IGNORED

Mini Arcade Alert!

simbalion

been playing the Myarcade handheld pac-man in MAME

(they've also converted the data east multicade and other titles).

got 3.1 million in pac-man (savestates to continue). anyways, there is no killscreen,

it just goes back to level 1 cherry for level 256.

Nice to know there was other versions.
Differences i noted:
1 music before every level
2 the last two intermissions repeat until level 256
3 the 5-8th keys, ghosts don't blink, should blink on 6th key though
4 the 9th key is correct, pac-man moves slowly until level 256
5 NO killscreen, the level goes back to 1, cherry
(used savestates)
6 eating a fruit doesn't make a sound
7 eating dot sound is wrong
8 red ghost and purple ghost are switched in position
otherwise, its a pretty good clone of the arcade pac-man

later
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Zoyous said:

New Wave Toys sent out an email saying that Dragon's Lair and Asteroids will be on sale to the general public starting at 11am PST tomorrow (January 5).

My pre-ordered Asteroids is supposed to arrive tomorrow, as well.

I was fortunate enough to have the free time to jump onto the website right at 11am PST when Dragon's Lair went back into stock and got my order in. Dragon's Lair sold out again after about 5 minutes, so hopefully everyone who wanted one managed to get one.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, teh_lurv said:

I was fortunate enough to have the free time to jump onto the website right at 11am PST when Dragon's Lair went back into stock and got my order in. Dragon's Lair sold out again after about 5 minutes, so hopefully everyone who wanted one managed to get one.

Glad you got yours,its the best looking of all their machines!?

• Like 1

I'm still aggravated it appears I'll never get my hands on that SF2 cabinet.

Curious though, they never do seem to sell out of the USB joystick so like will that work with PC, mac, android, etc if it can take the USB jack?  That could be a handy mini joystick for some arcade PC time.

17 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Curious though, they never do seem to sell out of the USB joystick so like will that work with PC, mac, android, etc if it can take the USB jack?  That could be a handy mini joystick for some arcade PC time.

I own one and Steam recognizes it as a generic USB controller. I also gave it a try on one of those "everything" controller adapter USB dongles they sell for the Switch, but I had no luck getting it to work on my Switch.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 7:38 PM, Tanooki said:

I'm still aggravated it appears I'll never get my hands on that SF2 cabinet.

I believe New Wave Toys has begun discussions about reissuing their previously released and sold out units.

It seems the consensus from collectors is there is no reason to limit them, and everyone who wants a certain machine should be able to get it.

I fully agree.  The average person who really can appreciate and wants one should not be unable to get one because of scalpers and speculators. 

That being said,I hope they do reissue Street Fighter and you and anyone else who missed it will finally get one!

Hope it works out.?

I couldn't agree more.  The smart businessman would see reason to your argument there others made, but also not to put themselves at risk, do it much like Atlus has since like the last 20 years... staged, tiered in quantity print runs of the games.  As long as they entirely sell through, do the same quantity.  Each time you run a clock on it and see how many hours, days, weeks it takes to run out.  Then use that data to project what smaller run to do until it hits a point it's just financially stupid.  At that rate, mothball it a year, two, three, then gauge response and see if a re-issue is warranted.  That way everyone can get it, not just those with bots, scalper filth, and the few who do care who get lucky at the right place, right microsecond.

I do like the others, yet strangely, despite sucking to hell at it, the only one I'd really moderately consider would be Dragon's Lair.  Love the cartoon, love the game as a cartoon cobbled, REALLY love the Wii and later release with optional QTE prompts too.  I sort of love the original, because my short term rote memory is crap, so I never can get more than a few screens or more, just depends on the scene as the more common they are the more likely I'll recall the movement+timing. The less often are guaranteed fails.  And at $120 that's a bit steep for a lot of fury and depression. :)  SF2 though, I used to school the hell out of players on a real machine 20 years ago about now and while I suck at it still compared, on defaults I can still beat the game at least even if it's skating by.

• Like 1

I was able to order dragons lair last week. Still no idea when it will shut but that’s ok, just glad I was able to get one and replicade has done it justice.  Just wish there was a way to add in DL2 and Space Ace but I’m greedy that way ;)

Edited by Loafer
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Probably I haven't seen Basic Fun there trying very hard anymore as they used to.  MyArcade has been at it but these deluxe models with Contra and Space Invaders but the premium price I bet is an instant turn off to most people who aren't die hard fans when you ask $50 for it even if they are well done.  I wouldn't drop that on either, but if I ever saw one in a clearance bin, second hand or whatever for like 1/2 or less sure.  I liked the $20 price point Basic Fun had, and they didn't even cheap out including batteries, but MyArcade was at $35 and you had to supply your own so I ignored them entirely.  I think they both did great work on their NES ROM based choices they gave, and then the later ones such as Spy Hunter which was done from the ground up (though why why why 1 button so it's gun or secondary weapon) or even the increased hacks to NES stuff bringing completeness that Rampage had which added in the missing werewolf.

