IGNORED

Mini Arcade Alert!

simbalion

On 7/4/2021 at 11:08 AM, Tanooki said:

I know these are somewhat older, but yesterday I scored for 50 cents each the MyArcade Bad Dudes and the Basic Fun DigDug.  I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on either?  The first seems to just be a straight NES port, hard and unforgiving but it is what it is.  The other though it's one of those newer coded ones BF did I think, seems to be closely enough accurate to the original, definitely not another Famicom port.

My thought is,50 cents?

Those are great pickups!?

1 hour ago, wolfy62 said:

My thought is,50 cents?

Those are great pickups!?

My feeling exactly.  He was a dollar on DD, but then said hey I have this, but I can't get it beyond the title screen so it's broken or low battery, so how about both for the dollar.  I was like, sure!

7 minutes ago, teh_lurv said:

I received a Q*Bert themed mailing from New Wave Toys in the mail today. No mention on their web site, but I assume that's the next mini-cabinet they're working on?

Yes,exactly. Once they deliver 1942 and 1943,Q-bert should be next.

I am hoping my card will be in today's mail!

On 7/3/2021 at 3:02 PM, negative1 said:

That's very worrying. They have had issues with almost every machine they've put out.

My centipede gave out after a few months, and they have no clue on how to fix it, or replace anything.

Tempest is unplayable with either spinner.

Qbert will have a ton of issues with the controls, and also, how in the world are they

going to have the knocker sound inside sound like the original.

later

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with Centipede and Tempest. Is Tempest not controlling properly because it's broken or because it's poorly designed?

1 hour ago, RREDDWARFF said:

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with Centipede and Tempest. Is Tempest not controlling properly because it's broken or because it's poorly designed?

He just has negative things to say about them all, hence his username.

• Haha 2

New Wave Toys confirmed that Q*bert will have a knocker built in to the cabinet.

Another intriguing thing I forgot to mention ~ a couple of weeks ago, they sent out a survey asking if people would be interested in them building 1/6 scale v-pinball machines.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zoyous said:

New Wave Toys confirmed that Q*bert will have a knocker built in to the cabinet.

Another intriguing thing I forgot to mention ~ a couple of weeks ago, they sent out a survey asking if people would be interested in them building 1/6 scale v-pinball machines.

I hope they do make the mini pinball machines to enhance the other video game machines in my 1/6th scale arcade.

Word is they would be digital screens,not actual smaller scale working pinball machines. 

That is totally fine with me,they sound really cool and would look great!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

I hope they do make the mini pinball machines to enhance the other video game machines in my 1/6th scale arcade.

Word is they would be digital screens,not actual smaller scale working pinball machines. 

That is totally fine with me,they sound really cool and would look great!

This is crazy. I pre-ordered Q*bert yesterday. As soon as I put my order in I looked up and thought, "Man, I wish they would make some retro pinball machines." 

Boom, wish granted.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RREDDWARFF said:

This is crazy. I pre-ordered Q*bert yesterday. As soon as I put my order in I looked up and thought, "Man, I wish they would make some retro pinball machines." 

Boom, wish granted.

Yeah, well bearing in mind, it seems they're just gauging interest right now, but fingers crossed. The survey also asked in general terms how much you'd be willing to pay for it, and had a few options ranging from "I'd pay top dollar" to "I'd consider it if the price is lower"... I can't remember exactly how it was phrased but it was something like that. I would expect them to be somewhat more expensive than the video game cabinets if they have DMD displays and/or LED scoreboards but I'm not sure how much more. The inclusion of the knocker in Q*bert might explain the increase in price of the preorder, or it might also just be the overall increase in the cost of all the parts.

8 minutes ago, Zoyous said:

Yeah, well bearing in mind, it seems they're just gauging interest right now, but fingers crossed. The survey also asked in general terms how much you'd be willing to pay for it, and had a few options ranging from "I'd pay top dollar" to "I'd consider it if the price is lower"... I can't remember exactly how it was phrased but it was something like that. I would expect them to be somewhat more expensive than the video game cabinets if they have DMD displays and/or LED scoreboards but I'm not sure how much more. The inclusion of the knocker in Q*bert might explain the increase in price of the preorder, or it might also just be the overall increase in the cost of all the parts.

I would be willing to pay up to $200 for a Replicade pinball machine, but much more than that, I'd have to pass. Also given the size of the machines, I could only fit 1 or 2. I'm hoping for Firepower and Gorgar. Of course, if Pin-bot came along I'd have to buy that too 

Edited by RREDDWARFF
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, RREDDWARFF said:

Tempest is just flat out poorly designed, and doesn't scale properly for the controls.

Centipede is just flawed from the start. Although I did hit 600,000 on it before it gave out and stopped working.

These toys are just for looks, and not really meant for any kind of serious play.

They are good for about a minute - 5 minutes. But beyond that the ergonomic issue

of your hands and fingers cramping comes into play.

