IGNORED

Mini Arcade Alert!

simbalion

18 hours ago, NE146 said:

Wow they did a very good job with that screen I have to say.. it's how it should look. I kind of regret not getting one.. ok not really. I suck at Asteroids :lol: But yeah, props to them!

Do you mean the screen, or the graphics on the screen.

Neither one is right, and neither one looks good, so I'm not sure what you're commenting on.

later

While that ridiculous contraption looks really appealing, it’s hard to imagine they got licensing agreements with Atari, Namco, Williams/Midway/Warner Bros, Activision, Konami, AND Taito for this thing. Doesn’t pass the smell test. If it IS for real, Evercade need to work on their license dealmaking game ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, save2600 said:

^  Ha!

The Atari offering has Defender pictured, but titled Star Ship. And Pole Position says Indy 500. Par for the course today!   :lol:

probably due to licensing

33 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

While that ridiculous contraption looks really appealing, it’s hard to imagine they got licensing agreements with Atari, Namco, Williams/Midway/Warner Bros, Activision, Konami, AND Taito for this thing. Doesn’t pass the smell test. If it IS for real, Evercade need to work on their license dealmaking game ?

why wouldn't it be real, arcade 1up had minature mockups of atari, colecovision, and commodore mini units in their 2020

CES, or E3 show.

probably finally just getting them approved.

they also have several new titles coming out in mini-coleco handheld shells at some point.

later

7 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

That’s a lot to shell out in licensing fees, and usually companies are reluctant to be seen together that way...

Considering that Defender and Pole Position are given different names they might be licensing the code of those games from Atari (who made the 2600 ports of the game) and possibly change some graphics if they're deemed to be to close to the arcade graphics owned by those companies.

17 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

That little Asteroids is cool!  But not at eBay prices cool...Oh well ... 

there were several mentions of pre-orders for it quite awhile ago.

these are limited runs, so they always go up when ebay prices go around.

that said, tempest is still pretty cheap, as its not as popular.

later

On 2/24/2021 at 5:28 PM, negative1 said:

Do you mean the screen, or the graphics on the screen.

Neither one is right, and neither one looks good, so I'm not sure what you're commenting on.

later

That's why I think your username is appropriate, because you are always the negative one.   Plenty of people in this thread have thought things are good that you do not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/24/2021 at 8:05 PM, negative1 said:

probably due to licensing

Looks like Replicade have a problem with licensing too. Just got the ad for 1942 and it says "PLEASE NOTE: Due to licensing restrictions these items are only available to ship to the United States and Canada"

Anyone got the inside scoop why that's a problem?

15 hours ago, ComputerSpaceFan said:

Looks like Replicade have a problem with licensing too. Just got the ad for 1942 and it says "PLEASE NOTE: Due to licensing restrictions these items are only available to ship to the United States and Canada"

Anyone got the inside scoop why that's a problem?

capcom has different licensing rights for asia, europe, japan, and north america.

happens with all their games.

later

• 4 weeks later...

I found one at the Target, only one they had in too.  I just cracked it open about a half hour ago.  I have to say, unlike SE and Contra which I struggle to see how either (especially Contra) are worth the premium $50 price rate, this one, this one is in another league of build quality.

It does in fact use microswitches on the 8 way joystick and buttons, same click and feel to it as they roll over.  I will say for 100% certain, it both works, and correctly *BUT* if you're at all used to playing using a 16bit era or later d-pad or a console or really and especially the original sized joystick you'll have a learning curve.

I'm working on it now, but I can not pull off consistently the fireball (improving) motion still, and the dragon punch one is even more finicky.  The thing is, it's not the system, it's me.  I know I'm missing one of the microswitches, or in the case of the dragon punch, I'm pulling by habit too far back from forward to down, and cracking the down/back one as well which ends that move breaking the pattern.

The video that guy had done you which got linked above, not bad.  Visually it's right on the nose, audio of course too, it's arcade and emulated correctly.  Stretching if you can call it that in this case, it really doesn't you can't tell so those tiny black pillar boxes are just stupid to leave(and won't default to it.)  Brightness varies a good bit, but nothing critical yet I bet it's to save on battery (I've got it going on USB at the moment in demo mode.)  It is LOUD, very loud, annoyingly defaults (doesn't save settings) to 50% which appears to be 14 clicks north of off, so it's a 28 click volume slider.  The dipswitch to the 7 levels of difficulty is overly welcome, I'd be losing my cool playing it on default until I can get comfortable with the reduced size stick.  Visually on the exterior, amazing, every bit of detail of a cherry machine off the factory floor is right there.  The only real thing 'off' would just be the compromises for the given shape of the device as it's wide yet not so deep, but it is after all a desktop or lap toy.  I'm not sure again in the video, what he was on about with it not working on a counter top as I tried it in my lap, then on my desk and it has that quite grippy soft-ish pads across each corner and a fifth in the middle and it never slipped in the slightest.  I'll have to tinker with my desk a bit, this is going next to the neo geo, and if it still fits that Galaga my arcade I have too I found a month back second hand since it uses the same power source.

