IGNORED

Mini Arcade Alert!

simbalion

Welp now that I've seen the video of it, I'm in for one. Why not. :lol:  I also will be suckered into buying the Numbskull one as well I'm sure.. whenever it comes out.

It's interesting to me how they went for the Japanese arcade cabinet design (which is great for me because I've always preferred it over the Midway cab) but now what I wonder is if in the future, they decide to do Space Invaders Part 2, will they go for the japanese version as well?  Japanese SI Part 2 artwork differs a lot from Midway SI Deluxe, but information or even screenshots of it is pretty hard to find on the internet. It's not even in Mame yet. 

6 hours ago, BitMerge6502 said:

Does anyone know when this Oregon Trail Micro arcade release?

81Vvs-nykXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I just checked Amazon.

They say it's in stock,and $19.99.

Delivery expected to you by August 11 or so.So,I just ordered it!?

They did not however have the Frogger yet. 

Edited by wolfy62

18 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

I just checked Amazon.

They say it's in stock,and $19.99.

Delivery expected to you by August 11 or so.So,I just ordered it!?

They did not however have the Frogger yet. 

Thanks! I've been checking Amazon frequently, they must've just listed it recently. I had a pre order from Bigbadtoystore. They never get anything in stock in a timely manner. This will be the second pre order I've had to cancel because I found it elsewhere. Yes, I'm also awaiting the frogger. I have the Arcade mini Frogger, which is essentially the same, but I prefer the controls on the micro arcade. Still no saving of high scores?

21 hours ago, Noah98 said:

Give us Asteroids Deluxe with button controls next!

I am wondering if the screen on this design would be big enough to make out Asteroids Deluxe's smaller details. Those of you with the Space Invaders unit, do you think Asteroids Deluxe would even work? Do you imagine you could even see the details well enough?

the numskull 1/4 scale looks better, but might not have the mirror though,

better construction, but still a joystick like the japanese version:

http://www.numskull.com/space-invaders-quarter-scale-arcade-cabinet/

Quarter-Arcades-Space-Invaders-Scale-Ima

out later this year.

dig dug comes out in november,

also  2 40th anniversary pac-man ones.

http://www.numskull.com/pac-man-40th-anniversary-quarter-arcade-exclusive-signed-edition/

PACMAN-40th-Signed-Arcade-Machine-NS-01.

WM-%E3%83%9F%E3%83%8B%E7%AD%90%E4%BD%93%

http://www.numskull.com/pac-man-40th-anniversary-quarter-arcade/

pac-man-40th-arcade-machine-gs-01-1-copy

later

11 hours ago, negative1 said:

the numskull 1/4 scale looks better, but might not have the mirror though,

better construction, but still a joystick like the japanese version:

http://www.numskull.com/space-invaders-quarter-scale-arcade-cabinet/

Quarter-Arcades-Space-Invaders-Scale-Ima

out later this year.

Hmm, I purposely pre-ordered the Numskull one because I thought it had the mirror. I guess I'll have to double-check. No mirror, no interest.

• Like 1

While that remains to be seen, at the end of the day the Numskull one at least has the scale dimensions of the actual cab which is a plus in my book.. Just cool to have on display somewhere :lol: That said, SI will probably be the one and only Numskull game I ever get.. they're a little big to get too many.

Unless of course they somehow released this one too... I'd pre-order day one.  I'd even settle for a deformed My Arcade version. :)

image1.jpg.5bea300e7c5ab79d7475e03c57e0bf0a.jpg  2116496412_TaitoSpaceInvadersPart2playfield2.thumb.jpg.531569f828fd7630f06a4fe2ae55cafe.jpg

4 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Hmm, I purposely pre-ordered the Numskull one because I thought it had the mirror. I guess I'll have to double-check. No mirror, no interest.

Bill,

Don't quote me on it though. I've checked their site, and all others for information.

But I've only found them mentioning an LCD.

Maybe they are using a mirror. But I haven't found confirmation about it yet.

might want to email them directly to find out.

later

1 hour ago, Bill Loguidice said:

That seems silly. They emphasize game accuracy, so it's clearly for people to play.

I am talking about the ergonomics.

Only 1 person (at least on youtube) has hit the killscreen on pac-man.

The centipede trackball is too tiny to accurately play.

Same with the spinner (even the larger size one) on tempest.

I'm sure I could killscreen galaga, and galaxian probably plays fine (but i'm not an expert at that).

ms pac-man is playable, but i'm sure my hands would cramp up after several hours.

i'm thinking about getting the dig dug one, but even then i doubt i would be able to get to 1,000,000 or more on it.

even though the myarcade multi-namco one is about the same size, (i don't like the joystick placement):

GUEST_e205bd66-9803-4a1f-ab73-5e1837dd16

i am able to play the vast majority of the same games on it for much longer periods of time,

and have decent scores on pac-man, galaga, dig dug, etc.

do you really think playing 2 player bubble bobble on numskulls version will be pleasant,

or track and field, street fighter 2, or dragons lair?

i don't think so.

space invaders might be playable with that joystick, but forget about setting any highscores

on it.

later

Edited by negative1

ok I finally got to open up mine.. it is indeed really nice. However:

1) It's not a 100% direct emulation of the arcade game.. and by that I mean you don't get a 300 point UFO on the 23rd shot. So, something's changed :lol: I'm not sure if it was done purposefully.. maybe?

2) Also as mentioned in some reviews, the marching sound of the invaders, which is a huge part of the arcade game's atmosphere is very much lacking.

3) The screen is tiny.. so in regards to whether it's meant for actual play or not, I will say that for me it's not ideal.. but that's just my aged eyes :P The controls work well with an actual 2-way joystick with white ball handle just like the Taito original, and not just another lazy standard 4-way/8-way stick with only 2 directions working, or *shudder* a d-pad with a stick in the middle like some of the earlier MyArcade units. 

With that out of the way, the rest of the plays near perfect as far as I can tell! e.g. The timing of the gameplay feels right. You can do the old 'rainbow' invader leaving-a-trail behind it trick. The invaders don't appear to shoot on the bottom row (in the few seconds I tried the trick), so hopefully it means the strategies for the upper levels will work.  And of course, the presentation is awesome. The mirror and colored overlay effects makes all the difference (vs. artificially coloring the invaders green the lower they get to the bottom). That mirror alone in my eyes easily makes it the BEST of the little toy arcade cabinets we've seen in recent years.  The designers were obviously very thoughtful of the 1977 cabinet design. It's almost as if they actually put some love into it. :lol:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I'm thinking control will be less of an issue on the Space Invaders. I guess I'll see.

I'm waiting to hear back from them about the mirrored screen. 

This is the response I got back:

Hello,

Yes, this is a replica of the standard size arcade.

Regards,

Numskull Team

I sent a reply back clarifying my query because I think they *may* have misunderstood when I asked them about the mirrored display.

8 hours ago, NE146 said:

3) The screen is tiny.. so in regards to whether it's meant for actual play or not, I will say that for me it's not ideal..

Out of curiosity, do you think if they tried to make Asteroids Deluxe this way the game would be viewable? I'm thinking more complex / detailed games just aren't going to be possible to see clearly with this design.