I think if you're going to get a premium one out there, SNK did it right, so did Sega with their blast city that stayed in Japan annoyingly.  Sure they're over $100 when they came out, but the game library and build quality is more in line with that.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Probably I haven't seen Basic Fun there trying very hard anymore as they used to.  MyArcade has been at it but these deluxe models with Contra and Space Invaders but the premium price I bet is an instant turn off to most people who aren't die hard fans when you ask $50 for it even if they are well done.  I wouldn't drop that on either, but if I ever saw one in a clearance bin, second hand or whatever for like 1/2 or less sure.  I liked the $20 price point Basic Fun had, and they didn't even cheap out including batteries, but MyArcade was at $35 and you had to supply your own so I ignored them entirely.  I think they both did great work on their NES ROM based choices they gave, and then the later ones such as Spy Hunter which was done from the ground up (though why why why 1 button so it's gun or secondary weapon) or even the increased hacks to NES stuff bringing completeness that Rampage had which added in the missing werewolf.

I think if you're going to get a premium one out there, SNK did it right, so did Sega with their blast city that stayed in Japan annoyingly.  Sure they're over $100 when they came out, but the game library and build quality is more in line with that.

They could both re-release everything, and do it right this time. Use the arcade rom, put in a better joystick thats centered, and change the cabinet form to look more like an arcade cabinet, and then I would re-buy everyone of them that I would like.

I don't care about the price, so thats not a factor.

Since I have the Namco classics compilation, I don't ever need to buy another mini arcade again, unless they put out an arcade game version of a game that is not already on there.

later

• Like 2

I think everyone's just done with joystick games. I hear the same complaint in the Arcade1Up groups that if a new game comes out that's just a joystick and button game less people are interested in those. I have always said put a steering wheel on some of these! There was one attempt by Tiny Arcade (Pole Position) but it was just a joystick that looks like a steering wheel and not an actual analog controller.

Heck even Spy Hunter was a joystick, what the .. ??

• Like 3

new wave toys replicade 1942 preview:

We’re pleased to announce our first “shmup” is coming soon! Stay tuned for more details on the ROMSTAR / CAPCOM arcade classic 1942

https://publish.twitter.com/?query=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FNewWaveToys%2Fstatus%2F1359272913560510467&widget=Tweet

https://www.facebook.com/282599115517383/posts/here-is-the-first-look-at-1942-x-replicade-this-is-an-awesome-form-factor-for-an/675167772927180/

62553376_675167272927230_610036242098579

62611479_675167279593896_419975546884482

later

1 hour ago, negative1 said:

new wave toys replicade 1942 preview:

Looks cool. I don't think I ever saw a cabinet like that in the wild. I like that it will have multiple games and HDMI out, but moving forward, I think I'll just collect the Atari cabinets in this series. I'm not even sure about Missile Command, although I played the hell out of the 2600 version as a kid and occasionally played the arcade game, it is a real downer of a game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zoyous said:

I'm not even sure about Missile Command.

I'm with ya. The fact Missile Command is balls-orifically hard under normal conditions then combined with small controls makes me say nope to Missile Command when they release it.

Just waiting to see what the last three are. Still can't guess from their silhouettes. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Zoyous said:

Looks cool. I don't think I ever saw a cabinet like that in the wild. I like that it will have multiple games and HDMI out, but moving forward, I think I'll just collect the Atari cabinets in this series. I'm not even sure about Missile Command, although I played the hell out of the 2600 version as a kid and occasionally played the arcade game, it is a real downer of a game.

I've only seen and played this version, maybe it was an american one only:

11812408172.jpg

later

^That's the 1942 I remember, never saw the caberet height style one, kind of shady giving Romstar any credit though as that's a Capcom game entirely I thought.  I do recall the side art though that small one has on the big cabinet.  Maybe tehre really wasn't a dedicated 1942 and they're just generic faux wood panel conversions with slapped on art.

I do like what replicade is doing, they may cost more, but they're so well done and if you really truly are a big enough fan to get your quarter haul out of it enough over time it's very worth it without eating up a huge amount of space.

• Like 2

I got lucky today and managed to snag a new Super Mario Brothers Game and Watch today for $40 at a resale shop that also stocks some new novelty items. It is amazing to think this game is no bigger than the LCD Super Mario Brothers game and watch that came out in the late 80's, yet it can do so much more. The screen is bright and sharp with great color. Sound is good and the controls seem crisp and responsive and it saves your game where you are at when you shut it off. Only gripes I have are the the super short recharge cord that has to be used on your PC USB slots and the 'manual' which is mostly warnings in different languages and charging instructions. Luckily, it wasn't hard to figure out how to set the time.

• Like 3