YES, someone got to the killscreen on Pac-Man, and numskull quarter arcade machines are much

more sturdy and built better. But then they're mostly joystick games, which aren't hard to make

later

Edited by negative1

8 hours ago, Zoyous said:

For the price they're asking, I'm willing to be a guinea pig and see how well Q*bert plays.

I can play past 1,000,000  (but not forever). So i can give it a really good workout, to see how well it plays.

Faster, harder more challenging is a whole different story, and games on that don't last very long at all.

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

diy tiny arcade kit:

https://tinycircuits.com/products/tinyarcade

ASK3001-C-Product-Photo-04.2_1800x1800.p

build it yourself

It’s all in the name: an arcade so itty-bitty it fits in the palm of your hand. The Tiny Arcade by TinyCircuits puts the “fun” in “functional,” giving you a miniature that doesn’t just imitate a life-sized machine but performs like one too. Enjoy classic video games on this fully-functioning mini arcade wherever and whenever you want. Whether you are looking to recreate your childhood memories or make new ones, the Tiny Arcade is simple to build and simple to use.

In addition, watching videos or movies on your Tiny Arcade is simple, just use our TSVconverter-a free tool to convert any MP4 file. Just load the files on to a microSD card and enjoy hours of entertainment!

If you’re looking to exercise your programming skills, you can learn how to develop your own games to play on the Tiny Arcade and share in the TinyCircuits community under our forum.

later

Edited by negative1

Hey folks,I just ordered this from Play Asia. 

The shipping is totally reasonable at $40.,unlike the $180. Amazon Japan wanted me to pay,which I decided not to do a couple weeks back.

Really glad I waited,and also glad I didnt have to compete for it later with scalpers from somewhere like limited run games. It's a win-win!?

Screenshot_20210725-103451_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Errgh... $440 for a tabletop mini arcade??

I'm torn.

On one end I'd love nothing more than to see this thing bomb hard for only the reason being the unreasonable high price.  But on the other end I'd like to see it win too, as it may encourage more good 80s/90s companies to do this.  I just get a bit sick seeing a tabletop toy clocking in at an arcade1up price point for a full sized stand up cab with the riser in some cases.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I'm torn.

On one end I'd love nothing more than to see this thing bomb hard for only the reason being the unreasonable high price.  But on the other end I'd like to see it win too, as it may encourage more good 80s/90s companies to do this.  I just get a bit sick seeing a tabletop toy clocking in at an arcade1up price point for a full sized stand up cab with the riser in some cases.

Yeah,deluxe edition or not,that is expensive. Its definitely not for everyone or in everyone's budget..

I just didnt want to regret missing out on any components later and this way I wont.

Plus it comes with some pretty major arcade games from the past.

The trackball controller will be cool and it's still less than $10. per game which most of are from the arcades.

It's a great visual match for the Astro city mini and I have already made stands for both units so they will fit in my New Wave Toys mini arcade setup. It's perfect for me at least.?

20210725_135853.jpg

Edited by wolfy62
Added content.
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I'm torn.

Yeah this priced a bit high. Especially seeing as there are so many products that are similar out there that are significantly cheaper.

1 hour ago, RREDDWARFF said:

Yeah this priced a bit high. Especially seeing as there are so many products that are similar out there that are significantly cheaper.

Can you tell me where you can get something that had 3 extra control pads. A mini trackball, a mini spinner, and arcade quality games.

Along with a screen that rotates for cheaper.

I sure would like to see something like that.

You can't.

That's why it costs that price, which is a bargain actually for what you're getting.

Sure the Sega Astrocity one was pretty expensive, and that didn't even come with specialty controllers.

--

Everytime I hear people complain about prices, they should stick with the basic fun or the other $20 ones and see what quality

you're getting with those.

These is a magnitude of order better than any of those.

The replicade and quarter arcades are in the range of $150-$250, but only have 1-2 games, and dedicated cabinets.

This is the multicade equivalent with 10 times the number of games on it.

later

Edited by negative1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, negative1 said:

Can you tell me where you can get something that had 3 extra control pads. A mini trackball, a mini spinner, and arcade quality games.

You can't.

That's why it costs that price, which is a bargain actually for what you're getting.

Sure the Sega Astrocity one was pretty expensive, and that didn't even come with specialty controllers.

--

Everytime I hear people complain about prices, they should stick with the basic fun or the other $20 ones and see what quality

The replicade and quarter arcades are in the range of $150-$250, but only have 1-2 games, and dedicated cabinets.

later

Very well said,I agree!?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, negative1 said:

You can't.

--

later

Where's the complaining dumbass? What a dipsh-t reply. 

Edited by RREDDWARFF

5 hours ago, RREDDWARFF said:

I thought I replied to this already,if I did my bad!

There are less expensive options such as the base unit for $169. or $299. with trackball,sd card and 10 extra games.

I  purchased the Deluxe edition because I wanted everything in one easy purchase rather than try to track stuff down later. 

Glad I had time to think about and preorder it, without it selling out before I could decide. ?

Screenshot_20210725-170509_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1