I can say for certain, if you had the need to get a couple to play with friends or a friend at one, this is the one where the $100 price to get TWO of them would be utterly and completely justified, if you're a SF2(CE) fan.

• Like 2

On 4/24/2021 at 11:56 AM, Tanooki said:

I found one at the Target, only one they had in too.  I just cracked it open about a half hour ago.  I have to say, unlike SE and Contra which I struggle to see how either (especially Contra) are worth the premium $50 price rate, this one, this one is in another league of build quality.

It does in fact use microswitches on the 8 way joystick and buttons, same click and feel to it as they roll over.  I will say for 100% certain, it both works, and correctly *BUT* if you're at all used to playing using a 16bit era or later d-pad or a console or really and especially the original sized joystick you'll have a learning curve.

I'm working on it now, but I can not pull off consistently the fireball (improving) motion still, and the dragon punch one is even more finicky.  The thing is, it's not the system, it's me.  I know I'm missing one of the microswitches, or in the case of the dragon punch, I'm pulling by habit too far back from forward to down, and cracking the down/back one as well which ends that move breaking the pattern.

The video that guy had done you which got linked above, not bad.  Visually it's right on the nose, audio of course too, it's arcade and emulated correctly.  Stretching if you can call it that in this case, it really doesn't you can't tell so those tiny black pillar boxes are just stupid to leave(and won't default to it.)  Brightness varies a good bit, but nothing critical yet I bet it's to save on battery (I've got it going on USB at the moment in demo mode.)  It is LOUD, very loud, annoyingly defaults (doesn't save settings) to 50% which appears to be 14 clicks north of off, so it's a 28 click volume slider.  The dipswitch to the 7 levels of difficulty is overly welcome, I'd be losing my cool playing it on default until I can get comfortable with the reduced size stick.  Visually on the exterior, amazing, every bit of detail of a cherry machine off the factory floor is right there.  The only real thing 'off' would just be the compromises for the given shape of the device as it's wide yet not so deep, but it is after all a desktop or lap toy.  I'm not sure again in the video, what he was on about with it not working on a counter top as I tried it in my lap, then on my desk and it has that quite grippy soft-ish pads across each corner and a fifth in the middle and it never slipped in the slightest.  I'll have to tinker with my desk a bit, this is going next to the neo geo, and if it still fits that Galaga my arcade I have too I found a month back second hand since it uses the same power source.

I can say for certain, if you had the need to get a couple to play with friends or a friend at one, this is the one where the $100 price to get TWO of them would be utterly and completely justified, if you're a SF2(CE) fan.

Thank you for the detailed analysis. I've been watching reviews of the SF My Arcade and I'd like to know from a really good SF player how well this cab plays. Much appreciated.

Well I'm a crap player compared to back in the 90s to be fair, but my memory serves me well, just not my reaction time anymore I guess. :D  I can skate by but I don't destroy stuff easily as I once did.  I cut my teeth on SF2/CE and MK1 at the same time, mastered them to where people wouldn't put quarters down on the machine where I was as it was a pointless gesture.  I used a mix of SNES play and arcade play to figure itout, SNES cranked up the max difficulty.  It stuck with me enough I still can get by usually unless I have a bad day, and the other day I did get a pair of dual perfects on battle 2 (r1 and r2) against Blanka using Ryu which was tight, and another single one a bit earlier on E Honda.  I swear the game works right, the consistency issue with the motions is muscle memory, almost to a damned fault.  I imagine if someone went in not used to a full sized stick, maybe only played on a controller or not at all, and just learned it, they'd be rocking those fireballs, charge backs, dragon punches and the rest quite easily.

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Well I'm a crap player compared to back in the 90s to be fair, but my memory serves me well, just not my reaction time anymore I guess. :D  I can skate by but I don't destroy stuff easily as I once did.  I cut my teeth on SF2/CE and MK1 at the same time, mastered them to where people wouldn't put quarters down on the machine where I was as it was a pointless gesture.  I used a mix of SNES play and arcade play to figure itout, SNES cranked up the max difficulty.  It stuck with me enough I still can get by usually unless I have a bad day, and the other day I did get a pair of dual perfects on battle 2 (r1 and r2) against Blanka using Ryu which was tight, and another single one a bit earlier on E Honda.  I swear the game works right, the consistency issue with the motions is muscle memory, almost to a damned fault.  I imagine if someone went in not used to a full sized stick, maybe only played on a controller or not at all, and just learned it, they'd be rocking those fireballs, charge backs, dragon punches and the rest quite easily.

How's the quality of that stick as far as durability? Think it would break after a year?