig Dug and the Atari arcade series 3.

Some of the micros are pretty good some are horrible. 

My biggest complaint is that they changed the great collectible packaging after series 1 to the not very reclosable hang tab cardboard packs for series 2 and 3.

It saves the company a couple bucks but really takes the collectability aspect away from us,the consumer.

Thank you Negative 1 for continuing to post on all the new mini stuff!?

They do have variety I'll give them that.  I still wish I had got the early Tetris one, probably the arudino one I think it had a better setup or something but it was awhile back so I forget.

I'm surprised to see they did a Bases Loaded handheld though, but I am curious if it's fresh/updated or which of the old 4 games they stuffed on there.  I saw the Galaga handheld locally the other day but some dumb store wanted like $40-50 for it so I left it.

• Like 1

I posted this in the Wanted section but seeing as this is the thread dealing with these minis...

Does anyone have an instruction manual for the WalMart version of Q-Bert (the Arcade Classics)?  I somehow lost mine and would like someone to scan their copy and post it in the Wanted section so that I can print it out and put it in my binder.  :)  I have a binder for all my notes and scores for each mini arcade I have.  It's been a fun project so far and seeing my scores over time I hope to see my progression with each title.

Anyway, if you can help me out that would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 8:24 AM, negative1 said:

you are right wolfy62: here's dig dug, what else was there...

millipede, combat, pong:

series 2:

micro space invaders:

asteroids, break out and pong:

can't find a video of micro qbert though.

s-l500.jpg

later

I just saw an ad from Deep discounts for a micro arcade Frogger.

It is a preorder only and it didnt say what series it is.

• 2 weeks later...

I got some of those Micro Arcades to give away as cheap Christmas presents last year... Gamestop had a few for $5-$7 for a bit.

I purchased one of the Neo Geo Minis during the $30 Amazon sale a few months back -- does anyone know how easily they can be hacked?  The game selection isn't great, but the device would make a fun little early 80s arcade box...

11 minutes ago, DavidD said:

I got some of those Micro Arcades to give away as cheap Christmas presents last year... Gamestop had a few for $5-$7 for a bit.

I purchased one of the Neo Geo Minis during the $30 Amazon sale a few months back -- does anyone know how easily they can be hacked?  The game selection isn't great, but the device would make a fun little early 80s arcade box...

It isn't the easiest to hack, some of them are just made differently inside than others as to specific parts it appears.  The hold up this long has been that if you have one of the bad ones, it breaks the joystick so you can't play, but if you don't then you're fine.  I think the guy who was doing all this figured it out, but I never followed up on it for much of this year so you probably should look.  I know if you get one that works (unless any do now?) that it'll run whatever MVS game you toss at it just fine.

21 hours ago, DavidD said:

Man,for $30. That's a great pickup 

I actually like the picture for the games on my big screen just fine.

Plenty of great games on the machine at that price!?

Great price on the micro arcades too.

I just purchased the new 3 series 3 games and spent $60.

If I could wait.....

Edited by wolfy62
Adding info.

Here is a set of 6 LEGO buildable mini-arcade (non-playable):

https://www.amazon.com/Classics-Arcade-Buildable-Asteroids-Centipede/dp/B0876NKYGY/ref=sr_1_4?tag=genxgrownup-20

51nOEy2+icL._AC_.jpg

• Series 1 includes Space Invaders, Asteroids, Centipede, Frogger, Q-Bert and Breakout!
  • 39 Construction Building bricks in each set

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 8:47 PM, Tanooki said:

It isn't the easiest to hack, some of them are just made differently inside than others as to specific parts it appears.  The hold up this long has been that if you have one of the bad ones, it breaks the joystick so you can't play, but if you don't then you're fine.  I think the guy who was doing all this figured it out, but I never followed up on it for much of this year so you probably should look.  I know if you get one that works (unless any do now?) that it'll run whatever MVS game you toss at it just fine.

I've been looking, but I can't find much information that isn't a year old...

There are RECENT posts from folks claiming they have everything figured out, but they weirdly refuse to provide any information unless folks login to telegram.  I'm assuming they must be sharing custom images with ROMs prebuilt, which explains the lack of publicly accessible info...

10 hours ago, Tanooki said:

So this from May 2020 doesn't work?

Ah, I'll have to look at that -- although I do wish more people just wrote up instructions instead of posting 10-15 minute videos.  He has a link to a google drive with the software, so I'll have to take a loot at it later.

I might wait until an easily-accessible guide on adding other emulators emerges.  This is promising, though!

11 hours ago, DavidD said:

Ah, I'll have to look at that -- although I do wish more people just wrote up instructions instead of posting 10-15 minute videos.  He has a link to a google drive with the software, so I'll have to take a loot at it later.

I might wait until an easily-accessible guide on adding other emulators emerges.  This is promising, though!

Unless you know what you're doing, and its written well, a written guide is useless.

Watching a video is superior in every way. You can pause anytime you want, and understand exactly what is going, 

and what to do.

later

• Like 2

That's why I remembered this as I watched it unfold for months as this guy kept going and going and hitting a wall, finally with all the nice videos and stuff more help stepped in and they fixed the joystick issue.  I've been too lazy to attempt it, before hand, feared joystick destruction.  I just like it as a cheap toy on my desk ultimately since I have a real cabinet next to me here.  I imagine if I had a controller or two for it, and wanted to run it off my TV maybe then I'd go to the effort, but at that rate I'd rather do that Hylo hack on the actual joystick device instead in that case.

On 7/3/2020 at 12:35 PM, negative1 said:

Here is a set of 6 LEGO buildable mini-arcade (non-playable):

https://www.amazon.com/Classics-Arcade-Buildable-Asteroids-Centipede/dp/B0876NKYGY/ref=sr_1_4?tag=genxgrownup-20

51nOEy2+icL._AC_.jpg

• Series 1 includes Space Invaders, Asteroids, Centipede, Frogger, Q-Bert and Breakout!
  • 39 Construction Building bricks in each set

later

Thanks for the info,I just purchased the last set.

I am a sucker for video game stuff! ??

• 2 weeks later...

On 7/21/2020 at 1:54 PM, negative1 said:

Mine should be here tomorrow. 

I ordered 3 more 4 way cables as well so I can now hook up 24 mini machines at the same time to my coln changer charger.

I will post pics when I get my Dragons Lair mini from New Wave toys soon and hook everything I have up.

Except for the Arcade Classics because they dont have USB charge ports and only run on batteries,the big drawback to those units.

And the tiny arcade minis,same thing.